Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

K swap in a EK or EJ8 however you want to look at it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K swap in a EK or EJ8 however you want to look at it?

well i have not yet dont a K swap on any honda yet and i have been in the game way to long i see the hype on it all and never wanted to do it i love my D series to the end but i want to try some thing i have not yet.

my qustion is can any one point me in the deriction of a How to write up or a pretty good parts list? i googled it and searched on here and did not find to much.

my goal is to take my girlfriend new 1998 civic EX auto and swap it with a stock K series and still keep A/C and P/S not lookin to have a race car she dont street race and i dont any longer only dong the swap so i can simply say i have done it. and also for a little more power. and i want to clean the bay it is so nasty.

also i know if i convert the D over to stick i will want to boost it and i know she wont want another turbo honda lol.

so if i can find a goo parts list or a write up or some other build thred done with pretty good detail that would be great. i would really like to buy all needed parts and make it a weekend swap or even a week swap not any longer since it is a daily driver and i dont want to make it a project.

thanks h-t
Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K swep in a EK or EJ8 how ever you want to look at it?

Be prepared to spend 7 to 9 grand on this swap if u want it runnin perfectly.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i here alot of people saying that to me but i am pretty sure i can do it for less. i can make alot of **** i might need my self and i can get stuff on hand ahead of time. and i also figure that now that it has been done so many damn times and i see so many parts for sale used i can save some moeny that way also.

i see these K swap parts like fuel lines and coolent lines and radiators i can make all that my self. i dont need the name brand stuff some AN line building is cake for me. and cutting and moveing some coolent fittin on a ebay radiator is no big deal.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more power to u then
Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks i try to do as much as i can with out spendin cash like alot do
Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any one?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you click the FAQs sticky at the top?

(FAQs>Engine Mods, Swaps, Builds, and Appearance>swaps)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

K swaps can be done for the less than $7-9k. if you dont mind not useing brand new parts, brand name parts, and can find really good deals on things. And can do the work yourself.

Getting deals on parts these days should be a lot easier then a few years ago.

When we did my friend's the total was about $6500-7000k. That was due to getting very good deals on parts from other friends.
He paid like $2500 for a k24 block with k20a2 head and transmission!! But 2 years later the transmission has given up and will no longer shift into 2nd and getting it into 3rd and 4th is difficult.
The car is now being torn apart and basicly rebuilt, When everything is said and done he will likely be 10-12k in the swap total.

K swaps are not easy, but really arent as expensive as people say. But a kpro is still going to run you $1000 and harness like $350, mounts $500-600 and the motor it self $1000+ I have seen a k20a with bent valves and a destroyed piston sell for 2900k. (Long block+transmission, new clutch, RBC.)

Just be patient and look around, talk to friends.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All this work and money spent for 200hp....wow, kills me for all of the band wagon jumpers....but it's your car, do what you like
Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am not doing this for a band wagon hype i want to do just because i have not yet done it i undertstand the power to money work i can make well over 200hp by builting my D series i have done it number of time as well as built B series and all the swaps inbetween.

and i play to have a K swap done for around 2500
i already have a swap i got for 1000 bucks motor trans shifter cables and box
i can make my own hedder or mod a stock one save money
i can make my own harness i dont need to buy swap
mounts are mounts i can buy the new for 600 or look for used i see them pop up alot.
axles well used or new no big deal
rad i cam figure out my self
and on and on

just never done it so i am lookin for a good write up on parts list so i dont get in to it and missin that really needed item
Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Go here.
http://www.k20a.org/forum/
Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by goldhatch94
i am not doing this for a band wagon hype i want to do just because i have not yet done it i undertstand the power to money work i can make well over 200hp by builting my D series i have done it number of time as well as built B series and all the swaps inbetween.

mounts are mounts i can buy the new for 600 or look for used i see them pop up alot.
and on and on

just never done it so i am lookin for a good write up on parts list so i dont get in to it and missin that really needed item
sounds like a hack job...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K swap in a EK or EJ8 however you want to look at it?

if ur gonna do all that work u might as well spend the money and do it right the first time
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What you have planed doesnt sound good, your going to end up in the same boat as my friend is, re-doing almost everything. Why you ask? Because he skimped on important things.

You not get a k swap for 2500, period. the kpro is 1000 alone, then you still need to figure a tune in. $300+, not to metion everything else that you need.

Do you even know what mounts you want to use? Do you still want to use the 96-00 subframe or switch to a EG/DC?

You may think you have it all figured out, but you dont. This swap isnt for noob's, and is a **** ton more work than a B series swap.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and on and on

Try www.hybrid-racing.com... They have LOTS of good info there, and it's super easy to navigate through. One place to start would be here:

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/tech/k-series-faqs/

They have information about how to wire stuff up, how do get past the immobilizer (if your swap has one), dealing with fuel systems, shifting solutions, headers, height clearances, so on and so on...

Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Creepsjr
Try www.hybrid-racing.com... They have LOTS of good info there, and it's super easy to navigate through. One place to start would be here:

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/tech/k-series-faqs/

They have information about how to wire stuff up, how do get past the immobilizer (if your swap has one), dealing with fuel systems, shifting solutions, headers, height clearances, so on and so on...

Hope this helps!
WOW! a constructive post!

