Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just got rear ended.. here are the pics.. need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got rear ended.. here are the pics.. need opinions.

Alright I got rear ended a few weeks ago and I finally took it to the autobody shop and they told me it should cost around 1700 to fix everything but it could turn out to be more if they find more damage underneath. They weren't able to open the trunk cuz it was smashed in so they couldn't tell too well but I was able to open the trunk from the inside by unbolting the latch and here is what I found.

This is what they didn't see when they gave the estimate..

All they saw was this.

Now from what i can see seems like the frame is dented in but is that part replaceable? ANd if not then do you think the insurance company will fix it or just total the car?
It's a 1992 civic lx with around 150k miles on it. Its worth around 3200 from what the blue book says so I'm figuring if the damage is too bad then they'd just give me the money for my car instead.
The car drives fine.. really didn't hit me that hard but the lady who hit me was in an suv.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Just got rear ended.. here are the pics.. need opinions. (Reckless636)

fold down the back seat and look at the floor in the trunk for any damage
Old 01-30-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Just got rear ended.. here are the pics.. need opinions. (Reckless636)

i am a painter at a body shop.

you are going to need to pull the rear bodypanel out, or get a new one- you pick.
your going to also need a rear bumper reinforciment, i know it has to be bent with the way the bumper cover looks.

with as high as the damage is on the body you shouldn't have any frame damage, but you may have allittle floor damage but when you get the rear panel pulled it should come out.

if the body panel and bumper reinforciment has to be replaced your probally looking at another $800 - $1200 with parts and labor.

just my 2cents!!!! later
Old 01-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

visit your local junkyard for parts, and get the body shop to paint it and pull the panel out if you dont know how.. this should save you a little bit more money
Old 01-30-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Just got rear ended.. here are the pics.. need opinions. (jdmh22bubble)

what do you mean by Pull the panel out? You mean bend it back out?
That panel is welded to the frame of the car so I don't see how you can just replace that?

I guess my question is.. should I go ahead and get the car fixed or just sell it since it wouldnt be worth the money to fix?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres my opinion, the money you get from beign rearended buy a cheap *** hatchback or something!! lol i wouldnt waste my money on that car..
Old 01-30-2005, 02:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Reckless636 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you mean by Pull the panel out? You mean bend it back out?
That panel is welded to the frame of the car so I don't see how you can just replace that?

I guess my question is.. should I go ahead and get the car fixed or just sell it since it wouldnt be worth the money to fix?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i said pull the panel out. that means you hook it up to a frame machine and with the help of hydraulics, pull the panel back to the area that is suppose to be, because when you bend a panel like that it really gets pushed in from where it is suppose to be. that is why you couldn't get the trunk open. and yes you can drill the spotwelds that hold the panel on out and remove/replace and weld the panel back on .