Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

intake resonator (yes i have searched)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake resonator (yes i have searched)

i drive a 99 bone stock civic EX (d16y8 motor)

if i am correct, the resonator is that long rectangular box that sits on top of the intake tubing right before the throttle body.

pictures provided to clarify my description (boxed in red):
http://img112.imageshack.us/my...z.png
http://img112.imageshack.us/my...s.png

if i am not correct, plz tell me what the resonator is? but I'm pretty sure thats it.

anyways i pulled it off to notice this open hole. now im here on h-t to ask what have you guys, who have removed this resonator on this engine, used to patch the hole? and on searches i have read there are losses in low-end to mid power? or maybe that was for another engine. I'm just experimenting with my car a lil bit. I'll probably buy a k&n drop-in if I can manage to somehow patch the hole so my engine doesn't get screwed over.

and for those of you who are wondering, yes I'm just looking for the louder sound until I get a CAI

any info appreciated. thx h-t
Old 07-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: intake resonator (amej8)

The resonator is behind the front bumper on the pass side under the air filter. It's a big white box.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intake resonator (dwnthehatch)

jacked up car, but don't see one....? all i saw was my intake tubing that goes down and back up to the top. poked my head into the bumper and saw nothing but space. is it hidden somewhere within the tubing area?

again this is a 1999 civic EX. are you talking about civics before 95 and below?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Re: intake resonator (dwnthehatch)

The thing you boxed in red is just an air pipe. The thing that connects to is the air box, below the air box is your resonator.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intake resonator (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thing you boxed in red is just an air pipe. The thing that connects to is the air box, below the air box is your resonator.</TD></TR></TABLE>

aka the long *** 3-4 foot u-shaped tube that goes down and back up?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Re: intake resonator (amej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aka the long *** 3-4 foot u-shaped tube that goes down and back up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be part of it. There should also be a big assed box below your air-filter box. Basically you can take out everything that is below your air filter box.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:18 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: intake resonator (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That would be part of it. There should also be a big assed box below your air-filter box. Basically you can take out everything that is below your air filter box.</TD></TR></TABLE> Whaterver you find of the resonator, throw away. All it does is limits how the air sounds going in to the intake tube.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intake resonator (HondaFanatic708)

To take out the resonator, take out the inner fender lining, take out two bolts and just pull it out
Old 07-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intake resonator (jdmdelsolb16)

What you boxed in red is a second resonator on the intake pipe.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

well I just spent an hour and I finally got the resonator out. tons of bolts and **** to play with but it was worth the experience. it isn't much louder but when I rev the engine I can hear the deep sound .

to honda-tech. thank you everyone for your help!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Re: (amej8)

Yeah the stock airbox has shitty flow anyway. No real sound changes expect that deep bellow. That little resonator box simply applied supplementary vibration to counteract the sound produced by the air moving up the intake by using the bounce of that sound when air wasn't traveling in to the combustion chamber. If you want just a little better sound without breaking the bank you could get a cheap intake off ebay or **** even craft your own out of 3" PVC. This is very ghetto but you gotta start somewhere I guess. Not anything I would do to my car but with the right elbows you could make your own cold air intake. **** use the 3" up top and adapt it to a 4" like the AEM V2... Glad you got the **** done though...
Old 07-01-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah the stock airbox has shitty flow anyway. No real sound changes expect that deep bellow. That little resonator box simply applied supplementary vibration to counteract the sound produced by the air moving up the intake by using the bounce of that sound when air wasn't traveling in to the combustion chamber. If you want just a little better sound without breaking the bank you could get a cheap intake off ebay or **** even craft your own out of 3" PVC. This is very ghetto but you gotta start somewhere I guess. Not anything I would do to my car but with the right elbows you could make your own cold air intake. **** use the 3" up top and adapt it to a 4" like the AEM V2... Glad you got the **** done though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could use PVC or you could also buy one of the cheap ones off of ebay. I think someone said they saw one for $15 w/ filter.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could use PVC or you could also buy one of the cheap ones off of ebay. I think someone said they saw one for $15 w/ filter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

couple problems with this idea: 1. filters are not reliable which leads to 2. i have like no money to spend for a k&n cone

