Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL?

problem:
2000 Acura 1.6EL = 2000 Civic Sedan
with CTR 22mm rear sway and reinforcement plates
driver side stock subframe is tore into 2 pieces.

solution:
1. weld another stock one back on and get new reinforcement plates?
or
2. weld on the JDM CTR rear subframe, while continuing to use the 22mm sway bar?

if going with option #2, how dependable is this?
if there is enough force induced by the sway to cause a rip, which in this case the subframe would not fail and tear right? since the ctr 22mm sway is made for the ctr subframe (logically assuming?) however, would there be enough force/moments acting ON the welds between the subframe and chassis to rip the actual subframe off the chassis???

any inputs anyone who's done this application?

TIA!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (Type V)

anyone?
Old 11-16-2003, 09:37 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (Type V)

The JDM rear crossmembers have the steering rack on the wrong side, so even if you did cut & weld something, it won't work. Your best bet is to find any 96-00 US/Canadian/LHD Civic rear crossmember (all the same.... some have PS, some don't so it all depends on what your car has) and go with that.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (Newman)

He's referring to the rear subframe, where the rear lower control arms and rear sway bar are attached.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:16 PM
New User

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (743)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He's referring to the rear subframe, where the rear lower control arms and rear sway bar are attached.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rear sway and lower control arm are attached to the rear crossmember/subframe (whatever you want to call it), as you can see in the picture above (and they are heavy to move around too). If you're taking about the bolting the sway bar to the actual body of the car, then there's no difference there. But if he's talking about swapping out the rear subframe/crossmember, then the RHD vs. LHD part still applies.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (Newman)

thanks guys for replying!

Newman - Yes I am referring to swap out the subframe, but i don't quite understand how the rear subframe would have the RHD vs. LHD difference in terms of the steering rack? I though steering rack differences only applies to the front subframe?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The rear sway and lower control arm are attached to the rear crossmember/subframe (whatever you want to call it), as you can see in the picture above (and they are heavy to move around too). If you're taking about the bolting the sway bar to the actual body of the car, then there's no difference there. But if he's talking about swapping out the rear subframe/crossmember, then the RHD vs. LHD part still applies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you're misunderstanding. The part he is describing is not shown in your photo. It is a part of the rear suspension, and has no relation to steering racks, or lhd/rhd.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:12 AM
New User

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (743)

Whoa... my bad. I'm smoking crack here . Kept on thinking of the FRONT sway bar and FRONT subframe... heh, whoops. For the rear, all 96-00 models (hatch for hatch, coupe for coupe, sedan for sedan) are very similar, so no problems.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so he would not be able to take the subframe from a CTR and put it on his sedan correct?
Old 11-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (slammed_93_hatch)

ok that's a good thing.

but now i'm wondering if anyone knows that a CTR subframe (because it is made of thicker material) would not only fit on the usdm sedan chassis, but also, withstand all the forces/moments induced by the oem CTR 22mm rear sway bar.

i don't want the CTR subframe to tear off the welds connect IT to the chassis of my car.

anyone knows if there is a material grade/thickness difference between the CTR chassis and the OTHER model line up civic's???

TIA!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:43 PM

"Jackson" has the CTR subframe on his ek hatch. I beleive its a bit thicker than our usdm counterpart. As for the subframe tearing at the welds, highly unlikely.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:44 PM
crazy eyez killa

If it's stronger, go for it,

why would it work fine on a CTR but rip off your 1.6?

Old 11-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (dupalala)

"why would it work fine on a CTR but rip off your 1.6?"

it ocurred to be that perhaps the actual chassis (usdm civic sedan) that the CTR subframe is welded to might not be the same grade/thickness material as the ACTUAL CTR chassis...

now, if the usdm chassis is the same as the ctr chassis, then sure, i have no doubt in my mind the ctr subframe would not fail at the welds onto the usdm chassi.

but i'm wondering if indeed the ctr chass is MADE thicker than the usdm chassis, then iwth the ctr subframe thickness made for the ctr chassis would the welds FAIL upon enough force from the subframe onto the chassis...

that is a big mouthful, i hope i got my point across and clear?
thanks everyone!
Old 11-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-19-2003, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's Vic right?

anyhow....your concerns are bordering on analysis paralysis.

You will not be able to tear the **** out of your CTR subframe with the 22mm bar.... the way the rear Xmember is designed that makes it a daunting task.

If you are worried about the actual Xmember tearing off the chassis ...then that would really depend on who put the part on for you....

The cheaper alternative is to ofcourse reweld and reinforce the OEM Xmember.... you just have to know where to weld and what to weld in place.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (RagingAngel)

w00t w00t it's PAT!

i'm not concerned about the ctr sway tearing the ctr subframe.

yes i'm concnered bout the subframe tearing off the chassis.

would you recommend any particular bodyshop who has done this or has the knowledge to do a "good job"?
this is under icbc claim. I just want to make sure it is done "well"...

if you were at AJR the night I found out about the subframe tear... i don't think you would try welding the "tore" piece back in place.
the usual AJR clan was there...
Old 11-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try asking Ben who would he trust to do the work.

I'm good with my own bodyshop source...shop around and see what they will tell you in terms of price and guarantees...

like what IF it does tear out after THEY've installed it....get something on paper....

As for welding the OEM piece..... I've seen some pretty bad tearing... you juss gotta have a competent welder do it back up...

but then again..without pics I can't tell you with a definitive yes...or wholeheartedly agree that your **** is FOOKED...

Old 11-19-2003, 02:06 PM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (RagingAngel)

usdm chassis is the same grade steel as jdm ctr

Old 11-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM CTR rear crossmember/subframe onto USDM Civic Sedean/Acura 1.6EL? (dupalala)

thanks for all the info guys! :D
Old 11-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Kill Gil

PM or e-mail "Jackson" he got it done for like only $100 or something like that. The only problem is locating one...