Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just did a swap, now its smoking...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 01:34 PM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did a swap, now its smoking...

I recently did a JDM B16A swap into my 94 VX its a week old. In the mornings, when I first start up my car it smokes and the exhaust smell is pretty strong. The smoke comes out white, but only until the car gets warmed up. I'm not burning any oil or losing any coolant. Once I start driving the smoking stops, but at every red light or stop sign, I can smell the exhaust fumes. I'm not sure if I have a blown headgasket, running a little rich, or it's just the "smog" of a JDM engine. Someone give me some idea of what I'm going through.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of things that can be considered here. It may be something so simple as requiring new spark plugs or an exhaust leak somewhere. Without more detail I can't really answer your question.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kendall)

Might just be **** burning off the surface of the engine (pb blaster wd 40 etc). My engine smoked for an hour after the first start up and that's all it was. Never smoked since
Old 09-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kendall)

I would guess you're running a little rich or you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Check for any holes in your exhaust, that could be what you're smelling. That shouldnt make you spit out white smoke tho. WHen my headgasket was leaking I would spit smoke only when i shifted at red line. Notice any smoke then? Any oil leaks on your block? Coolant disappearing? milky looking oil? Start checking stuff and get back to us.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:24 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JapTendencies)

If you would be running rich you would be smoking black. White is usually coolant, maybe even lean possibly. Was it cold outside? You will see white smoke if it's cold and humid outside.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:48 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (JapTendencies)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would guess you're running a little rich or you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Check for any holes in your exhaust, that could be what you're smelling. That shouldnt make you spit out white smoke tho. WHen my headgasket was leaking I would spit smoke only when i shifted at red line. Notice any smoke then? Any oil leaks on your block? Coolant disappearing? milky looking oil? Start checking stuff and get back to us.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think it smokes when i shift (at least not enough where I can see it from my mirrors), but I had a friend rev the engine when it was already warm and a very small puff came out after he let off the throttle. Theres no oil leaks whatsoever, I just checked the coolant (while the engine was cold) and its completely full, oil looks brand new (Mobil 1 full synthetic). The exhaust leak I'm not positive cuz my resonator didn't fit onto the downpipe exactly but enough where I dont think there are any leaks. What else should I check? What else do you need to know about my car?
Old 09-19-2004, 02:56 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

O and it hesitated ALOT when i first got it in. I thought it was my dirty injectors so I put some fuel system cleaner in and it actually worked. but still smokes at start up.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what ecu are you using?
Old 09-20-2004, 08:22 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (1meanB18c5civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1meanB18c5civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what ecu are you using?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

P30
Old 09-20-2004, 07:09 PM
cute little bastard

Also wanted to add I'm throwing a code 41 (O2 sensor thing) and don't have a knock sensor. I'm not sure if those make a difference...
Old 09-20-2004, 07:15 PM

Usually whenever an engine smokes only on start up after sitting for a while its the valve seals. A small amount of oil gets past the valve seals as the car sits and then burns off immediately once you start it up. You need to pull the head and have them replaced, total they cost about $16 for all 16 of them, but the labor on it will probably cost a few hundred.

Mike
Old 09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (sledgehammer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sledgehammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Usually whenever an engine smokes only on start up after sitting for a while its the valve seals. A small amount of oil gets past the valve seals as the car sits and then burns off immediately once you start it up. You need to pull the head and have them replaced, total they cost about $16 for all 16 of them, but the labor on it will probably cost a few hundred.

Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or j00 could do it yourself ...i really dont think that its the valve seals in this case though.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 PM

Default Re: (B18C-Rsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C-Rsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Or j00 could do it yourself ...i really dont think that its the valve seals in this case though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well what he described as the smoking at start up only is exactly what worn valve seals will do.

