Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator?

I'm looking at this article -->
http://www.geocities.com/Motor....html
and the K&N Typhoon install guide, they just both show CAI install guides.

I'm wondering if I'm going to increase cold air coming into the engine compartment if I remove the resonator.

Its a Civic 2000 EX , same airbox setup as the car in that article. It has the intake tube where the air box connects and another air inlet tube to the left of that. Seems it would be getting plenty of cold air like that. but I don't know.

Can I leave it just with just airbox removed ?
(like the 6th picture down on that page)
or do I need to remove the resonator?

thanks

sorry to have to post that article, I couldnt get the 6th picture down on that page to post on here.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator? (Honda.F1)

You will not need to remove the resonator with a SRI, but it's not hard to do, so you might as well get rid of the weight. And with a SRI, unless you make some kind of a heatshield or box it in (like the Comptech Icebox or some homemade versions people have on here), you'll always be sucking in hot air. Forgot ... there's also the option of routing ducting from the front bumper to the filter.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator? (Daniel)

You can leave it in if you really want to. It looks crappy though, to see the tube sticking up. Just take the extra 20 minutes and pull it out.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could always remove the headlight on track day get some nice cool air into the engine.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator?

thanks for the replies

I didn't know if leaving the intake tube and the inlet tube is going to provide much cold air to the filter. Sounds like I should plan on routing ducting from the front bumper to the filter to get the most cold air to the filter.

I just have to have Short Ram Intake because lots of puddles and such around here. I dont want to clean the filter every other week. So I'm figuring short ram intake with air from the outside routed to it should be OK and not sucking in hot air all the time.

If anyone could point me to a thread or a link about heatshields for intakes that would be great. esp the homemade ones. I can't find much helpful on it.

thanks all for helpin out a n00bie .
Old 05-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator? (Honda.F1)

I think you should install a K&N replacement filter and call it a day.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator? (SkyeC)

just buy an icebox
Old 05-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator? (Dj Villain)

I would love to get an icebox but will probably just get what I can afford, a K&N Typhoon, or something similar.

so would installing a K&N replacement filter and removing resonator be like some sort of ghetto icebox providing I rout the tubing the same way ?

Modified by Honda.F1 at 6:45 AM 5/3/2004
Old 05-02-2004, 04:45 PM

Get rid of the ugly resonator! I've got a SRI with no resonator and some air-conditioning ducting coming up from the front bumper, swwms to work well and you can pull your headlight out at the track. Only problem with the ducting is I've found it makes the engine bay really dirty, I'm always finding dead insects and stuff around the filter. I've made up a cardboard template for a heat sheild and I'm gonna get it made up out of carbon fibre or stainless, then I'll probably get ridof the ducting.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda.F1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so would installing a K&N replacement filter and removing resonator be like some sort of ghetto icebox providing I rout the tubing the same way ? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Pretty much and another idea for the "ghetto Icebox" is to replace the stock intake tubing with some type of smooth mandrel-bent tubing. You might find it from a $20 PepBoys intake. Then you'll essentially have a homemade DIY Comptech Icebox but with a K&N replacement filter. It should work similarly. And you can also cut apart the stock resonator and reposition parts of it to act as a ducting to the bottom of the OEM airbox. Use silicone couplers and some clamps to hold all the cut-up resonator piping tight. I was going to do that after I ditched my turbo but realized I sold my stock airbox. I decided to buy a CAI, instead.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing short ram intake. do I need to remove resonator?

cool, thanks for the replies all

I think I'm either going to install short ram with tubing aimed at it to provide some
outside air or remove resonator and put in K&N stock replacement filter.

Should I definitely install a heatsheild if I'm going to go with short ram ?

Either way I think I'm going to remove stock resonator and reposition parts of it to act as a ducting to the bottom of the OEM airbox or ducting aimed toward the short ram.

good point about "Only problem with the ducting is I've found it makes the engine bay really dirty, I'm always finding dead insects and stuff around the filter."
I'm thinking maybe intall mesh grill over intake duct to prevent big stuff from getting to replacement filter or engine bay.

thanks all

Modified by Honda.F1 at 8:28 AM 5/3/2004