Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just got back from an oil change.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from an oil change.....

Hi everyone...

Just went to get my oil changed on my '00 Si -- and of course since I'm a girl, they tried to tell me what all I should have them do.

I just hit 63K miles on my car, and they said I NEED to get my timing belt replaced (for a pretty hefty sum) ASAP. -- Thoughts on this? I'll most likely have them do it, but need to figure out my budget (new snowboard or new timing belt?).

They also wanted me to have my front brake pads replaced for about $180+tax. That's probably not worth it right? I can order stock brakes super cheap, or I was looking at some Carbotech ones. I used to autox a bunch back in the day, but now don't really have the time to -- and when I do go, I drive the S2K instead. Thoughts on types of brakes to get? It's a pretty easy thing to replace myself right?

I also just had to replace my VSS - dealership of course wanted $250+ to do it - when I was able to buy the part, undo the bolt and put the new part in myself for $80 (with the help of my daddy of course - just not strong enough to undo the torqued bolt!)

I appreciate all the help and advice!!! Thanks!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:30 AM
AVA
Sláinte

Default Re: Just got back from an oil change..... (RUDE99GIRL)

Definitly change the brake pads yourself, its really easy to do. As for the timing belt, I think it only needs to be changed after like 100k miles but I could be wrong
Old 10-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't need your timing belt changed at 63k miles, unless you drive under severe conditions. If you want to be safe, change it around 80k-90k, and expect to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $400-$500, especially if you have your water pump replaced at the same time which you should since you're already in there.

As far as the brakepads go, OEM ones are maybe $40, and if you're not autocrossing the car anymore and just using it as a daily driver that would likely work out just fine for you. You would also need to probably get the rotors turned, unless you were planning on replacing them also, but it's not really necessary due to the same above reasons. You could easily replace the pads yourself, and have a local shop turn the rotors for you, especially if you have someone around to help you such as your Dad. Takes maybe 30 minutes to replace them, it's simple.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

who's your daddy?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got back from an oil change..... (******)

New rotors from Advance or Autozone will be like $20 each. At my shop thats cheaper than turning them. New pads should be less than $20. Now those are their least expensive, but for daily driving thats all you need. I have Advances Pads, and Rotors for the last 4,000 miles and they work fine and no squeaks.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got back from an oil change..... (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have Advances Pads, and Rotors for the last 4,000 miles and they work fine and no squeaks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here
Old 10-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got back from an oil change..... (turner7205)

Order your brakes from ImportRP in the sponsor section on here. Get Brembo blanks and either PBR/Axxis ultimate or Hawk HP pads. You probably don't want the carbotechs for the street, as depending on the compound, they may be dangerous when not warmed properly.

Do the timing belt at 90K. Even in severe conditions, you should be fine at that point (even though the manual recommends otherwise). I beat the hell out of my car, race it on the weekends, and the 'severe' duty maintenance is still too soon for the car. The timing belt can be a PITA (at least for me with no garage or place to work) and it cost me $400 to do at the dealership.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Get the snowboard. The timing belt should go to 90,000 miles, at least. Figure $400 or more at that time, as you should change the water pump, and oil seals near there, at that time too (not much more labor).

Disc brake pads are a snap to change. If your car has a vibration when you brake, then the rotors should be turned. Otherwise, you can get away with just changing the pads. I recommend OEM brake pads. Usually it's just removing one lower caliper bolt on each side, flipping up the caliper, and pushing the piston back in with a something like a large C-Clamp (A C-Clamp is only a few bucks at a hardware store).
Old 10-20-2005, 02:24 PM

Read your Honda manual. Your timing belt is good for even over 100k. But like these guys say, get it at about 90-95k

Always be safe and no sorry.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hatchbizzle00)

If your cars a daily driver go to autzone and get brake pads w/ life time warranty 15.99, rotors are like 14.99 each. I've always done this with all my daily drivers and never had a problem. Also its easy to change your brakes and rotors. i would never pay 180 that's way to much..
Old 10-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Although I do drive her everyday -- she is still a SI, and I do tend to drive her a little hard at times. So I'm still a little nervous about putting cheap old brakes on her -- but probably don't need the same type as if I were to be autoxing her all the time.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (RUDE99GIRL)

I use stock HONDA pads for autoX, street and track days. Yes, they do get hot at the end of the run on the track. But the price, $26... that is good, they don't have crazy dust or wear characteristics. The rotors, I have some from Advance...work fine, but there is a bit more rust than I expected...might be from the AK weather and that long drive down the ALCAN. The pads and rotors can be replaced at home in 1 hour or less. There isn't much to it, and no crazy force is required with the right tools. The timing belt deserves a change between 90-120k along with water pump, front crank seal, and a tensioner inspection. I would suggest doing the timing belt at the same time as your major service at 90 because it saves you time and a little bit of labor. The service will cost you a pretty penny, do it at a trusted independant shop instead of the dealer.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Yea the timing belt is something to do around the 90,000 mark unless it has a lot of cracks in it, that would be the only reason to change it sooner. Theres an inspection cover you can take off to make that call but I doubt the oil change place would have done all that work and taken the liability to check it. There just trying to get some more money out of you because your a girl.