OP, i'd also try k20a.org
it is a forum pretty much dedicated to the cause

good luck. you'll need it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hack job how? i work and play in a fab shop so how is takeing a ebay radiator i alrady have and modding it for a K sawp?

i have done and can rewire alot of cars no issues why spend the money for some one in a big building and big name when i can simply do it my self???

i know i need a EG subframe and i still have one from my hatch i am not a noob at all i have owned countless hondas and dont countless swaps i have help with K swaps and J swaps and many others on other makes of cars so it is not all new to me. only thing new to me is doing it on my own car for my self.

mounts will most likely be hasport unless i find a used set of a different brand.

and why is it that every one thinks a K swap i s not less then 2500. i have owned many motors for 600 or so and sold. and i own a k swap i bougth for 1k bucks from some in need of money. that has a grind in the trans witch i can fix my self.

the tune and K pro i and sure i cant get around but alot of the buy and bolt on parts i can make how is it hack to make my self??? i have made radiators in a head exchangers for air to water intercoolers and intercoolers in to radiators so hack well i dont think so.

i am here to do my own work not be like the "band wagon " and buy a **** ton of name brand parts and throw them at a car. and then try to get 15k for a 1997 honda civic that bearly sold for that new. i simply do this for my own taste and time and to say i can do it and do it with out just clicking buy it now.

thanks for the guys who did help and to the people that hate and dont know how to do there own work sorry you feel that way.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, sure sounds like you know what you are doing.

get to it!

/thread
Old 01-04-2011, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hack job how? i work and play in a fab shop so how is takeing a ebay radiator i alrady have and modding it for a K sawp?

i have done and can rewire alot of cars no issues why spend the money for some one in a big building and big name when i can simply do it my self???

i know i need a EG subframe and i still have one from my hatch i am not a noob at all i have owned countless hondas and dont countless swaps i have help with K swaps and J swaps and many others on other makes of cars so it is not all new to me. only thing new to me is doing it on my own car for my self.

mounts will most likely be hasport unless i find a used set of a different brand.

and why is it that every one thinks a K swap i s not less then 2500. i have owned many motors for 600 or so and sold. and i own a k swap i bougth for 1k bucks from some in need of money. that has a grind in the trans witch i can fix my self.

the tune and K pro i and sure i cant get around but alot of the buy and bolt on parts i can make how is it hack to make my self??? i have made radiators in a head exchangers for air to water intercoolers and intercoolers in to radiators so hack well i dont think so.

i am here to do my own work not be like the "band wagon " and buy a **** ton of name brand parts and throw them at a car. and then try to get 15k for a 1997 honda civic that bearly sold for that new. i simply do this for my own taste and time and to say i can do it and do it with out just clicking buy it now.

thanks for the guys who did help and to the people that hate and dont know how to do there own work sorry you feel that way.
still sounds like a hack job...i used to be like you too. buying cheap parts that are decent quality, skimping out on things here and there, doing my own work, wiring ****, fixing ****...so truth be told if you have such a skill set to do a wide range of things then i guarantee you are not 100% competent at every skill. you cant be an expert at everything and that is why they have specialty shops that do specialty work. i wouldnt take my car to firestone to get it painted cuz a mechanic there knows how to do it. i would probably take it to a body shop. for however long you have known or done things xy and z it wont come out clean and perfect unless you have ALOT of time in which i doubt since it takes money to fund this hobby. And if you did save so much money and did all this yourself you would have probably moved on to a better car than a frickin ej (no offense to those who have one)

bottom line is your going to have your starting point and from there you are going to incur charges from who knows what. broken bolt, missing parts you thought you had, sports injury, traffic ticket, mortgage note, car note, tow note, bills, family issues, other hobbies. WHO KNOWS! cutting corners, saving time, and not doing things right will never pay off in the grand scheme of life.

do that **** right!

/rant
Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you consider "doing it right" how do you think all theses shops did the first swaps K B D what ever they so called "hacked" to make it work then and figured out needed parts and all the stuff like that and they had the funds and drive to turn it in to a business no different then me doing the same thing the only different is i am not makeing a business of it and i am not selling them off to help the lazy people in the sport that can figure it out on there own. EJ or no why would the car or project matter what is better.to you a benzo or bmw is a cooler better project to me you are a fool for no playing wit hondas it every one .02 cents on the subject. and yes i have skills in all different feilds workin in this life style so long i have learned how to do body work form the right people i have learned how to build motors from right people i have learned how to do wireing and also have learned how to fab parts not easly found. and i am not "Hackin " to save money i am doing it my way to simply make my self happy and show people that you dont need to sit infrount of a computer and buy a whole pile of parts and throw them in to a car and call it built.

why dose any on have to buy name brand parts from big places to do it "right" that is suck a stupid way of lookin at it.

i been in the game long enough to say when we were doing B series swaps it was new and cool thing to do cuz no one knew you could do it.lol i am not that old .... i hope but ya HF manifold and junk yard turbos were are only means of building cars becaus pfab and dfab and fullrace and all this big places were still working on R&D or "hacking" for the frist time. if you have all the money to swap any motor in a any car by buying all theses parts and jump on theband wagon and do like the rest do good for you. i am here to do it on my own.

thanks for the info from the ones who did help stay tuned i will make a build thred as i did with my ITR