Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just installed Hondata IM gasket car runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 08:29 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just installed Hondata IM gasket car runs like crap

I just finished installing a Hondata intake manifold gasket on my car (00 si) and when I started it up, the car would barely idle. It idles up and down and when I give it a shot of gas it starts to rev then bogs. If I hold my foot on the gas pedal it will rev up to say 4000 rpm but will only stay there for a couple seconds then bog and the rpms will drop all the way down as if I just shut the car off, then it will catch itself at idle and stumble around there barely running. When it's idling it kinda sounds like it's missing a little bit. When I had everything apart I made sure there was absolutely no old gasket remaining and everything was very clean. I installed the IM properly and torqued all the nuts/bolts in the proper sequence and amounts. I sprayed brake cleaner around the IM when it was running to see if there was a leak and it didn't seem to make any difference. I'm at a loss to figure out what's wrong with the car.....anyone else experience anything like this after installing one of these gaskets?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just installed Hondata IM gasket car runs like crap (00Red_SiR)

bleed your coolant?

im drnuk, haha
Old 10-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just installed Hondata IM gasket car runs like crap (00Red_SiR)

recently i did a hondata gasket, we switched the tps and map sensor LOL , you might want to check that. as soon as we switched them the car ran fine
Old 10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the gasket sealed properly..

Spray water around the area and see if it bubbles..

It definetly has something to do with whatever YOU did on the install, go back and double check things.

Do you have any Cel's?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just installed Hondata IM gasket car runs like crap (silverEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silverEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">recently i did a hondata gasket, we switched the tps and map sensor LOL , you might want to check that. as soon as we switched them the car ran fine </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup I would say check your sensors on that, sounds like your tps sensor. Dont think the gasket is the problem if you torqued it down correctly.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:38 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (Jimmy)

no CEL's, my car was converted to OBD1 for the hondata setup I use. I will check to see if I switched the TPS and MAP sensor plugs.....I might have done that cause I was tired when I put it back together
Old 10-03-2004, 08:43 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

OK...I just went out and checked the car and YEP I had the TPS and MAP plugs switched.....talk about feeling stupid...lol thanks you guys I really appreciated the help! now I should get some sleep!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK...I just went out and checked the car and YEP I had the TPS and MAP plugs switched.....talk about feeling stupid...lol thanks you guys I really appreciated the help! now I should get some sleep!</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol that would do it.... by the way, i just installed a skunk2 mani on my gsr in my EG yesterday and I had bought the hondata gasket to put on but it was too thick. i didnt have enough stud to torque it down properly. did you run into that problem as well?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chris M)

skunk2 im on a gsr in a eg i used stock gasket but i love the way it feels with the im
Old 10-03-2004, 09:54 PM

check out ==&gt;outlawengineering.com

they have Quality gasket/heatshields MUCH nicer that the hondata gaskets. they include all new studs and there's a heatshield for the TB and the TPS + additional paper gaskets to go on either side of the heatshield .
Old 10-03-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: (S9i1R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S9i1R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check out ==&gt;outlawengineering.com

they have Quality gasket/heatshields MUCH nicer that the hondata gaskets. they include all new studs and there's a heatshield for the TB and the TPS + additional paper gaskets to go on either side of the heatshield .</TD></TR></TABLE>

sweet
Old 10-04-2004, 10:55 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol that would do it.... by the way, i just installed a skunk2 mani on my gsr in my EG yesterday and I had bought the hondata gasket to put on but it was too thick. i didnt have enough stud to torque it down properly. did you run into that problem as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can get longer IM studs from Honda or Home Depot, just remember to take one of the nuts in there with you to get the proper thread. I was able to use my stock studs without to much trouble although I did manage to crossthread 1 stud because there wasn't a lot to grab onto. Anyway I fixed that and the car works great now