Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just completed Integra dash swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 08:32 PM
PDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just completed Integra dash swap

I thought i would post about my experience installing an integra dash into my friends 92 Civic SI. Theres quite a bit of info on these boards but was really hard to find when so many people were asking the same questions over and over again. IM going to post on my experience and hopefully it will answer some questions down the road.

Putting the actual dash in: My friend was lucky enough to find a dash that was previously in a civic so I cant really tell you what is needed (as far as trimming or whatever goes) but its not difficult from what i was told and some people here mentioned having to make custom brackets or whatever which isnt needed.

Wiring: The dash didnt come with an integra wiring harness so we had to look around the boards and luckily we found one. We printed out the diagram listed on honda-tech ( https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=94431 ). We took the civic harness and cut the 2 gray plugs that connected to the cluster and cut the 2 blue plugs off the intergra harness to be used on the civic harness.

This is where we ran into a problem. Looking at the integra plugs that go into the cluster we noticed some of the colours didnt match the diagram and some slots which were listed as empty had wires in them and slots which had wires in them were listed as empty. After a lot of thinking and screwing around we looked at the back of the cluster and could tell by following the circuits which slots were being used and which werent. Luckily we noticed it matched up exactly to the diagram on this site. We ignored all the colours of the wires and focused on what slot served what purpose and we had to poke some wires out of the plug and move them over to different slots.

After we fully converted the 2 big plugs that left us with one small plug that was still from the old civic cluster. We asummed since no ones mentioned this third small plug (3 wires) that maybe it just snapped right in? Wrong, we looked at the same plug from the integra harness and noticed it had the same amount of wires and the same colours but the plugs were different. We just cut off the plugs and swapped them and wired according to colour. We snapped all three plugs into the back of the cluster and bingo. Absolutely everything works perfect on the cluster and never ran into blinker problems that some others have mentioned.

As for the rest, the integra Climate control plug snapped right into the old civic one and works perfect. The clock plugs are different but have the same amount of wires and same colour. Just cut the civic plug off and swap it with the integra one and wire according to colour. We also had a stock integra cd player which looks pretty clean in the dash and luckily both plugs (civic and integra) were the same and required no cutting. The civic dimmer plug connects to the integra dimmer but started to smoke up really bad once we turned the car on ( after reading around the board we werent the only ones) so we decided to leave this one alone for now. We have yet to wire up defroster, hazards, dimmer and sunroof. We werent able to find any info on wiring these things so we just left them for now. Other than that everything on the cluster works perfect and lights up just like it should.

ABSOLUTELY make sure to have extra fuses around. We ended up blowing quite a few and having to look for fuses during the install was really time consuming and made things a lot worse than they should have been.

Door Panels: So much talk about door panels on these boards. We just used the stock eg panels. We decided to steer away from the melt the panel plastic and close the door trick. It seemed a little too ghetto and we didnt want to ruin the vinyl or the dash (not saying it will but we dont want to take any chances) Instead we peeled the vinyl off the door panel revealing only plastic and cut where the dash was touching the panel and kept cutting until the plastic was shaped perfect around the ends up the dash. We pulled the vinyl back over and put the panels back on the doors. Is this method better than the heating up method? Not really but we noticed the vinyl didnt wrinkle as much at the parts hidden by the dash. When the doors are closed the panels look flawless and you cant tell theyve been hacked at. They also look a lot better when the doors are open compared to the heat method (probably because the vinyl isnt as wrinkled).

I will post pictures some other time when im able to take them. In the mean time if anyone can explain how to wire up hazards, defroster, dimmer and sunroof please do as I am unsure how to do it.

Modified by PDM at 5:50 AM 5/25/2004
Old 05-24-2004, 08:54 PM

Post up some picks of your door panels wiht the door open. Im interested to see how it turned out. Also... how did you end up wiring up the rear D-Frost? mine still doesnt work... but my dimmer works perfectly
Old 05-24-2004, 09:07 PM
PDM

Default Re: (Artificially_Aspirated)

Nope never got the rear defroster going and hoping someone will reply.

I'll post the pictures of the panels someother time. for now the only way i can describe them is looking much like the panels do when you heat up the plastic. The only difference is the vinyl isnt attached to the plastic and moves more freely making less wrinkles. We didnt do it for cosmetic reasons. It's still pretty ghetto but did it more for the fact that we didnt want to bubble the vinyl or possibly the ends of the dash. But it came out looking alright. The proper way to do it in my opinion is to do the heat method, get the plastic to mold around the dash, take off the vinyl and then reapolster the panels.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:13 PM

Default Re: (Artificially_Aspirated)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Artificially_Aspirated &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Post up some picks of your door panels wiht the door open. Im interested to see how it turned out. Also... how did you end up wiring up the rear D-Frost? mine still doesnt work... but my dimmer works perfectly </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, i wanna see how it turn out.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98b16ex)

sounds liek it turned out pretty good... get those pictures

I'm still in the middle of my swap and am thinking about just cutting the civic harness and then soldering it into the integra plugs, because my integra dash harness that got here last wed. was really a LS engine harness so now I'm waiting on the dash harness... but tired of looking down and not knowing how fast I'm actually going, I can guesstimate, and at night no lights in the dash is quite annoying... well
Old 05-29-2004, 06:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Just completed Integra dash swap (PDM)

good infos
Old 05-29-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Re: (EGRhatch)

it does sound like it turned out pretty good... get those pictures

Old 05-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SprayinCX)

Sounds cool lets see the pics
Old 05-29-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (C_Civic)

i used a 94-95 integra dash harness when i did mine 2 years ago. only had to cut and splice one plug going into the fuse box and then everything worked perfect.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridvteceg)

I hear a lot of talk about integ dashes in EF civics. what about EK?
Old 06-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope never got the rear defroster going and hoping someone will reply.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're in luck my friend...

http://honda-garage.com/incomi....html

I decided to only include the wiring from the 95 manual. I don't know if the colors change throughout the years, but there are manauls for 95, 96-97, 98-01.

If you find any descripancies, or need further information, holler at me. Email is linked in the document at the top.