Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell)

well i've been doin a lot of searching (a $hit ton) and still coming up short because theres not a whole lot of good info to be found. lots of people just say do a vin swap but don't want to deal with the world of hurt i'd be in should something come up. basically what i've figured out on my own is im gonna need all the paperwork that came with the car from japan(de-reg papers, customs, etc.) and for California im assuming i need to complete form reg343 http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf . if indeed this is the form i need to fill out does the dmv issue you a temp reg sticker(red tag thing) until chp inspect the vehicle and i get it smogged? for smog im guessing you can bar it like a us car with a swap? like say i got a 92-95 civic sir, could i just make it match a us 94-95 b16a3 del sol(us p30 ecu, a fresh cat us intake main, and anything i may be missing? does all glass & lights really have to be DOT? i would think if you align the headlights to pass a light inspection it shouldn't matter, but knowing cali im sure it does. if i could just get some sort a help it would be greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance
ps feel free to pm me if you wish
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default FV-QR

I have no idea how to help, but when you find the information you should post it here.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FV-QR (NOFX)

it's probably cheaper to either move to japan or stop worrying about jdm crap.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell) (m_shake)

bump. nofx if i find out ill let you know
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell) (m_shake)

monday morning @ work bump
Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 AM

would registering it anywhere else be different than in california? cause if so i would say just move to another state and do i there haha
Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell) (Apotheosis)

it seems like the only extra hurdle sp? is smog in cali but that can be done
Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Along this line of thought, I would like to get an Orthia. Has anyone heard of one being brought to the U.S. mainland
Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell) (Bad Brian)

that would be pretty unique reg it as a crv lol
Old 09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Orthia came in '96 I believe, same as the Outback. Which vehicle would have won that battle? Outback had that part of the market all to themselves and look what happened. Can you imagine the line out the door at Honda dealers for 1.8 or 2.0 AWD Civic wagons! Wagons, another area Honda abandoned in the U.S. Christ, all the Japanese manuf. have cool cars that we do not get. I need to move to Aus. or N.Z.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell) (Bad Brian)

yup honda america drops the ball on alot of things. still wait on a supermoto bike from them
Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Default FV-QR

Just think of all the small cc turbo engines in the cars overseas and think of how many we got here from Honda.

I can understand why they didn't bring some models over here though. But with the success of the Fit I would hope maybe they'd bring another similar car over, but I can also see that the sales nationwide might not be as high as they are here, in the hippy state.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

The Orthia was/is awesome, but it didn;t make sense for Honda to bring it ashore back in 1996 because SUVs were all the rage, and wagons were, well, being shat upon in comparison.

As you can see in my sig I'm a wagon guy too, but Honda has to make business decisions first.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell) (B18C5-EH2)

As us auto makers go further down the drain and gas prices increase we will probably start seeing more of the jap only car make there way into honda americas line-up.....but that still doesn't answer my registration question!!
Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i were you just call the state smog ref for that info and talk to them but don't let them think you own the car yet. Let them think you want to bring a car from japan to here that will be given to you. they should know everything as far as glass and emissions stuff.

remember California has the strickest emissions laws.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m_shake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As us auto makers go further down the drain and gas prices increase we will probably start seeing more of the jap only car make there way into honda americas line-up.....but that still doesn't answer my registration question!! </TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't know about that. The better thing for them to do (as a company) is bring a car into a market where there is already a preexisting niche.

That ensures the vehicle should have decent sales.

Making a guess is more of a gamble. Remember the Fit has been out since 2001, but only came to the US in 2006, after the Aveo and other similar small cars became successful.

Oh, and if I had to call an Orthia another name, I'd call it a Civic. It's a compact wagon on the Civic platform already.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell) (NOFX)

god damn everybody has ADD, this **** went of topic fast then.... ooo shiny red ball*runs into street* lol tuesday morning bump
Old 09-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I looked into getting one registered and it is not allowed to be done legally unless you are a register importer and change nearly everything
Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have no idea how to help, but when you find the information you should post it here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's a first!!! I'm curious to find out too.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (obuhmyuh)

my brother watches skylines drive across the border from canada to maine through his doorm window all the time!

make friends with someone in canada and have them drive it down and leave it?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my crx SiR was vin swapped and i was paranoid everytime i drove by a cop, id try doingit the right way, and im about 90% sure u need to change the glass.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by obuhmyuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's a first!!! I'm curious to find out too.</TD></TR></TABLE>
There's plenty I don't know. I don't usually post in thread where I don't know though.

I post in this thread because no one was helping him.

I'd really like to see some peopel call their local DMVs to figure this out for sure.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: FV-QR (nix94delsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nix94delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my brother watches skylines drive across the border from canada to maine through his doorm window all the time!

make friends with someone in canada and have them drive it down and leave it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, here in canada, new brunswick at least its easy to get a RHD vehicle registered. As long as the vehicle is at least 15 years old you just go to service new brunswick with the import documentation and get it registered like any other vehicle. A friend on mine has a '92 JDM SiR. Thats all he did, no problem at all and it doesn't cost him any more to insure than a standard left hand drive civic.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, here in canada, new brunswick at least its easy to get a RHD vehicle registered. As long as the vehicle is at least 15 years old you just go to service new brunswick with the import documentation and get it registered like any other vehicle. A friend on mine has a '92 JDM SiR. Thats all he did, no problem at all and it doesn't cost him any more to insure than a standard left hand drive civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

god damn canadians getting your jdm cars and socialized health coverage!!

Quick Reply: jdm registration(I know I know you'll all tell me to go to hell)