Mike
Old 09-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C-Rsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C-Rsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Or j00 could do it yourself ...i really dont think that its the valve seals in this case though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, I took my head to a machine shop and had them install brand new valve seals and my motor still had a puff of white smoke at startup. Other than that, it ran fine. It also puffed out black smoke if I would rev it at a standstill, but I was boosting and it was running somewhat rich. But if I were to gas it on the street, no smoke would come out at all. I'm not sure why it smokes up at startup, but if that's the only time it does that, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: (som3on3_10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by som3on3_10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree, I took my head to a machine shop and had them install brand new valve seals and my motor still had a puff of white smoke at startup. Other than that, it ran fine. It also puffed out black smoke if I would rev it at a standstill, but I was boosting and it was running somewhat rich. But if I were to gas it on the street, no smoke would come out at all. I'm not sure why it smokes up at startup, but if that's the only time it does that, I wouldn't worry about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you may have needed new valve guides. But smoking at start up only is commonly from bad valve seals.
mike
Old 09-20-2004, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sledgehammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well you may have needed new valve guides. But smoking at start up only is commonly from bad valve seals.
mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

No the guy at the machine shop checked my guides and said they were fine. I told him to check and make sure everything was good to go with the head.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Just did a swap, now its smoking... (SkoundrelUSA)

Well, depending on the color of the smoke it can let you know what kind of problem you're having.

Black smoke: The type of oil or perhaps a carbon build up in the wrong pipe because of however long the car engine has been sitting.

Gray smoke: Get another engine, more than like the the cams haven't been lubed in a while. The rings could be burning or there might be a break down in the cylinder walls (it's a slow process but a pain). You should really get that checked. It might be cheap for the walls but expensive for the labor. Like buddy above me said. You might also what to check the head gasket. You can change that yourself with a manual. But it'll cost a couple hundred to have someone change. Good luck yo.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:13 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just did a swap, now its smoking... (94HatchbackSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94HatchbackSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, depending on the color of the smoke it can let you know what kind of problem you're having.

Black smoke: The type of oil or perhaps a carbon build up in the wrong pipe because of however long the car engine has been sitting.

Gray smoke: Get another engine, more than like the the cams haven't been lubed in a while. The rings could be burning or there might be a break down in the cylinder walls (it's a slow process but a pain). You should really get that checked. It might be cheap for the walls but expensive for the labor. Like buddy above me said. You might also what to check the head gasket. You can change that yourself with a manual. But it'll cost a couple hundred to have someone change. Good luck yo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

YEaH. OkAYyyyy. No....

Black Smoke: Running rich
White Smoke: Burning coolant (usually exhaust has a sweet smell to it, and sometimes you will see alot of water coming from the tailpipe), Just cold and humid outside
Blueish smoke: Burning oil, bad rings, bad vavle guides, and etc...
Old 09-21-2004, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94HatchbackSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, depending on the color of the smoke it can let you know what kind of problem you're having.

Gray smoke: Get another engine, more than like the the cams haven't been lubed in a while. The rings could be burning or there might be a break down in the cylinder walls (it's a slow process but a pain). You should really get that checked. It might be cheap for the walls but expensive for the labor. Like buddy above me said. You might also what to check the head gasket. You can change that yourself with a manual. But it'll cost a couple hundred to have someone change. Good luck yo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the point is to help the guy.... not confuse him with your misunderstandings my friend listen to ABK He obviously understands the common knowledge one realizes... once they pop the hood latch for the first time.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:51 AM

OIL SMOKE IS BLACK- COOLANT IS WHITE! iT MAY TAKE SOME TIME TO SEE THE LOSS OF COOLANT IN THE RESEVOIR, IT DOESNT TAKE ALOT OF COOLANT TO SEE SMOKE. i HATE GUESSING BUT SOUNDS LIKE THE HEAD GASKET.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:42 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ReadytoHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReadytoHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OIL SMOKE IS BLACK- COOLANT IS WHITE! iT MAY TAKE SOME TIME TO SEE THE LOSS OF COOLANT IN THE RESEVOIR, IT DOESNT TAKE ALOT OF COOLANT TO SEE SMOKE. i HATE GUESSING BUT SOUNDS LIKE THE HEAD GASKET.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let me say it again black smoke is when you are running rich.

The headgasket thing is possible. Test the compression/leakdown, check for coolant in the oil, and oil in the coolant.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Just did a swap, now its smoking... (SkoundrelUSA)

So many different options. I would take it to a shop that deals with car with swaps and aftermarket parts. Have them look it over and tell you what's wrong. After all of that if it's something you can fix then do so, if not let them and get a warranty.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:51 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

these are not opinions. He could just do a compression test and pretty much know what's up. Save himself some money.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just did a swap, now its smoking... (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">these are not opinions. He could just do a compression test and pretty much know what's up. Save himself some money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Just did a swap, now its smoking... (som3on3_10)

while we are on this topic. How exactly would someone who doesnt know how to do a compression/leakdown test go about doing it?

Quick Reply: Just did a swap, now its smoking...