Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i've replaced my wheel studs....now this happens

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i've replaced my wheel studs....now this happens

<U>NEW POST</U>WHAT THE [freak]. I INSTALLED THE VSS THINKING IT WAS THE CAUSE. My speeedo was working for about 5 minutes. I got onto the freeway punched the gas and out of the blue the speedo died and within minutes the check engine light came on again. No corrosion on any of the plugs, I have even greased it. checked alternator fuse and it's not blown. What could it be?
<U>EDIT POST</U>

Fellow members helped me out and said the cause was the VSS. Also, It had nothing to do with me replacing the wheel studs, just a coincidence that when I did change it, my VSS decided to die out. Member (JUN.) sold me a VSS and shipped it out already so hopefully I can install that so my mileage can again to accumulate. On another note for others that do have this problem, make sure you check the wires that connect to the VSS for corrosion or fuse 15 which is the alternator fuse. But if it is your VSS, use 10mm to remove that one bolt that holds the VSS to the tranny. Not the 2 bolts on the side that are similar but that one thats off by itself. Pictures are on page 2.

<U>ORIGINAL POST BEFORE I FOUND THE CAUSE</U>I was in a rush to work, threw on some 12x1.25 on my wheel studs and totally stripped them all. i've replaced it. bang the hell out of it. took time effort and what not..........the problem occurs

my speedometer is wacko! one minute i'm driving 45mph then out of no where it hits 110mph. hahahhah i did some research i've come to a conclusion...i was thinking it was the wheel bearing? i'm not sure what do you guys think it could be? i mean on the rotor and wheel hub itself i was banging the hell out of it to get the wheel studs out and i'm pretty sure i've missed the wheel studs a couple of times and banged onto the wheel hub...

so what do u guys think happened? hmm

Modified by wtfitzphat at 5:40 PM 3/28/2008

Modified by wtfitzphat at 5:40 PM 3/28/2008

Modified by wtfitzphat at 5:41 PM 3/28/2008

Modified by wtfitzphat at 3:49 PM 4/2/2008
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i've replaced my wheel studs....now this happens (wtfitzphat)

sounds like the vibrations got to the vss check to see if its loose could also be a wire going to the cluster itself hope that helps
Old 03-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the VSS isnt in the hub so that shouldnt have made any problems banging on it.
The Vss is on top of the tranny its mount is triangle shaped and has 3 screws that hold it into place.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Default Re: i've replaced my wheel studs....now this happens (B00M3R)

oh so should i adjust it or replace it? dang thanks for the help guys! so u guys are sure right
Old 03-17-2008, 01:11 PM

the vss.......do you other guys agree it's the problem?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, you somehow think a wheel bearing has something to do with your speedometer.

only in california.

do you know what a wheel bearing is? seriously?

search VSS, and possibly get a manual for your car.....
Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know what a wheel bearing is? seriously?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahaha.. man this post made my night! good stuff sir
Old 03-17-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Re: (instrument)

yea thats what i thought. yea you can say it.....i can see its about to roll off your tongue "noob"

yes only in california. sorry if i'm not mechanically inclined as you. yes i did search vss. thanks for your help. *sarcasm*

thanks to the other guys that helped me and did not criticize my knowledge.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People are such ******** on here what a fu kin whorebag. Where do u live in nc so I can come smack the taste outta ur mouth
Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Sr420Det)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sr420Det &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">People are such ******** on here what a fu kin whorebag. Where do u live in nc so I can come smack the taste outta ur mouth</TD></TR></TABLE>

he is an ******* but making idle threats on the internet only makes you look just as stupid.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I edited that in when I realized he was from NC.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sr420Det &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I edited that in when I realized he was from NC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you arent listening.

saying your gonna beat him up makes you look just as stupid

Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know as good as I do that nothing will happen so why r u badgering me about it. By the way what was your original motor in the 240?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stay on topic guys

OP, how is the electrical working in your car? My alternator wasn't recharging my battery right and my lights went out in my dash. It could cause false readings by the VSS as well. If its the VSS, you should get a CEL.

What is your car and does it have VTEC? VTEC won't engage if the VSS is not working properly.

If you only hit on the studs and not the axle, you cannot have damaged the VSS.

Hope I helped and hope you get this sorted out
Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sr420Det &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You know as good as I do that nothing will happen so why r u badgering me about it. By the way what was your original motor in the 240?</TD></TR></TABLE>

a KA, just like every other 240sx.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Re: (Kamin)

thanks for all the replies and help

so I have read around about the VSS and it seems some people fixed the problem by removing it and re-installing it. Some say check the alternator fuse as well as the wires that connect to the cluster because of dirty buildup? I have been driving slow trying to conserve gas but i'll hit vtec and see if it engages.

thanks for all the input. please share any other information that was not posted.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wtfitzphat)

your cluster could be on its way out and it is purely coincidental that it happened at the same time that you replaced your wheel bearings. the jumping speedometer was my first symptom of my cluster taking a ****.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
* B A N N E D *

well I replaced all 4 sides of my wheel studs to extended studs.. did the work myself at home and took out the hub and then banged out the old studs and banged in the new studs... i made sure not to hit the wheel bearings and made sure everything was good before putting it back on... nothings wrong wit my speedometer so I dont know.. could be something else
Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (92slowcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92slowcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your cluster could be on its way out and it is purely coincidental that it happened at the same time that you replaced your wheel bearings. the jumping speedometer was my first symptom of my cluster taking a ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the thing is i had an si cluster. got rid of it now i'm with an ex cluster...and does the same thing. and yes VTEC does engage....at times the speedo would say 0 then it would say the correct mph then out of no where hit an extra 50mph then back to 0 and so fourth. so i'm assuming it's the wire connection or the dirty buildup as some would say here on honda-tech. i shall check and let u guys posted.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (EG2Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG2Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If its the VSS, you should get a CEL.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not always. On my Eh2, the VSS connector got corroded and was sending an intermitent (spelling?) signal or no signal off and on for a couple days and did not set off a CEL. And yes the CEL bulb was not burnt out.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wtfitzphat)

I had this happen to my car and I had to cut and splice the connector back on to the VSS, fixed the problem for me.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Re: (B00M3R)

see the weird thing is i hit vtec and out of the blue the speedo worked fine and the check engine light was NOT on. today i decided to engage vtec just for the fun of it and as soon as i went up to 5,500-6000rpm, i did not feel the vtec and the speedo went crazy again and check engine light came on. now i turned the car off, turned it back on and the check engine light came on after several minutes of driving it. speedo is now dead again but the rpm still works like usual. at stops and lights the rpm would idle from 1100-1600rpm back and forth like a swing.

seems like corroded wires or broken vss? what are the ways to check it? does anyone know thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i've replaced my wheel studs....now this happens (B00M3R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B00M3R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah the VSS isnt in the hub so that shouldnt have made any problems banging on it.
The Vss is on top of the tranny its mount is triangle shaped and has 1 bolt that hold it into place. </TD></TR></TABLE>

fixed that for ya...
Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: i've replaced my wheel studs....now this happens (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

fixed that for ya...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just went and looked at mine to be sure and it has 3 bolts that hold it onto the tranny and 3 screws that hold the top half of the VSS to the bottom half.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i've replaced my wheel studs....now this happens (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I just went and looked at mine to be sure and it has 3 bolts that hold it onto the tranny and 3 screws that hold the top half of the VSS to the bottom half. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, u mind postin some pics of ur one of a kind VSS than..?? id like to see a VSS with 6 retaining bolts...

Quick Reply: i've replaced my wheel studs....now this happens