Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Issues with a 100% stock 97 Civic EX (Running super rich) No CELs

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with a 100% stock 97 Civic EX (Running super rich) No CELs

Having issues with my bone stock 97 Civic EX 2dr 5-speed. I do not have a single CEL.

Ok here we go:
The car is completely stock, not a single upgrade other than the silencer box removed from the intake. I did a full rebuild on the engine 2 years ago with all OEM Honda parts. Pretty much EVERYTHING you can do with the motor in the car. (Rod bearings, valve seals, head cleaned, valve adjustment, piston rings...the works). After recently solving a running lean issue due to one injector not working properly I was able to get it running correctly. Two days later I am running so rich all cylinders run like crap. The plugs are brand new, and they are pitch black from so much fuel. I have spark, I have compression (210 on all 4 cylinders...kinda high but they are consistant), I have fuel, and I have air. The problem is to much fuel.

What Ive tried/done:
-I swapped out the fuel pressure regulator (DX model) and the fuel injectors (240cc).
-I swapped out the distributor for a known working one.
-I installed a fuel pressure gauge and right now Im getting a little more than what Im supposed to be getting. The Honda manual says Im supposed to be getting 38-46 with the vacuum line unattached. Im getting 42-48 with it unattached. I think the FPR I have is off of a DX/CX model. But either way, the small amount shouldnt really flood my engine like its doing now.
-I found 2 fuses that were blown so I replaced them (they didnt go out right away).
-I unattached the battery to reset the ECU.
-I unplugged and reconnected every sensor on the engine.
-I unplugged and tried to run the car with the VTEC and vtec oil pressure sensors connected (thinking that maybe VTEC is stuck on).
-I swapped out the MAP sensor for the one off of my S2000
-I tried connecting the 2-wire connector by the ECU so the check engine light would flash a code. Nothing came up, and strangly the check engine light would stay one while I had the circuit bridged, once I un connected the circuit it would go off.
-I removed the primary O2 sensor in hopes that maybe the catalytic converter was clogged, but its working properly.

My latest Idea is to swap out the ECU with another one, which Ill hopefully be getting the next day or so. Perhaps its time to bring out the Fluke meter and start to read voltages.

At this time the only thing I can think of is that my fuel lines are somehow messed up/kinked and is causing some type of blockage on the fuel return(but again I dotn think the small amount of PSI im getting is enough to choke the motor out. The car has 188k and the fuel lines are very rusty, pretty much ready to break (I had to replace the brake lines last fall because of rust)

Any ideas honda crowd?