Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed...

Im pretty impressed with the low end power, but I dont realyl feel vtec like I did with my b16...like in my b16 it just roared at 5500.....but I also dont have a CAO hook, just a short intake to the b18.........so im wondering, is it normal ona b18 not to hear vtec kick in hard, it feels fast 4500+ but no real noticable sound like before? Thanks! I didnt get to talk to the mechanic, but he mentioned something about a 2nd silinoid not working bc it needs something...mb that is it but I dont know....thanks all!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed... (00civicsimobstyle)

What b18 did you get??? the b18a doesnt have vtec. I think the b18c does ???
Old 02-11-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed... (ricerwannab)

i got a 95 b18c jdm gsr engine
Old 02-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed... (00civicsimobstyle)

once you get a good c/a/i you will notice a little more sound.. if you want a big difference get a new intake manifold.. it will help out alot.. i put a ported and polished pr3 manifold on my b16a.. big difference in sound and performance..i did add an ericks racing t/b as well.. v tec kind of cackled a little.. sounded sweet around 7200 rpms..

congrats on your swap.. feels good doesnt it!!!!..hahaha i love it..

brian
Old 02-11-2005, 08:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00civicsimobstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt get to talk to the mechanic, but he mentioned something about a 2nd silinoid not working bc it needs something...mb that is it but I dont know....thanks all!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have a dual Plenum Manifold so you need to get your secondaries working. You are probably missing the air resorvoir box under the intake Manifold.

You will need that box and air solenoid to activate the round gold thing on the drivers side of the Intake Mani.

You will also need a P72 OBD1 ECU or a P28 modified to control Secondaries.

Once this is done....you will hear the motor roar at 5700 when the secondaries open. You will also feel more low end torque since the secondary runners will be closed at low rpm's.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed... (sinister2c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinister2c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You have a dual Plenum Manifold so you need to get your secondaries working. You are probably missing the air resorvoir box under the intake Manifold.

You will need that box and air solenoid to activate the round gold thing on the drivers side of the Intake Mani.

Once this is done....you will hear the motor roar at 5700 when the secondaries open. You will also feel more low end torque since the secondary runners will be closed at low rpm's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen dynos of 11 whp gains throughout the low end when you get your secondaries to work.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed... (sinister2c)

this is exactly whats going on....I have a p72 running it right now(same ecu that came with the motor)....so where do I go about buying the second parts(box/solenoid)? I am positive this is whats going on and im missing a whole vtec feel, I thought it kicked in at 4600? In my b16 it roared so load at 5800+.....thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinister2c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a dual Plenum Manifold so you need to get your secondaries working. You are probably missing the air resorvoir box under the intake Manifold.

Once this is done....you will hear the motor roar at 5700 when the secondaries open. You will also feel more low end torque since the secondary runners will be closed at low rpm's.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-14-2005, 09:31 AM

talked to the tech and heres the deal and it doesnt really fall in line w/ missing parts

the 2nd selenoid isnt hooked up, but its not missing the selenoid or the box

they just dont know how to wire from the second selenoid to the wiring harness or ecu...dont konw where it goes, buts like they didnt know how to hook it up b/c their books didnt have anything on it....

thanks!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:22 PM

anyone know what this wire could be? i need to get the whole engine runing at full
Old 02-14-2005, 12:26 PM

The b16 has more top end power than the b18 does. Also, the quieter and smoother the transition of your car into vtec means it is well tuned.

