Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just bought a '94 Civic EX Coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a '94 Civic EX Coupe...

Hey all! I've been an observer of this site for quite some time, but now I am finally a member!

I just purchased a '94 EX Coupe on Saturday. It is bone stock save for a tint job, an aftermarket CD player, and an alarm system. It has 126,000 miles, but runs smoothly with no knocks or anything of that nature.

My questions to you are...

1. Was $3,000 a good price to pay?
2. I read that the D series engine in here does NOT respond well to bolt-ons. Does this mean I should avoid such things as headers or short ram air filters? (I was planning on dropping in a K&N anyways, unless you guys have any other suggestions)
And lastly 3. Did Honda really produce Civics in this crazy *** purple color?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Just bought a '94 Civic EX Coupe... (TC21)

i have a 93 honda civic and my d16z6 motor responds very well to mods. my suggestion is go high rpm performance. what i got is short ram intake, dc sport 4 into 1 headers, aem fuel pressure regulator with b&m gauge(makes vtec kick harder), mugen chipped ecu, msd ignition kit, and greddy exhaust. next upgrade for my car is 6 puck clutch. my car already runs really fast and everyone i race thinks i have a b series swap. of course a b-series would respond much better to mods.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows the body?
The actual color is Candalia Red, mostly coupes came in that color.
Price doesnt sound bad. My buddy got a 95 CX hatch with 98k on it. He did pay a mint for it for $4500 though.
It has PS and auto tranny.

Good luck with your project!
Old 05-30-2005, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Just bought a '94 Civic EX Coupe... (97civicdx)

i thought it was camilla red pearl? i could be wrong, but i did own one of those
Old 05-30-2005, 09:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r3vmixman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i got is short ram intake, dc sport 4 into 1 headers, aem fuel pressure regulator with b&m gauge(makes vtec kick harder), mugen chipped ecu, msd ignition kit, and greddy exhaust. next upgrade for my car is 6 puck clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do I really need to go short ram or could I just drop in a K&N filter? I heard performance is about the same. Also, how satisfied are you with your headers?
Thanks for the info!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r3vmixman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hows the body?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The body is in pretty good shape, only a few dents near the wheel well on one of the rear quarter panels. The only minuses I can really think of (but mostly because I'm critical) is that the moonroof is jammed, the tint job needs to be redone (bubbling) and I had to rip off the front lip because it was missing 1/4th of it.

I got a really good deal considering the dude I got it from was about to trade it in and the dealership was only going to give him 2,000 for it!

P.S. Its a stick shift.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Just bought a '94 Civic EX Coupe... (r3vmixman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r3vmixman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 93 honda civic and my d16z6 motor responds very well to mods. my suggestion is go high rpm performance. what i got is short ram intake, dc sport 4 into 1 headers, aem fuel pressure regulator with b&m gauge(makes vtec kick harder), mugen chipped ecu, msd ignition kit, and greddy exhaust. next upgrade for my car is 6 puck clutch. my car already runs really fast and everyone i race thinks i have a b series swap. of course a b-series would respond much better to mods. </TD></TR></TABLE>
really fast? yea right your silly money wasted on bolt ons probably got u into low 15s MAYBE very high 14s on a perfect day with perfect traction, response, shifting and a perfect driver. i guaruntee u spent atleast 1300 on that too. for that much u could have gone turbo and been deep into 14s easily, possible 13s. and with that 6 puck your gonna **** up hella ****, a 6 puck is for like 400 hp. as for the thread creator you can get just a filter and no it wont do the same in performance although most ppl will disagree. when good companies make intakes they just odnt put a pipe and filter and sticker on, like i know aem is one of the best for the price. im talking from experiance, i have beat b16s with bolt ons and all i had was my aem v2. dont tint your windows save your money and boost the d
Old 05-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought a '94 Civic EX Coupe... (93ejay1)

Hello, Hello,HELLO. First b4 you do anything to it YOU decide which way you want to go, what you want from your engine and car, an EX coupe bone stock is like a clean blackboard just waiting for the teachers chalk. It's waiting for your handwriting to make it unique, put thought into every addition you do to it to make sure it gets you closer to what you want out of your car. HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY H-T and good luck bro. peace.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty nice pick up

depending on the condition and where you live, i think 3,000 was a pretty good price...i got my 95 ex with 86k for 3500 though

and i'd have to agree with 93ejay1...aem is one of the best intakes...hearing from others with aem and having an aem myself i tink its pretty damn good...id like to try out the v2 though

and the color you have im assuming is camilia red pearl

good luck with whatever route you choose to go with it
Old 05-30-2005, 09:48 AM

Got my 95 EX coupe for $1,500.. Very clean body / No rust.. few dings here and there..sold the lip, Has 215,000 Miles on the odometer.. still pulls hard and runs strong . HONDA = ..
Old 05-30-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Just bought a '94 Civic EX Coupe... (VTEC98Civ)

if you dont wanna get a ram air intake just take off the resinator under neath the stock air box and slap in a kn filter youll even get the intake sound.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:43 AM

i 1st got my coupe for 3500 clean 94K it was an OK price

about MODS...

