Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

j.c.whitney exhaust cutout, test pipe on cx w/ d16

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default j.c.whitney exhaust cutout, test pipe on cx w/ d16

i'm just about to drop a mildy worked over d16z6 into a 94 cx w/ stock exhaust, i dont want an atention getting muffler or sound, j.c.whitney makes this sweet cable operated 2.25 inch exhaust cut out http://www.jcwhitney.com/webap...10101 for 40 bucks i think its a steel, strait header when i want it stock quiet when i want it, first ? should i mount it before or after cat, second i'm thinking of replacing the cat w/ test pipe cause texas doesn't have emissions thank god,but will that make the stock cx exhuast loud? third what do you guys think good or bad idea.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for it. put on a test pipe or "high flow cat" and mount the valve rigth after that. open exhaust is rad.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

if they made a 3 inch one, id buy it right now

exhaust is fun, but sometimes its really annoying. i like stock quiet, but its robbing my power =/
Old 06-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (duh blacksheep)

i'd just get a pacesetter exhaust. i love mine and i'm running a turbo. i also hear that there is a 2.5" version. the exhaust is real sleeper to.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: (FMIDRC Racer)

pace setter sucks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go for it. put on a test pipe or "high flow cat" and mount the valve rigth after that. open exhaust is rad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

any reason for after the cat(or test pipe)instead of before
Old 06-13-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (4g4drb17)

emissions
Old 06-13-2004, 03:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g4drb17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pace setter sucks

any reason for after the cat(or test pipe)instead of before</TD></TR></TABLE>

depending if you like trees or not. also depends on your location. if there are no strict emissions laws in tx like there are in california, (i.e. costly fines, jail time)
Old 06-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: j.c.whitney exhaust cutout, test pipe on cx w/ d16 (4g4drb17)

i'd go with an electric cutout.i have one on my car,and am very happy with it.
the piece you have pictured is cast iron.i've heard quite a few musclecar guys that aren't happy with them-they don't seem to seal very well,and the diameter is limited to 2.25".
i have mine coming right off the downpipe flange with a 3" turndown,but on an NA car,you could have it Y off anywhere after the header collector.
you can see it in this pic(sorry i don't have a closer pic,and sorry for the big size):

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd just get a pacesetter exhaust. i love mine and i'm running a turbo. i also hear that there is a 2.5" version. the exhaust is real sleeper to. .</TD></TR></TABLE>
what's sleeper about a 4" polished tip with a yellow pinstripe around it?
i put a Pacesetter exhaust on my beater hatch for a cheap solution after the stock exhaust fell off after 300k miles.within six months the muffler fell off the Pacesetter.worst quality i've ever seen from an aftermarket exhaust(and this isn't the only one i've seen it happen to).i've never seen a 2.5" alternate application for any of the Pacesetter exhausts.
i have 2.5" mandrel bent piping on my coupe,with a straight thru muffler and no cat.even with that setup,there is a HUGE gain by opening up the cutout-you may want to consider something of this nature because i'm sure your 2.25" exhaust is hiding some power on your turbo car.
Chris

Old 06-13-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: (all stock)

ok we have no emissions laws, our cars are not smogged at all, i mean why would you mount it after the cat from a performance standpoint

all so will the test pipe make my stock exhaust louder

and my plans are n/a so i think 2.25 will be fine right?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:27 AM

i really want an answer on test pipe with stock exhaust, will it make it loud?

BTW i dont want it loud thats why i'm asking
Old 06-14-2004, 04:04 AM

bump
Old 06-14-2004, 06:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

no, it will not make it much louder at all. Second, to the person that said get a pacesetter.. die.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:42 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (DewMota)

