Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought a hatch...what would you guys recommend to make the exhaust less noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a hatch...what would you guys recommend to make the exhaust less noisy?

Hello all,

I just bought a 1992 Honda Civic. It's a hatchback and the clock reads over 200k miles. After a closer look, I realized the engine it's equipped with is a D16Y7.

My question is, what would you guys recommend to make it less noisy. It has what seems to be custom exhaust all the way back, and it's too loud and raspy for my taste. I'm going to be using it as a daily for school and want to draw as little attention as possible.

Can you guys recommend any way to make this puppy quieter?

Engine pic: https://i.imgur.com/Pl2zl.jpg

Car pic: https://i.imgur.com/BaJBq.jpg

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just bought a hatch...

Looks like they refrained from fart piping it. I would try checking the catalytic converter gasket. Pull a plug, drip in a little oil, put the plug back in, and start it. If you have a major exhaust leak you will see blueish smoke coming through any holes in the system. If there aren't any leaks, you may just want to dynomat it.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

Just keep an eye out on Craigs list for a used OEM exhaust pipe and muffler. They turn up all the time because people ditch them in favor of the loud stuff.

And make sure you've still got the catalytic converter on the end of that header (way under the car). Removing the cat is just like removing one of the mufflers.

If the cat is in place and you cannot find the stock exhaust, you can have a resonator (like a cherry bomb glass pack) added to the pipe running down the center. Every muffler you add to the exhaust makes the car that much quieter.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by thenext
Looks like they refrained from fart piping it. I would try checking the catalytic converter gasket. Pull a plug, drip in a little oil, put the plug back in, and start it. If you have a major exhaust leak you will see blueish smoke coming through any holes in the system. If there aren't any leaks, you may just want to dynomat it.
Just tried that, no smoke from any holes along the pipe. Not sure what dynomat is... is it an insert for the muffler?

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Just keep an eye out on Craigs list for a used OEM exhaust pipe and muffler. They turn up all the time because people ditch them in favor of the loud stuff.

And make sure you've still got the catalytic converter on the end of that header (way under the car). Removing the cat is just like removing one of the mufflers.

If the cat is in place and you cannot find the stock exhaust, you can have a resonator (like a cherry bomb glass pack) added to the pipe running down the center. Every muffler you add to the exhaust makes the car that much quieter.
Checked and there is no catalytic converter, which could be the culprit to my loud exhaust woes. In your experience is it better to just add a quieter muffler, or to add a resonator?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Just bought a hatch...what would you guys recommend to make the exhaust less nois

How about adding a cat??

fm
Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Just bought a hatch...what would you guys recommend to make the exhaust less nois

Remove crap exhaust. Replace with OEM exhaust.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

I would add a cat first. Then a resonator. Then if it's still too loud, replace the muffler. With exhaust sound, there is really no good way to know how it will sound ahead of time. If your really worried about it, you should probably just keep an eye out for a stock exhaust.

If you have some $ to spend and want something upgraded yet OEM, get yourself a JDM SIR-2 exhaust w/ cat from Hmotorsonline. My friend installed this system on his 92 CX w/ B16 swap and it sounds very nice/stockish. Exhaust is quieter than the intake at WOT since he removed the stock intake resonator box. Looks very stock too with a chrome tip. To meet up with your header, you will need the matching JDM cat though. The piping & cat lengths are different in Japan (cat is shorter & exhaust pipe is longer).

Contact Hmotorsonline for details/pricing/availability...
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Most cars that I buy used I end up replacing the b-pipe and muffler. Brand new from Honda usually comes to a total of about $300 for both pieces, and they get lifetime warranties. Some aftermarket companies sell replacements, but they don't always fit and usually only have a 90 day warranty or so.

I've bought used exhaust too, but it normally seems to have problems until I just get the brand new stuff.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OEM piping is probably thicker and more durable. Some shops bend pipe and it's a thinner wall.

You should take a pair of channel locks and try to crush the pipe in several spots. If it crushes, it's time for new pipe.

The exhaust should have the cat, a resonator, loop over and back and then go to the muffler. I would pick up an oem replacement muffler first if I were you. The muffler makes a huge difference. Any modified exhaust will be louder than stock. The only way to get it near silent is to go stock.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cat,resonator,ws2... Done.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cloud7659
Just tried that, no smoke from any holes along the pipe. Not sure what dynomat is... is it an insert for the muffler?

Checked and there is no catalytic converter, which could be the culprit to my loud exhaust woes. In your experience is it better to just add a quieter muffler, or to add a resonator?
Erm sorry, it is "dynAmat" my damn mid-western phonetics.. It is this stuff you line the inside of your car with to baffle noise. People with sound systems use it to cut down on vibration and rattle noise. Imagine throwing an empty soup can on the ground...Now imagine throwing the same can on the ground only filled with foam. It won't be able to resonate as much making it more quiet.
http://www.dynamat.com/
Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenext
Erm sorry, it is "dynAmat" my damn mid-western phonetics.. It is this stuff you line the inside of your car with to baffle noise. People with sound systems use it to cut down on vibration and rattle noise. Imagine throwing an empty soup can on the ground...Now imagine throwing the same can on the ground only filled with foam. It won't be able to resonate as much making it more quiet.
http://www.dynamat.com/
It will make the car quieter on the inside, but the OP said he didn't want to draw attention to himself, and Dynamat doesn't make the car any quieter to the folks on the outside.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, though. It just doesn't address the OP's issue.

I would look out for stock exhaust setup on Craigslist.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperblu
cat,resonator,ws2... Done.
The best advice people have given me and still true today.

WS2=Done.

Don't waste your time and money. Learn from my mistakes. The formula really is that easy (for those who said they want it quiet.)