on my coupe i spent around $300, i bought a J's intake, DC 4-1 header and catback exhaust. it runs strong a good 15.5 with a lil weight reduction. i whoop on a lot of people on the street, 2000 SI's get whooped on easily, ive taken a b16 hatch before and ive smoked countless SOHC guys. id say buy some used bolt ons, youll be happy....then save up money for utrbo or a big B swap
Old 05-30-2005, 10:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (vg7z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vg7z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i 1st got my coupe for 3500 clean 94K it was an OK price

about MODS...

on my coupe i spent around $300, i bought a J's intake, DC 4-1 header and catback exhaust. it runs strong a good 15.5 with a lil weight reduction. i whoop on a lot of people on the street, 2000 SI's get whooped on easily, ive taken a b16 hatch before and ive smoked countless SOHC guys. id say buy some used bolt ons, youll be happy....then save up money for utrbo or a big B swap</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no way in hell you beat an Si with a car that has way less hp and weighs virtually the same as an Si.

Seriously don't even waste your time with anything but turbo on a d16....
Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

Ooops, my bad. The guys are right on the color name. LOL
Old 05-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: (97civicdx)

Old 05-30-2005, 01:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is no way in hell you beat an Si with a car that has way less hp and weighs virtually the same as an Si.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ive beaten an all stock si with my d16z6 minor mods and wieght reduction. there both 1.6 liters. oh yea alot of it depends on the driver too.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (e jay one)

NaaaAAAAawWWWwwwWWWWzZZZZzzz!
Old 05-30-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Just bought a '94 Civic EX Coupe... (eJone powereD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...you can get just a filter and no it wont do the same in performance although most ppl will disagree. when good companies make intakes they just odnt put a pipe and filter and sticker on, like i know aem is one of the best for the price. im talking from experiance, i have beat b16s with bolt ons and all i had was my aem v2. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eJone powereD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and i'd have to agree with 93ejay1...aem is one of the best intakes...hearing from others with aem and having an aem myself i tink its pretty damn good...id like to try out the v2 though
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info, guys! I guess I'm leaning more towards an AEM system. The next question is then... which one would serve me best? Short ram, cold air, or V2? Also, what's the deal with the hybrid intake system (saw it on the AEM website)?

I don't want to go too crazy on this car, it will be my daily driver. I will need to keep my A/C, etc.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:49 PM

im pretty sure those guys are talking about a cold air intake wich i also prefer of short ram. so i would say yea go cold air. the hybrid intakes are for swaped cars as in cars with different motors so the intake will fit and function properly.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There is no way in hell you beat an Si with a car that has way less hp and weighs virtually the same as an Si.

Seriously don't even waste your time with anything but turbo on a d16....</TD></TR></TABLE>

SI's are SLOW AS *****. i dont care what u say, ive smoked numerous SI's on the street....1st and 2nd gear im ****** gone the z6 has a 90mm stroke which makes nice low end torque, im a car ahead in 3rd gear and theyll SLOWLY start to crawl up but race ends before they can get me

a buddy of mine has ran a 14.6 with a z6 with i\h\e zex 59300 bm fpr and .030 mill in a 93 dx hatch.....and dont say he wasted tons of money cuz it only cost him $600. theres no way u can get a FULL swap with tranny and ecu for 600 unless its stolen
Old 05-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TC21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the info, guys! I guess I'm leaning more towards an AEM system. The next question is then... which one would serve me best? Short ram, cold air, or V2? Also, what's the deal with the hybrid intake system (saw it on the AEM website)?

I don't want to go too crazy on this car, it will be my daily driver. I will need to keep my A/C, etc.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

depends...id prefer short ram over the cold air to prevent sucking in water just in case it rains one day

v2 supposedly gives a few more ponies...not sure, so dont quote me on that...93ejay1, care to come in on this?

as for the hybrid intake, that's if you have a swap in your car such as b-series...its made to fit in the engine bay and the swap so that way you wont have a dilemma between which intake to get for your car...one for a civic or one for the swap
Old 05-30-2005, 09:56 PM

yea the v2 is suppose to give more hp and trq and it does from what ive experienced. the v2 usues dual chamber desing to create multiple frequency sound waves. the primary pipe is smaller and longer than the secondary pipe, this helps generate lower frequency sound waves in the inlet tract that coincide with lower rpm while a larger, shorter secondary pipe generates higher frequency sound waves with higher rpm. pretty much what this says is that the v2 has power throughout the entire rpm range while the original cai and short ram only have low end or high end, not both.

from experiance i have raced many or my friends in their eg's and all of them had just an intake. they all had d16z6's too, ex's and si's. everytime i have raced i was ahead by a couple of feet from 1-2 and when i hit 3rd i start to pull away by a car so this shows how the v2 helps in higher rpms
Old 05-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice

btw, how much did the v2 run you?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:01 PM

nothing, bday gift from my friend but i think theyre like 300+
Old 05-30-2005, 10:11 PM

That's a nice f-ing friend!