Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

interesting situation with my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interesting situation with my car

I figure I might as well get this process started and get grilled for being a "noob"...ive been waiting for a LONG time because some of you guys do backflips on people...so here we go...

Im posting pics...I cant put little arrows to be specific because im on a mac and I dont know how on here lol...so bare with me.

Okay I have a 94 civic (b18a swap)... basically the last few days (maybe since..eh monday)...I noticed a weird kinda...rattling sound coming from the right side of the engine bay (if I were sitting in the drivers seat) and it was not "normal" [quote the normal because pretty much everything is stripped from the bay and makes noise as is ] The noise usually happens in 1st around 3k...2nd...3k...3rd...4k...however if i accelerate I sometimes dont hear it and it seems to only happen when in gear...

ENGINE BAY:

PART WHERE I THINK I HEAR THE PROBLEM:

I looked inside and did not notice anything out of the norm...my friend and I installed some kaixens a few days ago but this was not making any vib noise after the install so I ruled this out...I plan on going to my mechanic and seeing if he has any ideas about it, but I just wanted to maybe get some opinions from those who know WAAAY more about this than I do...just looking for a few ideas and maybe a little direction...im learning though...

Thanks Folks...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: interesting situation with my car (blackbox)

how is that box thing mounted near the shock tower. Also, is your intake laying on the frame up in the front. Likely just a vibration if your only hearing it at certain pionts. I'd look for anything that could vibrate and start there.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Re: interesting situation with my car (coneheadsracing)

is it a like a engine bay shake or like your steering area, because it can very well be your inner tie rod ends or going bad on your rack and pinion had similar situations except i have the b16 but only difference. check that. because u to actually lift your car and wiggle your rim to see if i wiggles at the rack.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:41 AM

Default Re: interesting situation with my car (coneheadsracing)

the box, the ballast for the HID's is mounted with zip ties and double backed tape and the zip ties are going through the frame...they are pretty darned sturdy and though the intake is a little on the frame, that was a sound I was used to and it wasnt major...this sounds...sounds like something...obnoxious. I will re-check those areas though.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: interesting situation with my car (blackbox)

yeah i was going to say check your ballast and intake. also check your mounts on that side.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Re: interesting situation with my car (senmex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by senmex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it a like a engine bay shake or like your steering area, because it can very well be your inner tie rod ends or going bad on your rack and pinion had similar situations except i have the b16 but only difference. check that. because u to actually lift your car and wiggle your rim to see if i wiggles at the rack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well im going to print this out and ill see what the mechanic says. I really appreciate it folks.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM

So I went there and my mechanic tested it out. He says its definitely an engine issue...he also noted that though I just got my oil change, that there was a small shaving of metal on the dip stick....he says its probably a head or shaft that is acting up...I told him I was thinking about doing a rebuild and doing all cramer internals...however, he thinks I should just get another engine and dont go past 3k...man...I cant get that far fast enough on 3k...

...back to the drawing board
Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mechanic sounds like a dork. "get a new engine and don't go past 3k"?? What a waste. I'd pull the head off and get to checking some things out. Go ahead and build it and go from there.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99_hb_on_air)

Wouldn't it be funny if it were just a heat shield rattling on the exhaust...
Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (saywhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't it be funny if it were just a heat shield rattling on the exhaust...</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i had the same problem, ended up being a broken exhaust braket, 20 bucks to fix it

where did you take your car?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (01_CLtypeS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01_CLtypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha i had the same problem, ended up being a broken exhaust braket, 20 bucks to fix it

where did you take your car? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I went to my family mechanic. Ive been trying to run into other people in my area that are tuner heads but they seem so few and far between!

I promised myself if I was at home and I heard someone with a riced out exhaust tip id hunt them down real quick and ask them some questions haha.

But at 3k??? Man I cant even catch a possum...

I know I can go to some shop in the los angeles area...but I dont want to drive all the way down there with the car sounding like it does...its freakin crazy.

My friend said he would help me check it out but I dont want to wait till monday lol...guess I have no choice
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I went to my family mechanic. Ive been trying to run into other people in my area that are tuner heads but they seem so few and far between!

I promised myself if I was at home and I heard someone with a riced out exhaust tip id hunt them down real quick and ask them some questions haha.

But at 3k??? Man I cant even catch a possum...

I know I can go to some shop in the los angeles area...but I dont want to drive all the way down there with the car sounding like it does...its freakin crazy.

My friend said he would help me check it out but I dont want to wait till monday lol...guess I have no choice </TD></TR></TABLE>

well i only live a city down the 101 from you

you can try mario at Mekaniks Plus its located in Oxnard on wooley and pacific
he dose very good work!

give him a call

Mario
(805) 487-8559
Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Re: (01_CLtypeS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01_CLtypeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well i only live a city down the 101 from you

you can try mario at Mekaniks Plus its located in Oxnard on wooley and pacific
he dose very good work!

give him a call

Mario
(805) 487-8559</TD></TR></TABLE>

frek...I man....check out the FRIGGIN aftermath from today...

yea...its COMPLETELY shot now. Im gonna be rolling with a b20 for now. Should be up by next week. Maybe ill roll by and see what options your guy has for turbo setups...

FREAKIN pissed.