Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jdmcarboy

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdmcarboy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, relatively new to the site, and i'm in the research phase for a swap. i've got a 2000 EK(cx model) and although i really...REALLY wanted to drop in a k20, it's just not going to be practical nor is the cost and fabrication going to be justfied (This car's my daily driver, and i've got a baby on the way). So, I'm opting for a gsr swap and i'll just drop upgrades along the way. Anyways, there's a shop/site(refrenced in the title) and am wondering if anyone in the SoCal area has dealt with these guys. here's the link to the engine i'm considering:
http://www.jdmcarboy.com/index.php?m...products_id=72
and for only $250 more bucks i can get an lsd tranny...the package looks reasonable, and since it falls into the same year range as my car i'm hoping the swap will be pretty straightforward-i'd like to be able to smog it, and maybe even get a b.a.r. cert. i've checked out hmotors but the grs engines they offer are all older than the car i've got, save for the type-R.
or if anyone can recommend a reputable socal spot for a motor that would be great. i've got a truck so id prefer to pick it up instead of deal with shipping. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Default Re: jdmcarboy

Thats gonna be a JDM motor right? Sounds like you are in CA too. The JDM motors don't fly here. I would search the marketplace and craigslist for a good swap. Gonna be hard for you to find one though. You only have 2 options. 2000 or 2001. They are available. You'll just have to search. The swap itself isn't hard. You have an EX so the wiring will be a breeze.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R666_EK
Thats gonna be a JDM motor right? Sounds like you are in CA too. The JDM motors don't fly here. I would search the marketplace and craigslist for a good swap. Gonna be hard for you to find one though. You only have 2 options. 2000 or 2001. They are available. You'll just have to search. The swap itself isn't hard. You have an EX so the wiring will be a breeze.
actually your wrong. i just got my hatch registered today, it has a JDM gsr. But to register your JDM motor you are gonna have to deal with the state ref which can be a headache. goodluck.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Registering it is totally different than smoging it. You don't need to ref it if you are registering either. Good luck getting that smogged.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my point is he can have a JDM motor.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Well then you got lucky. The engine code on a jdm is b18c which is not the same as the usdm b18c1. They usually don't like that. Most of the time you have to convert quite a few parts in order to make it pass here. Not saying its impossible but most of the time won't work.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lucky? you dont know what your talking about.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Yeah ok kid. STFU. Its a fact that CA doesn't like JDM motors. Congratulations. You got yours to pass.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah ok kid. STFU. Its a fact that CA doesn't like JDM motors. Congratulations. You got yours to pass.
This might hurt....

JDM motors can also be BAR'ed for your info. Its the same ****. Just that one has to do more **** to pass than with a USDM one. Example: If you have a JDM gsr b18c you would need to change the whole intake manifold to a USDM one for the sensors,and there is this other thing in the block which i cant remember. Something with the oil pump i think.

So your wrong. The only engines you cant BAR here in cali are a B20,B20 VTEC,LS/VTEC
Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Well then you got lucky. The engine code on a jdm is b18c which is not the same as the usdm b18c1. They usually don't like that. Most of the time you have to convert quite a few parts in order to make it pass here. Not saying its impossible but most of the time won't work.
I'll quote my own post.

I said it wasn't impossible but not easy without converting things. And that other thing is the CKF. The crank fluctuation sensor located in the oil pump.

And yes I know that any kind of head swap is not legal whatsoever. So thanks for trying. The point is, Swapping a JDM GSR is not legal. It can be made legal but just as it is, its not.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll quote my own post.

I said it wasn't impossible but not easy without converting things. And that other thing is the CKF. The crank fluctuation sensor located in the oil pump.

And yes I know that any kind of head swap is not legal whatsoever. So thanks for trying. The point is, Swapping a JDM GSR is not legal. It can be made legal but just as it is, its not.
TRUE.