Damn....little stock *** radiator on that b-series turbo setup owns
Old 06-14-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (dohcVTEChatch)

what i think is funny is he has a turbo and pacesetter exhaust, yet he didn't fix the rust and its in the shop
Old 06-14-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: (FMIDRC Racer)

nice tow hitch...
Old 06-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dohcVTEChatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTEChatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn....little stock *** radiator on that b-series turbo setup owns </TD></TR></TABLE>
it's actually a dual core unit.works just fine-has for five years now.no need for all aluminum $400 bling yet.
Chris
Old 06-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Removing your cat will make no difference in the loudness of your exhaust as long as you still have the resonator in. If you are going to put in a cutout it doesn't really matter if you put in a test pipe or not. If you are going to run it hard you just open the cutout and it bypasses everything.....
Old 06-14-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (fishnfst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishnfst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Removing your cat will make no difference in the loudness of your exhaust as long as you still have the resonator in. If you are going to put in a cutout it doesn't really matter if you put in a test pipe or not. If you are going to run it hard you just open the cutout and it bypasses everything.....</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanx for the input
Old 06-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g4drb17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thanx for the input</TD></TR></TABLE>
forgot to answer your question in my above post.
after the muffler fell off the Pacesetter exhaust on my hatch,for a while i ran a friend's stock CX exhaust.since the CX has the cat in the exhaust manifold,on my DX(which has the cat after the manifold),the exhaust would bolt right to the manifold,with no cat.in this form,the car was just as quiet as any other stock honda i've heard.
Chris
Old 06-14-2004, 03:17 PM

Removing your cat will make no difference in the loudness of your exhaust as long as you still have the resonator in. If you are going to put in a cutout it doesn't really matter if you put in a test pipe or not. If you are going to run it hard you just open the cutout and it bypasses everything.....

wouldnt this only be the case if the cutout went before the cat?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (duh blacksheep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duh blacksheep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if they made a 3 inch one, id buy it right now

exhaust is fun, but sometimes its really annoying. i like stock quiet, but its robbing my power =/</TD></TR></TABLE>
here ya go:
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
all the way up to 4"!
i have a 2.25" on my car.i figure it really isn't a big deal considering it's attached to a piece of piping about 6" long-a 2.25" diameter exhaust can't be too restrictive when it's only that long,especially considering that the whole 2.5" full exhaust is still open also fro an alternate path
Chris
Old 06-14-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
forgot to answer your question in my above post.
after the muffler fell off the Pacesetter exhaust on my hatch,for a while i ran a friend's stock CX exhaust.since the CX has the cat in the exhaust manifold,on my DX(which has the cat after the manifold),the exhaust would bolt right to the manifold,with no cat.in this form,the car was just as quiet as any other stock honda i've heard.
Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanx i appreciate it

that electric one is sweet but it costs 4 and a half times more or i'd get it
Old 06-14-2004, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the QTEC unit looks like a quality piece but a bit pricey.

i'm going to give the cast iron piece a try, and if it leaks i'll go QTEC.

to answer your question, run a cat!. i'm running catless through stock muffler and pipe, there's a buzz from 3k-3.5k rpm, its annoying.

chris
Old 06-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (c17r15)

i got a 96 GSR Boosted with a T3/T4...2.5" Downpipe going to a 2.5 flared to 3" Test pipe hooked up to a Custom 3" Exhaust going out of a HKS CF/Ti Mufler

My boy just put on his E-Cutout on today and DAMN Straight ******* Nasty. You can feel the differnce and he had a Celica GTS...

I guess question is, would it be worth it since im already running a 3" Exhaust..If u were to slap one on, where would i mount it...Pass the Testpipe or Before. Not much room before since the OIL Pan then flares to Testpipe with Flex Pipe...Hmmmmm....Anyone?
Old 06-19-2004, 07:19 AM

the reason i said to mount it after the test pipe is simple. Its easier to cut and weld exhaust tahn it is to cut and weld your header. the test pipe should also bolt right onto the header, so there is no reason to cut the flange off just so you can weld it further back in the exhaust. run your test pipe right off of your header, then directly afterwards, cut your exhaust piping and have the dump located there. Its a test pipe, it doesnt matter (from a performance standpoint) if the cutout is located before or after it, it doesnt provide any restriction, its just a convience thing.

and also, a test pipe will make the stock exhaust *slightly* louder, simply because the stock cat is a restriction to the airflow, and restrictions quiet exhaust. It should be nothing to worry about though.

Quick Reply: j.c.whitney exhaust cutout, test pipe on cx w/ d16