Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Jackson Racing y8

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackson Racing y8

I was thinking of supercharging my y8 in my 00. Compared to the greddy kit or say edelbrock it is significantly cheaper. Maybe a lot safer as well. Has anyone out there done this, and put out decent numbers? I know the guy at the shop in my town would like to see me try something new other then the turbo road which is worn out. PLus in the future I know that you can always up the boost through various bolt ons. What do you all think?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:00 PM

They are fun when done right. With bolt-ons you should get like 210 whp give or take.
With an upgraded pully maybe 250ish?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (.No_Honda.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .No_Honda. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are fun when done right. With bolt-ons you should get like 210 whp give or take.
With an upgraded pully maybe 250ish?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, JRSC's on Y8s with header and exhaust are on average about 145whp.

Greddy w/o intercooler is about 150whp as well.

Edelbrock turbo kit with exhaust is right at 175whp.

I've seen all three and personally feel the Edelbrock kit is the only way to go.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:02 PM

Damn thats terrible, Alright forget the Supercharger.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:08 AM

Spade with that said is the turbo a safer alternative. I dont plan on getting crazy and boosting until I learn more. So I probly wont do much over 8 psi. And dont you think the edelbrock kit limits you because of how it is ran, piggybacking and all? I heard it is a very limited kit, not that I want crazy numbers...I was just told the supercharger is a lot safer internal wise.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check out http://www.D-series.org :: thah tha info u wanted to know about yoru y7/y8 & more
Old 04-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d16Booger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16Booger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Spade with that said is the turbo a safer alternative. I dont plan on getting crazy and boosting until I learn more. So I probly wont do much over 8 psi. And dont you think the edelbrock kit limits you because of how it is ran, piggybacking and all? I heard it is a very limited kit, not that I want crazy numbers...I was just told the supercharger is a lot safer internal wise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am close friends with the person who owns the Silver Civic on Edelbrocks website, he's had the stock kit at stock (7psi) for....wow 3 years now and we haven't hand any problems at all.

IMO, at stock boost both the JRSC and the Edelbrock kit are safe to use. The Greddy will need an intercooler if you want to be safe.

BTW, the Edelbrock kit is 100% cali legal.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, JRSC's on Y8s with header and exhaust are on average about 145whp.

Greddy w/o intercooler is about 150whp as well.

Edelbrock turbo kit with exhaust is right at 175whp.

I've seen all three and personally feel the Edelbrock kit is the only way to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

145whp? man that sucks. If my 12.5:1 vtec-e d16 doesn't put down that NA i will be pissed
Old 04-08-2006, 11:59 PM

Alright well I thank you for your quick replies. But now that you all are into it, what do you think of the transmission withholding the numbers when it is an automatic. Please no flaming because dont really care what other people say bout them. Just curious if it can withhold the torque from the SC or the HP from the TC. Just curious if anyone has heard of other stories.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16Booger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright well I thank you for your quick replies. But now that you all are into it, what do you think of the transmission withholding the numbers when it is an automatic. Please no flaming because dont really care what other people say bout them. Just curious if it can withhold the torque from the SC or the HP from the TC. Just curious if anyone has heard of other stories.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The transmission will be fine, you'll want to look into getting a stronger stall converter.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:24 PM

is that just going to help my launches?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i checked out the price on the edelbrock turbo kit...it looks good but with the price tag of $3500 you might as well get a motor swap...
Old 04-09-2006, 04:38 PM

happy with the y8 due to my maturety level I really did think of a swap. But then I thought I an get the edelbrock for 3 grand and I will have to have a little help with installing it, because of my lack of tools and exp. And then I looked at the swap. I wouldnt be happy with the numbers of a b16a2, then I looked at like a c5 or an h22a1 but with those do you have to replace the axels? Plus we are talking mounts, engine, ecu, tranny, tranny swap, and a **** load of other things. Now with that said dont you think it would be cheaper just to boost it with the semi-safe edelbrock kit. I dont know how much axels cost but I do have an idea on the engine prices.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best bet for you and same goes for me becuz i've got a EJ8 too...run a gsr or itr motor....all you would need is to buy a complete motor bro...with the money your gonna spend on the turbo you'll be able to get a gsr...but for a itr you'll need more...and no you wont need new axles....well aslong as you get a complete swap....in the end a swap is going to be worth it...just keep researching on the turbo setup and swap setup...
Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

if you do decide to turbo it, make your own kit.. you can make your own kit with new and used parts for much less than a edelbrok* kit or greddy.. plus will have more potential. if you think about turbo check out turbod16.. great info on there.. but motor swap is going to be more reliable and have alot more potential..
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 PM

