Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Junkyard civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Junkyard civic

Browsing on a junkyard auction a few days ago, noticed an ek coupe that looked lowered and it caught my attention so I put a $100 dollar bid on.
few days roll by and I win the auction on the car for 550. From photos I knew It had a bseries vtec, knew nothing else about the car didn’t know if it ran.
picked it up to today and got to look at it closely.
list of what I’ve seen that is done so far.
b16a2(haven’t checked tranny code yet)
coilovers-unknown
rear lca-unknown
catback exhaust-unknown
short shifter
hid
sub with 10 everything wired up
front lip
fog lights
ecu is missing, I have a chipped p28.
Im hopefully getting a jumper harness to plug that ecu in and see if it runs.
Not a bad $500 spent I’d say.

don’t have any real pictures yet, just screen shots from the website. I’ll keep the post updated for anyone who cares on progress junkyard civic haha

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-29-2020, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Junkyard civic

Good steal!
Old 10-29-2020, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 289 Likes on 277 Posts

Sweet! the shell alone should sell for $500!
Old 10-29-2020, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by punk0mi
Good steal!
just waiting on this jumper harness to see if it’s a runner. 🤞 for now it just sits.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Sweet! the shell alone should sell for $500!
exactly haha. Couldn’t pass it up. Found another bseries vtec ek At junkyard auction Last night I’m tempted to bid on. But the drive is 6 hours one way.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 289 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie_mistake
exactly haha. Couldn’t pass it up. Found another bseries vtec ek At junkyard auction Last night I’m tempted to bid on. But the drive is 6 hours one way.
In my day a good shell was good for at least $500 to $800 and a good Vtec head and block went for $500+ each! easily and honestly the market hasn't really fell off due to the many popular vtec head conversions ect..
Old 10-30-2020, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jumper harness cane in the morning and I went and got a b16 map on my ecu, plugged everything in and with a with a jump start the junkyard civic fired right up! And it purrs. Took it for a little rip around the block and I couldn’t be happier with this purchase. one fog light doesn’t work, looks like the forklift ripped the wires but other than that all lights work, blinkers, brake lights.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don’t mind the fitment, I haven’t messed with the suspension yet, I took these wheels off my broke down ef to get rid of the rusty steelies that it came with haha.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! looks clean to me!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 187Chor
WOW! looks clean to me!
it is really clean, I’m stoked. Looked like a pile from the auction pictures but a good detail on this thing and it’ll look really good. Super dirty from sitting for who knows how long.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How is it underneath though?
Old 10-30-2020, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
How is it underneath though?
the underneath was surprisingly really clean, nothing alarming, nothing rotting, wheel wells are clean no rust.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rookie_mistake:
Old 10-31-2020, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

What's the title status? Or is going to be a track only car?
Old 11-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by punk0mi
What's the title status? Or is going to be a track only car?
so that’s the part I’m not 100% on. So I got a bill of sale with the car that said “the seller warrants that a certificate of title of said vehicle is being forwarded to department of licensing in Olympia in accordance with rcw 46.12.070”. So I don’t know what that means, Tuesday when the dmv opens I’m going to stop in and see exactly what i need to do to get a title for the car or if a new one is being issued.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

That’s a certified sickie! I would be curious what the coil overs are so you don’t rip around too hard on some potential eBay junk. Pretty jealous of this find!
Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rango_the_Sol
That’s a certified sickie! I would be curious what the coil overs are so you don’t rip around too hard on some potential eBay junk. Pretty jealous of this find!
from a quick look, haven’t seen any name brand, they are pretty basic only have adjustable ride height. The lca are stamped “EMUSA” and the coilovers are the same anodized red so I’m assuming they’re the same brand.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a dang good steal for a junk yard!! Good find man.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stevej6
Looks like a dang good steal for a junk yard!! Good find man.
I didn’t know what I was getting my self into, it didn’t say it ran, primary damage was mechanical. So worst case i part it out and make my money back. I got it home, noticed there was no ecu so I ordered an obd2 to obd1 jumper harness got my p28 mapped to run a b16 and it fired right up and I drove it around the block. Everything works. On the 16th I have a state inspection, hopefully it’ll pass so I can get it titled and start driving it. I have a stock steering with air bag and a passenger air bag and seat belt to replace and it should be good. My passenger airbag doesn’t have the dash cover and I don’t know if they will care about that or not so we’ll see haha.
Over all- not a bad way to spend $500

hopefully I can convince the wife that I want to keep it and run a b16 turbo while I take my sweet time piecing together a kswap.

