Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Issue with Rear Drum - 93 Civic CX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issue with Rear Drum - 93 Civic CX

I barely bought this car about a week or two ago, it had a bad wheel bearing on the rear right side wheel. Decided to do a DIY thing and try to replace it. Bought a new hub w/ bearing from Autozone and did the replacement.

I had some trouble with taking the drum off though.. After some hammering, flatheads to pry and such, it came off. Now, when I put the thing back on, I thought everything was solid. Went for a drive and now when I'm rolling slowly or coming to a stop, you can hear a clunking sound coming from the wheel I was messing with.

So I checked to see if the wheel was loose, but no, it was tight on there. Lugs were on fine. However, when I lift it up on a jack, there's some play if you grab onto the wheel and try to see if it's loose or not. Then I checked the drum and yup, there's definitely play on there.

The wheel nut on there is tight, lugs are tight, the shoe pads aren't rubbing against the drum as it spins.. So I'm guessing I may have damaged the drum somehow during the time I was trying to pull it out?

I've got my money on it being a damaged/warped drum, but would like a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.. opinion on this. As I've never messed with drum brakes before and need all the info I could get. I plan on heading out to Autozone later today and buying a new drum, then see how that one will do.

- Oh and I did swap wheels to see if it was the wheel, same issue. Any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Issue with Rear Drum - 93 Civic CX

Verify that you reinstalled the brakes correctly.

Also, did you clean and grease the clevises to ensure that the brakes self adjust properly?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Sup RonTrac1.

Well, I followed a YouTube video. The only time I touched the brake was when I loosened up the e-brake so that the drum would come off. But that thing was still stuck. :'(

Didn't touch anything else besides that. Thinking about taking it to a small brake shop or something and having them see what's going on.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove the brakes. Then clean and grease the clevises. It's relatively straightforward. You should not need a shop if you replaced the hub bearing.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks Ron, I'll try it after work. Will let you know the results, thanks for the swift reply. <3
Old 02-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lasty K
Thanks Ron, I'll try it after work. Will let you know the results, thanks for the swift reply. <3
If you have any questions about reinstalling the brakes, post them up.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap the rear drums (left to right, etc) to see if the drum is bad.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lasty K
I barely bought this car about a week or two ago, it had a bad wheel bearing on the rear right side wheel. Decided to do a DIY thing and try to replace it. Bought a new hub w/ bearing from Autozone and did the replacement.

I had some trouble with taking the drum off though.. After some hammering, flatheads to pry and such, it came off. Now, when I put the thing back on, I thought everything was solid. Went for a drive and now when I'm rolling slowly or coming to a stop, you can hear a clunking sound coming from the wheel I was messing with.

So I checked to see if the wheel was loose, but no, it was tight on there. Lugs were on fine. However, when I lift it up on a jack, there's some play if you grab onto the wheel and try to see if it's loose or not. Then I checked the drum and yup, there's definitely play on there.

The wheel nut on there is tight, lugs are tight, the shoe pads aren't rubbing against the drum as it spins.. So I'm guessing I may have damaged the drum somehow during the time I was trying to pull it out?

I've got my money on it being a damaged/warped drum, but would like a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.. opinion on this. As I've never messed with drum brakes before and need all the info I could get. I plan on heading out to Autozone later today and buying a new drum, then see how that one will do.

- Oh and I did swap wheels to see if it was the wheel, same issue. Any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.
Fire.

Kill it with fire.

Big big fiya!!!!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Cleaned the insides with some brake cleaner spray, re-adjusted the clevises.. also went ahead and had the drum resurfaced at a shop. Installed back and no noise. I'm a happy camper right now.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member