But swapping any DOHC into a civic(EXCEPT the Si) is illegal. Period, till its BAR'ed
Old 04-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Yep. I still need to get mine done. USDM GSR in my 97 Civic.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r666_ek
yep. I still need to get mine done. Usdm gsr in my 97 civic.
that makes 2 of us.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have never bought anything from jdmcarboy, but i have heard of them and i have stopped in their store. I tried calling their store frequent times before to see if they had something in stock and gotten no answer cause no one picked up the phone. other then that, i just here they have poor customer service, thats all.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 PM

thanks for the responses guys...i don't have an ex, i've got a cx. um i've checked hmotors online and they don't have a motor that matches my year...except the type-R. althought that would be awesome i dont know if i could afford it lol, which is why i'm asking about this jdm car boy place. it's got a gsr motor with the year i need. also i tried talking to a ref on the phone but he wasn't in the office...but i did talk to someone else in there that said he's seen jdm motors pass bar as long as the years match up, and all the emissions stuff is connected..oh and he mentioned putting on a usdm spec throttle body since it's got the needed sensors. there was a thread about a jdm itr being bar certified recently, but i can't find it-it might be another honda site...it mentions doing that ckf change. if that's the case what i'm gonna do is make those changes before i swap in the motor.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont like Jdm carboy.. very bad customer service... I would rather go with HMO.. talk to steve into finding a motor thats the same year of your car or newer.. they have tons of engines because Ive been to their warehouse.. and they are all sorted out.. like all the h22a type S on one side, all the b18c type R on the other side etc... its pretty cool and while you wait in the lounge, you can look at the big puffer fish they have and the big fish tank. :]
Old 04-10-2009, 12:10 AM

go hmotors for sure, some of the best prices good customer service and from what i have seen in the past they are cheaper than jdm carboy. oooh i got my complete jdm gsr motor from them as well as the whole body&glass from them.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 PM

california is a nice place to live, but way too much nanny rules
Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 PM

i bought some vision lenses form jdmcarboy and it took over a month to get them called them like 5 times with no response .Never bought a motor but have bought car parts from hmotors got them in like 4 days no issues
Old 04-12-2009, 10:40 PM

DONT BUY FROM THEM inleast you want ur part to come in a month late haha that what happen to me -_- they BS alot.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DapEK4Lover
DONT BUY FROM THEM inleast you want ur part to come in a month late haha that what happen to me -_- they BS alot.
its cause they have to go steal it first. they arent the most legit company around.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have first hand experience with jdmcarboy, but i've read several threads about parts arriving late or not arriving at all. Be careful
Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy
I don't have first hand experience with jdmcarboy, but i've read several threads about parts arriving late or not arriving at all. Be careful
I can tell you from first hand experience that they lie about alot of things.. Randy, the guy who promised me parts, took my money and told me it will be here a couple of days.. then days turned into weeks, then weeks into months. And then they wont be arriving soon.. I was so pissed I called him and told him Im going to the shop to pick up my money.. When I arrived he wouldnt even let me in the door because he has a security door and the only way to get in is by buzzing it.. yes hes that scared.. maybe alot of people wants to beat him up? anyways I got my money back and left..

I also know the owner of NRG who told me that JDMCARBOY is ****.. he used to own the building that JDMCARBOY use to rent. Anyways he tells me that Randy is an idiot for giving away parts out that fast at a cheap price because hes basically flooding the market with goods.. and that if he keeps doing that, he wont have a shop to sell anything else because of supply and demand.. and that's they're problem.. that's why they have so much stuff in back order.. besides most of the stuff is ebay aftermarket ****.. well it used to be back then..
Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 AM

well in the future i'm probably gonna avoid giving this place my business based on what i've read...but either way the swap's gonna have to wait since i was in a hit and run accident on saturday. luckilly the idiot's plate was left at the scene-i'm gonna miss my slow EK

https://honda-tech.com/album.php?alb...ictureid=21600
and to make things worse...i had just installed these rotors literally a couple hours beforehand...
https://honda-tech.com/album.php?alb...ictureid=21607
p.s. the cop was a dick he saw my intake and asked if i was racing...and fyi i wasn't this jerk hit me while i was in the intersection and just kept going.

Last edited by filiperuvian; 04-13-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
New User

Now really!

Does this guy look trustworthy?

http://profiles.friendster.com/282632

Quick Reply: jdmcarboy