PVC piping sounds like a pretty good idea tho . haha j/k...but yeah been driving around today a lot and there is definitely a huge sound difference. especially in the car. its only loud when im on the gas all the way. w00t now i can have like a m4d vt4k change over! haha. i let my friend drive it past me and it sounds real nice. prolly ricey once i pass people and they like "wtf? no exhaust system?" oh well. oh and i have noticed a decrease in low-mid power. i don't know how much power/torque my engine puts out but i can really tell when i try to get up there from a regular start.

it was well worth the experience, being a car noob i am. i love doing things on my own and learning from personal experience. and once again I thank honda-tech. i read so many posts everyday that are just completely ridiculous. honda-tech has way too many flamers and haters. i was actually surprised people helped me out on my post. but thx once again
Old 07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your butt dyno must be off
Old 07-02-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Re: (amej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i let my friend drive it past me and it sounds real nice. prolly ricey once i pass people and they like "wtf? no exhaust system?" oh well.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ricey is exactly what we're shooting for right, we drive ****** rice rockets. Someone was trying to tell me buying a Tanabe Ultra Medallion exhaust at roughly $900 was worthless because the part is ricey? Yeah ****** right, for one that exhaust is the **** and 2 we drive rice burners, why not do it proudly. And don't worry about the no exhaust. Before I threw a rod my 180whp B16 civic didn't have any aftermarket exhaust. Just the old stock ******* box. I know this highly restrictive exhaust is so limiting the potential of the motor but I just don't have the $ to get my Tanabe. **** opening up the flow should bring me to above 200 but we will never know exactly, building an LS/VTEC for her right now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it was well worth the experience, being a car noob i am. i love doing things on my own and learning from personal experience. and once again I thank honda-tech. i read so many posts everyday that are just completely ridiculous. honda-tech has way too many flamers and haters. i was actually surprised people helped me out on my post. but thx once again </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, there are a bunch of people who flame because that is the only way for them to convince themsleves they know **** about these cars. Now I do my fair share of flaming keep in mind, but when I do it I A. try to show the recipient of the flaming the light so the same thing doesn't happen again or B. I back it with techncal info why the statement was ****** stupid. Anyone that flames someone for trying to learn is a chode. Hey we all had to start somewhere right. Just don't start topics with titles like "HELP!! FAST!! BIG PROBLEM!" and **** and you should be all good. Welcome to H-T by the way.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ricey is exactly what we're shooting for right, we drive ****** rice rockets. Someone was trying to tell me buying a Tanabe Ultra Medallion exhaust at roughly $900 was worthless because the part is ricey? Yeah ****** right, for one that exhaust is the **** and 2 we drive rice burners, why not do it proudly. And don't worry about the no exhaust. Before I threw a rod my 180whp B16 civic didn't have any aftermarket exhaust. Just the old stock ******* box. I know this highly restrictive exhaust is so limiting the potential of the motor but I just don't have the $ to get my Tanabe. **** opening up the flow should bring me to above 200 but we will never know exactly, building an LS/VTEC for her right now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't pay $900 for an exhaust. I was actually saving up to get an N1, but ended up finding a used HKS superdragger on here for $100. Exhaust was in almost mint condition.

I like to buy used exterior parts on HT because new parts can get pricey. Granted I wouldn't buy used interior parts ie: cams, pistons, rods just because they can get really worn down over periods of use. And you also know that the car they came out on wasn't babied.

Only motor parts I've bought so far are injectors, a fuel pump, and an ECU.

Back to the thread creator. You say you wouldn't want to buy an ebay CAI because the filter would crap out. I was just saying you could use it w/ the filter it came with until you could afford another cone filter. If you make one out of PVC you still have to buy a filter.

But in the end it's all your preference and your money. Spend it how you want.

And btw, welcome to HT