As for the brakes, take a wheel off and check them out yourself to see how much pad you have left and go from there. To change brakes on a car is pretty easy especially on a honda, unless where talking drum's but being front I doubt that Autozone pads have worked fine for me in the past, I get the lifetime ones so I dont have to buy new ones I just change them as needed or sooner to be safe, what do I care I dont pay for pads???

Im surprissed they dident try telling you, you needed a new air filter, cooling system flush, battery, or something else to make money off you. I hated when I worked at a car place and some of the people I worked with tried pulling this **** on customers.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually -- they did try telling me I needed a new air filter (for my intake and a/c) -- the guy had no idea that I had a CAI on it though, so I knew he was just a sales guy.

Battery is brand new (I do live in the desert), so I think they realized that
Old 10-20-2005, 03:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RUDE99GIRL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually -- they did try telling me I needed a new air filter (for my intake and a/c) -- the guy had no idea that I had a CAI on it though, so I knew he was just a sales guy.

Battery is brand new (I do live in the desert), so I think they realized that </TD></TR></TABLE>

Since you live in good ole AZ hopefully you know about SRD (superior Racing Development). Usually pretty cheap on scheduled maintnence. On another note.. you don't happen to drive a black Si do you?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope -- it's EBP
Old 10-20-2005, 03:38 PM

well anyway, check out SRD (http://www.superiorracing.com/Html/home.php). I've taken all four of my hondas there for both performance and scheduled maintenance that I couldn't do myself. And to trouble shoot. I trust those guys.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my timing belt changed at 60K by my mechanic. Including water pump it was $280. My car was placed next to a CRX whose timing belt snapped and messed up the whole engine. I dont know exactly but what i heard was the engine was totally gone because of what happened. From there i told myself my $280 was worth it.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy my original sin, so I can go buy a new snowboard!!! Learn to change your oil, them oil chg. places overfill so many cars (At least here in Texas they do).
Leave the timing belt to the honda mechanics, unless your fairly good with wrenches, and have someone there who has done one b4. not saying A CHICK cant do it , It's just a bad feeling seeing someone who tried and there motor knocks like a WOOD-PECKER!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The way I think about it is both independant and dealerships employ PEOPLE to do the work. I used to work at a Honda/Acura independant center and the owner and some other techs used to work for the factory and dealers. Some specialty independant shops keep up with factory training schedules. Our shop would always be sent factory training bulletins so the owner could go and learn about the new cars and purchase the needed tools. An original service manual will help bundles when you are trying to do complicated services.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 PM

if you want good break pads that comes with lifetime, check out wagner thermoquiet from oreilly. They are really good, bites hard and quiet pads too. Comes with lifetime warranty. That's what i use for all the cars i work on.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 PM

For regular street use, I like OEM pads. They work well, last long, & not expensive. I believe you can get a OEM Honda pads for about $50 a pair.

As for the timing belt, at 63,000 miles, it's too early. I would wait until about 80,000-100,000 miles for the timing belt.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:01 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schlit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mingbling96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you want good break pads that comes with lifetime, check out wagner thermoquiet from oreilly. They are really good, bites hard and quiet pads too. Comes with lifetime warranty. That's what i use for all the cars i work on. </TD></TR></TABLE> Yes absouletly, We sell these at Sears, and can not count how many we have sold in the last year. I have never heard of ONE customer coming back with a squeal. At O'Rielys yeah they come with a lifetime warranty. Which is always awesome. If you can afford them, normally $40 or so, Get them you will not be dissapointed.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get the snowboard! its too early for timing belts.. i would do that and waterpump around 80-90k

for brakes, i say do them yourself. all u need is the service manual and the proper tools.. and mebbe som brake lubricant and disc brake quieter.. 180, hecks i would do it for jus a free lunch! so how bout it? haha, anyways good luck with that.

they are overchargin u.. thats my opinion. most places do

Old 10-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got back from an oil change..... (rainydayman)

I switched my 97 dx coupe's pads to Akebono ceramic pads. Still checking them out.

Quick Reply: Just got back from an oil change.....