Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just purchased a new EG!!! Smoking issues w/B20

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a new EG!!! Smoking issues w/B20

I just got a EG Hatch with a B20 built at 11:1 with a 99 Si head built with omni power internals and cams. The car smokes whenever I am going down a hill with my foot out of it and then worse when I go to get back into the throttle. This motor is supposed to only have 3,000 miles and I don't understand the smoking issue. I just replaced the PCV and I'm about to upgrade the cap, rotor, and plugs/wires. Any other suggestions to help the smoking??? a tune maybe... Thanks for any help
Old 07-29-2006, 07:33 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Just purchased a new EG!!! Smoking issues w/B20 (dkboyny11)

1.) what color is the smoke? what does it smell like? describe it.

2.) who did the assembly of this high-compression B20VTEC? was it properly honed?

3.) does it only smoke when you're going down hills? that would be a really odd and completely unique scenario.

Help us help you.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just purchased a new EG!!! Smoking issues w/B20 (Archidictus)

heh...i bet it wasnt assembled right
Old 07-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just purchased a new EG!!! Smoking issues w/B20 (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

I bet it wasn't assembled right either, but what do I need to get done to do it right. Or should I just install this b16 short block I have here... Then I can take care of the B20 issues. I just need to finish my turbo car first.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just purchased a new EG!!! Smoking issues w/B20 (Archidictus)

The smoke is white/blue. It doesn't do it just downhill, its when I get out of the gas and then back in. Seems to be good when I'm WOT. Just when I'm putting around with little throttle. Plugs are dirty as hell. Timing is good and no codes. I installed new plugs and still smokin good
Old 07-29-2006, 10:03 PM

you definitely took a risk by buying a car with a b20vtec.... I would ONLY want one if I did all the work on it myself. Good luck though.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:19 AM

Default Re: (professor poon)

Which is why you kids should

JUST SAY NO TO LSVTEC AND CRVTEC.

There's a reason that Honda made special blocks for VTEC applications. When I put my B16 in my EJ1 the shop kept tyring to get me to put in this B20VTEC that came from his CRX...(had low comp pistons, because it turbo in teh CRX). He tried to get me to that motor in, in NA form. I was adamant about the B16.

So, with a LS tranny, my B16 EJ1 did a 15.7 @90. They put that B20 into a EG hatch they had for sale, **** ran 16's all day. In a EG hatch...

Would I take one over a D series, Yeah, would I take it over a VTEC blocked- smaller B series? Never.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ThatEKhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThatEKhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which is why you kids should

JUST SAY NO TO LSVTEC AND CRVTEC.

There's a reason that Honda made special blocks for VTEC applications. When I put my B16 in my EJ1 the shop kept tyring to get me to put in this B20VTEC that came from his CRX...(had low comp pistons, because it turbo in teh CRX). He tried to get me to that motor in, in NA form. I was adamant about the B16.

So, with a LS tranny, my B16 EJ1 did a 15.7 @90. They put that B20 into a EG hatch they had for sale, **** ran 16's all day. In a EG hatch...

Would I take one over a D series, Yeah, would I take it over a VTEC blocked- smaller B series? Never.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, your really telling it like it is.
Heaven forbid anyone ever modfiy a car or motor to differ from the way that it came from the factory!
Like putting a turbo charger on, or swapping bigger motors into lighter chassis, or put a vtec head on a non-vtec block. *gasp*

Just because you ran into one turd of a frankenstien motor doesnt mean there arent THOUSANDS of lsvtec/crvtec motors that are running flawlessly(and putting down alot more hp and trq than your b16).

To the OP:
Does the car smoke when you start it up in the morning?
Have you done a compression or leak down test on the motor?

Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 AM

Default Re: (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, your really telling it like it is.
Heaven forbid anyone ever modfiy a car or motor to differ from the way that it came from the factory!
Like putting a turbo charger on, or swapping bigger motors into lighter chassis, or put a vtec head on a non-vtec block. *gasp*
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're wrong. I would go bigger, GSR/Type R block, or H22 w/H2B.

But I wouldn't do turbo B. B series NA just sounds so good, and I never heard a turbo Honda sound good. If I were building a D, it would be turbo, they dont sound good anyway.

And for the franken, it wasn't that one that gave me my opinion. I know the structure of the VTEC blocks are better/more able to withstand, so any B series I do is going to have a VTEC block. If it means that I have B16 with 111 ft/lbs, compared to your 125 ft/lbs...that's fine with me. My **** is going to be happy all day at 8500, yours isn't.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just because you ran into one turd of a frankenstien motor doesnt mean there arent THOUSANDS of lsvtec/crvtec motors that are running flawlessly(and putting down alot more hp and trq than your b16).</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's fine. That's thier gamble. In MY opinion, it too much of a risk, the torque increase is almost negligable, if I have a strong B16 I'm not tearing that **** apart, you have to add GSR/B16 pistons, or it makes **** for power, and worst of all and you get a lower redline.

The OP said white/blue. That's oil, your fucked, and I suggest you get a GSR longblock. The head you have has already been raped for the franken, so forget about using it on a VTEC block, and I would hope this situation would deter you from another franken ****.

If you want bigger than 1.8 B series, theres always the B20Z with the rare P8R head. You could get that and keep the head that's on it. Valves are the size of VTEC head's, and this things comes with 150 HP, which is decent for non-VTEC. It would be safer than to have a head that's happy at 8000, and that you have to put holes in to make fit.

Plus, you NEVER EVER buy someone else franken motor.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no proof that the block is even the problem.

Its very possible its a head/ valve seal problem.

And your telling him to step down to a stock GSR block, when he could simply figure out what is wrong with the 205whp motor he has and spend far less than the $1800 a C1 block will cost.
Worst case, it might need some rings and valve seals. You looking at maybe $200.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks so much for all the info. I knew what I was getting myself into when I baught the car in the first place. I like to rip things apart and re-build them. So I will have no problem taking this thing apart to figure out what the issue is. I seem to think that it may also be a valve seal and maybe rings also, but I guess that will be seen on the compression and leakdown test I do today. I also thing that any honda motor is great weather it's a franken or a basic B16. I have a B16 fully built for turbo set-up being completed as we speak, I just wanted something a little different at a good price.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just did a compression test and it was 245-250-250-265. It also doesn't smoke when you start it up in the morning. No signes of smoke until you start to drive the car. I guess I still need to do a leak down test to see what is exactly wrong with this set-up. If only it was an easy fix. Thanks again for all the help