nothing against d series but i dont think its worth it,...look at your numbers and the money your spending, ive known guys with d series on boost, spray, boost and spray they've all but one gone over to b series, dude you dont even have to think of a gsr or itr (would be nice) but if you want to save some money just boost on an ls, its low comp makes it pretty cheap to go on boost and with about 8psi you'll be putting out about 230hp or so...
Old 04-09-2006, 11:39 PM

oh and 3500 for a turbo kit is insane, IMO, im building my b16 with a stroker kit and built head, cams and all im looking at about,3000 thats building the motor and the turbo kit (no tranny)...do more research
Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 AM

Holy ****...Homemadeturbo.com &gt;j00
If you drop 3500 on just a motor swap because you think a turbo kit is the same price...you need to do more research.
A very well put together turbo kit can cost as litttle as $800 ( and thats some rather quality parts) If you want shitty parts just to be boosted then it could cost as little as $200-$300.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16Booger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> But now that you all are into it, what do you think of the transmission withholding the numbers when it is an automatic. Please no flaming because dont really care what other people say bout them. Just curious if it can withhold the torque from the SC or the HP from the TC. Just curious if anyone has heard of other stories.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a turbo kit (Drag Gen. II kit running 7psi) on my last civic that was automatic, and i had problems with the valve body springs and torque converter from the additional power the car was seeing.....in the end i converted the car to manual.......then it got stolen

so from my experience, i would not recommend going FI on a stock auto tranny.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:37 AM

I have been building d series motors for awhile. I have boosted them and built them for n/a. If you are going to boost you need to install arp rodbolts. Factory d-series rodbolts are weak. Also if your motor has high milage your going to want to look into pistons. Just for ***** i boosted a d-16 a6 (100k+ miles), someone bet me i couldnt get good numbers out of a d-series. It was fine at low levels. Of corse low levels dont make a ton of power. At 12 psi the boost devowered the ring lans in about 400 miles, resulting in a blown up motor. I did more than just slap a turbo on it as well. I had 34 lbs injectors, a 190 pump, msd 6al, adj fpr,full 2 1/2 in exhaust. Also if this car is your only means of transport think practically. If its your only car and you blow it up, then how do you get around? Hondas are n/a for a reason. If you want a boost car buy a boost car. As i mentioned above i have built a pile of d-series motors and im getting ready to do my first swap. I have an EJ8, it has a y8 in it just like you. It all sounds good when your thinking about doing something with the d-series, but remember if the d-series was where it was at Honda would never have created another plateform. I love my d-series motor but the real potential for reliability and power is in the swap. My good friend has 10k into an h23 prelude turbo, its fast as hell, but on the street my other friends swapped(b16a2) hatch pulld him by a car length. Do more reaserch. Sorry for the rant, but i just want to help you save time and money and mostly a headache
Old 04-10-2006, 11:38 PM

Wow I really appreciate all the comments, I didnt think I was going to get that much response. With my facination of turbos, I would just like to win the race. And if it means dropping a b or H series thats what I would like to do. So talk to me about say an 22a1 what are we looking at besides the price of ecu/motor/tranny. What type of things am I also looking at? Axels? Of course the engine mounts, this has been done so many times you cant count so I know you all have heard of the requirements. It seems the engines are quite easy to come across now adays. And with as much as I love the b16 I think I would either go b18c1/c5 or the h22a1. And if I did that I think I would stay NA. Because like I said before I dont want insanse numbers. Two goals I would like to see would be around 200 whp. And or into the mid 14's. Which with a swap of a h22 I imagine is easy as hell with the 1/4 times. I had a budy with a h22a1 with H/I/E and he ran a 13.9 on street tires, but he can drive quite well. So sorry to get off track, but what else would I need if I swaped say an h22a1?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 AM

What are the differences and difficulties from a gsr compared to a h22a1
Old 04-11-2006, 05:57 PM

97 or newer b16b jdm swap DO IT!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Jackson Racing y8 (d16Booger)

either go all motor or turbo man, the cars with the best times are turbocharged* but all motor is best:D
Old 04-11-2006, 07:06 PM

EJ8-y8- Like I said on a budget correct me if I am wrong a b16b is a civic type r engine. Sorry I just dont see that being in my budget range.

b16a2_v-tech I know this, but I am not looking for the "best" times I would just like to see mid 14's, and still be internally safe.

Quick Reply: Jackson Racing y8