b16 = torqueless wonder, but top end, high revving fun
b18 is just fun all around
Old 02-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is 2 wires a pink wire with a blue i think stripe and a black wire. The pink wire goes to pinout A17 and the black will go to a 12v switched source ( a yellow wire with a black stripe) thats if your car is OBD-I.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: (Jmunk)

skunk2, blox, or jg intake manifold will solve your problem
Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (igyloo)

skunk2
Old 02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what i've seen,read and experienced the stock GSR manifold is the best design for the GSR head as far was flow is concerned. I'm not going to swap mine out for anything else, unless someone can show me graphs with dyno numbers where the numbers go up with other manifolds, all the ones i've seen go down with any aftermarket manifold on them. Granted also you should than change to a chipped p28.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:49 PM

ah damn ill try and search for the dyno graph. with the skunk2, it kind of dips midrange but it improves quite a bit on the top end. if you have cams, cam gears, i/h/e it will be much better, of course.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed... (Chris M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The b16 has more top end power than the b18 does. Also, the quieter and smoother the transition of your car into vtec means it is well tuned.

b16 = torqueless wonder, but top end, high revving fun
b18 is just fun all around </TD></TR></TABLE>

More top end power? Not exactly.. The B18C makes more "top end power" over a B16. The B16 does however have a peakier powerband if thats what you are referring to.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jmunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what i've seen,read and experienced the stock GSR manifold is the best design for the GSR head as far was flow is concerned. I'm not going to swap mine out for anything else, unless someone can show me graphs with dyno numbers where the numbers go up with other manifolds, all the ones i've seen go down with any aftermarket manifold on them. Granted also you should than change to a chipped p28. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Considering a GSR head and a B16 head flow almost exactly the same, and Honda tossed the dual stage intake in favor for a single stage with larger runners and plenum, it seems obvious to me that there are gains to be found. I know for sure the ITR (skunk2) intake mani adds more top end over a conventional GSR style intake.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed... (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

More top end power? Not exactly.. The B18C makes more "top end power" over a B16. The B16 does however have a peakier powerband if thats what you are referring to.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes thats what i mean
Old 02-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed... (Chris M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yes thats what i mean </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh, that makes more sense then.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00civicsimobstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone know what this wire could be? i need to get the whole engine runing at full </TD></TR></TABLE>

Secondary Intake Solenoid - Pink/Blue - A17
Old 02-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jmunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is 2 wires a pink wire with a blue i think stripe and a black wire. The pink wire goes to pinout A17 and the black will go to a 12v switched source ( a yellow wire with a black stripe) thats if your car is OBD-I. </TD></TR></TABLE>

correct!! ... easiest way to verify is to take a small battery to the solenoid and figure out which side needs positive and which needs ground. tap wires to the battery till it clicks. verify with the car running, the secondary's default position is open. when the car starts and if everything is working they close...

running the gsr on a si ecu will give nearly the same vtec sound and if you're not running the secondaries this is the better way to go. running the gsr ecu without secondaries operating and it falls on its *** when vtec kicks in...

some useful pics here...https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=843919 the image at the solenoid isn't going to be correct for you as your engine is obd1 and this was obd2b. the pics of the plugs at the ecu should be useful though...
Old 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: (miahmouse)

thanks for the above two comments

so these wires pink and black one should be just coming off the selenoid? Also where is the 12v yellow/back wire located that I need to tap the black wire into? Is this something in your opinion I could easily do, or should I bring it back in the shop for htem to easily do it with those directions..thanks all! your great and yes I love the b18 in my 00 si!! I got IHE as well

Modified by 00civicsimobstyle at 5:34 PM 2/14/2005
Old 02-14-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: (00civicsimobstyle)

alright, researched adn went and looked at my ecu, and I have a pink/blue wire ready to be tapped into something right where my harness is by my ecu....and I have a white/red strip wire...these are the two wires....so my questions is, the yellow/black wire I should plug the white/red wire into, is that located on the ecu harness then as well? Also, does someone have a visual display of where a17 is? Thanks all!

Modified by 00civicsimobstyle at 5:58 PM 2/14/2005

Modified by 00civicsimobstyle at 6:43 PM 2/14/2005
Old 02-14-2005, 06:49 PM

bump, wanna do this in the morning if I can get the info
Old 02-14-2005, 09:12 PM

free bump

Quick Reply: just picked up my SI from getting its new b18 installed...