I’ll be following your post for motivation haha.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All in all I’d say that’s a big win. Around here you can’t find anything like that. I over paid to get my hatch because I wanted one stock and untouched. And that’s hard to find unless it’s been beaten into the ground. I don’t think it’ll be too hard to convince your wife, just gotta sweet talk her a little bit. And find practicality in what ever you do, so she doesn’t think it’s just because you want a new part. That’s what my wife said haha.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this. And I hope you find the motivation in mine haha. It’s taken me a lot of late nights to actually get work done
Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 260 Likes on 223 Posts

from a quick look, haven’t seen any name brand, they are pretty basic only have adjustable ride height. The lca are stamped “EMUSA” and the coilovers are the same anodized red so I’m assuming they’re the same brand.
EMUSA = EBAY junk. Other than that...not bad for what you paid for the car.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All in all I’d say that’s a big win. Around here you can’t find anything like that. I over paid to get my hatch because I wanted one stock and untouched. And that’s hard to find unless it’s been beaten into the ground. I don’t think it’ll be too hard to convince your wife, just gotta sweet talk her a little bit. And find practicality in what ever you do, so she doesn’t think it’s just because you want a new part. That’s what my wife said haha.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this. And I hope you find the motivation in mine haha. It’s taken me a lot of late nights to actually get work done
I over paid for my other ek but I wanted it haha. I got a pretty mint hx coupe, bone stock, still has hx wheels, 160k, 5spd, needs a new engine, that thing is almost done and that'll be my commuter and ill be in that car 1300 including the new motor I got for it. and then I can put my focus on the b16.
Ive been daily driving an ef sedan and for a couple months straight was doing 600+ miles a week and no cup holders was driving me nuts so I picked up this hx coupe with cup holders. the hx will stay vtec-e, I want that prime mpg haha.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
EMUSA = EBAY junk. Other than that...not bad for what you paid for the car.
Yeah that's what I figured haha. its okay, much of the stuff on this car will be changed out.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I over paid for my other ek but I wanted it haha. I got a pretty mint hx coupe, bone stock, still has hx wheels, 160k, 5spd, needs a new engine, that thing is almost done and that'll be my commuter and ill be in that car 1300 including the new motor I got for it. and then I can put my focus on the b16.
Ive been daily driving an ef sedan and for a couple months straight was doing 600+ miles a week and no cup holders was driving me nuts so I picked up this hx coupe with cup holders. the hx will stay vtec-e, I want that prime mpg haha.
hahs. Sounds like your better of than me. I do about 100 miles a day. In my 07 Duramax. And finally found a busted 99 dx coupe to commute in. I only paid 1000. It’s ugly but she drive great. Only issue is DMV is slower than molasses so I’m still waiting on tags and title
Old 12-05-2020, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahs. Sounds like your better of than me. I do about 100 miles a day. In my 07 Duramax. And finally found a busted 99 dx coupe to commute in. I only paid 1000. It’s ugly but she drive great. Only issue is DMV is slower than molasses so I’m still waiting on tags and title
I do 75 miles round trip, my commute isn’t too bad. And no traffic! Thanks to night shift haha. My wife and daughter moved 3 hours away to help out a family business for a couple months and I was driving out there every Friday and work and leaving Monday back to work, the mileage was racking up and I realized my ef is not a comfortable long drive commuter, bought two ek’s with in days of each other. Not planned.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do 75 miles round trip, my commute isn’t too bad. And no traffic! Thanks to night shift haha. My wife and daughter moved 3 hours away to help out a family business for a couple months and I was driving out there every Friday and work and leaving Monday back to work, the mileage was racking up and I realized my ef is not a comfortable long drive commuter, bought two ek’s with in days of each other. Not planned.
thats how it always goes haha