Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installing Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Cruise Control

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1998 Honda Civic DX auto hatchback with 77k miles.

She's a real gem, but the one thing I'd really like to have is cruise control, and the car doesn't have it.

Is there a do it yourself way to install cruise control on this car?
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Installing Cruise Control

Find a junked '96 - '98 Civic with cruise to get the parts from. Biggest job is the wiring. You'll need the pedals, underdash harness, actuator, switches and possibly some other stuff i'm forgetting.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a pretty stright foward task i dont think you will need a diy as far as how to do it since hinda makes stuff easy. Its simply remove and replace. I just did it on my 96 dx coupe. I know I said coupe and you have a hatchback but I am pretty sure it's the same. Do your own double checking. I am just giving you a base to start. I couldn't really find solid info like this anywhere so here it is. Anyway, I got my parts from a wrecked ex. First of all 96-97 civics are essentially the same as far as wiring goes (depending on model of course.). Now 98 civics are kind of on their own. They have a lot of 96-97 DNA and a bit of 99-00 DNA. 99-00 are different but are similar. (don't get anything 99-00 unless you verify part numbers from your specific model).
I used a service manual and hondapartsnow.com for my research. Spent hours looking and reading. With that said you need the following:

1. Headlight harness. This one runs from shock tower to opposing shock tower. Connects headlights, washer fluid, horn, and most importantly the 4 pin cruise actuator, ect.. Now, 96-97 use a 2 pin horn connector. 98-00 use a single pin with a different horn relay as opposed to 96-98 civics with cruise. But don't get it from 99-00 civics they are a different animal. Just get it out of your specific year model if possible.

2. Dash harness. This one goes behind dash on inside firewall. Then out to under hood fuse/relay box on pass. side and to wiper motor and other connectors on driver side. (once again horn relay and connector are different. Unless you find a 98 civic ex or lx.) I don't know if you can just cut/splice a different horn relay connector and use a different relay and connector. You will have to find out. But with a wiring diagram you can finger it out. I didn't have to go to that extent as I found a 97 ex with everything. Do not get this from 99-00 there is major changes such as climate control and a random 02 sensor wiring. (unless you want to do the 99-00 climate control conversion. There is a write up on that I believe.)

3. Instrument cluster harness. When (and if..lol) you take out your dash this harness will be attached to the dashes metel framing. Get it from an ex or lx with cruise. This is where your main cruise switch is connected and that green light we desire on the instrument cluster when we are in cruise. Also connects to your radio. (so if you get stock radio from ex you can possibly have keyless entry if you do the power window and lock conversion too.)

4. Cruise actuator, cruise cable, vacuum bottle with bracket which also holds connectors, throttle cable and cruise cable stay bracket. Also vent/vacuum lines going to actuator the vacuum line should have little white check valve.

5. Cruise main switch (left side of steering wheel on dash), steering wheel cruise control switch with the little mounting plate with screws, steering wheel rear cover, srs clock spring or cable reel from ex or lx, pedal BRACKET and pedals (gas and brake), clutch switch theres two just have both and brake switch (dx has 2 pin and ex and lx with cruise have 4 pin).

6. Instrument cluster from ex. That way you can have tach to go with your cruise control light. A/T or M/T what ever you have.

7. Last but not least the control module. A/T or M/T which ever you have. Don't forget the mounting bracket too.

That should be it. It's a lot of work but it's really not that bad. Just remember where your screws go when you do dash work. I am hungry...

Last edited by vtctrbo123; 03-03-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I just read your post again. You have auto so get auto everything that needs to be. Especially dash I didn't mention that earlier. Have fun. Don't get anything with abs either unless you want abs too (if so. You are on your own.) or if you just want a bunch or orange connectors everywhere.