Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure...

Pretty much as stated above.. I jus got a brand new clutch an tranny like 3-4 months ago so I dont wanna believe its the clutch, but what would cause me to no have pressure now..??? Slave cylinder is fairly new also about same time as clutch an tranny swap..
Old 09-03-2006, 11:51 AM
H-T Poker champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (JDM_SOHC)

did you fill the system up with brake fluid? Did you flush it after the install?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

i filled up the new CMC resevior and when i applied pressure to the clutch it went right to the floor... here's picture of the old and the new... im guessing from the looks of it, i could have replaced it sometime soon anyway.. its off my stock engine that I swapped a while ago, which is 94 dx with 129K...
Name:  oldCMCandnewCMC.jpg
Views: 10340
Size:  22.6 KB
Old 09-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to bleed the whole clutch line
Old 09-03-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (qfast817)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qfast817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have to bleed the whole clutch line</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (hatchi)

thats opposite of brake bleeding right..??? i just read that on here in a past topic from like 2002...
Old 09-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by qfast817 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have to bleed the whole clutch line</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes indeed. It only takes a few minutes.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (BlackHXCoupe)

so i'd apply pressure to clutch pedal, unlock bleeder on slave, release pedal, tighten bleeder, again, again, again, again.. correct?? just making sure i have this down..
Old 09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup shouldnt take that long either make sure you dont loose fluid in the CMC resivior either
Old 09-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (EGG_y0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGG_y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup shouldnt take that long either make sure you dont loose fluid in the CMC resivior either </TD></TR></TABLE>

could this also be maybe my release bearing on my tranny??? just kinda weird that i'd have no clutch pedal pressure if it was something in tranny, but than again im not to sure... anyone know???
Old 09-03-2006, 11:43 PM

BLEED YOUR CLUTCH LINE!!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u get your clutch working yet... if not ... this is what u do .....
1) get a friend to help u
2) bottle of brake fluid
3) roll of teflon tape( the white stuff)
4) CLEAR tubing, so u can see air
5) go to the market, and buy a cheap thing of yogart... like 50 cents or something u need it for the container
6) 8mm wrench

so this is what u do, eat the yogart, and wash it out... u need the container. Take off the nipple on your slave cylinder, wrap it with teflon tape put it back on. put a little amount of brake fluid in the yogart cup, and top off clutch fluid. put the wrench over the nipple, and slip the hose over the nipple, put the other end of the hose into the your yogart cup with brake fluid. have your friend pump the pedle by hand a few times and hold it down ( like bleading brakes). While he/she holds it down, crack the slave cylinder nipple a hair so some fluid goes into the hose. close it and repeat pumping, hold crack, tighten. repeat pumping, hold, crack, tighten. do this till some fluid enters the yogart container. Once this happens,top off the fluid, crack open the nipple and have your friend start pumping( yes with the nipple cracked slightly open) (NOTE: having the hose in some fluid i the container creats a seal and doesn;t allow the system to suck in more air.)..... have your friend do this until there is no more bubbles coming out of the nipple into the hose (keep an eye on the fluid level in the resivor). Then tighten the nipple. Your cluch is now bled.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (cueballsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cueballsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u get your clutch working yet... if not ... this is what u do .....
1) get a friend to help u
2) bottle of brake fluid
3) roll of teflon tape( the white stuff)
4) CLEAR tubing, so u can see air
5) go to the market, and buy a cheap thing of yogart... like 50 cents or something u need it for the container
6) 8mm wrench

so this is what u do, eat the yogart, and wash it out... u need the container. Take off the nipple on your slave cylinder, wrap it with teflon tape put it back on. put a little amount of brake fluid in the yogart cup, and top off clutch fluid. put the wrench over the nipple, and slip the hose over the nipple, put the other end of the hose into the your yogart cup with brake fluid. have your friend pump the pedle by hand a few times and hold it down ( like bleading brakes). While he/she holds it down, crack the slave cylinder nipple a hair so some fluid goes into the hose. close it and repeat pumping, hold crack, tighten. repeat pumping, hold, crack, tighten. do this till some fluid enters the yogart container. Once this happens,top off the fluid, crack open the nipple and have your friend start pumping( yes with the nipple cracked slightly open) (NOTE: having the hose in some fluid i the container creats a seal and doesn;t allow the system to suck in more air.)..... have your friend do this until there is no more bubbles coming out of the nipple into the hose (keep an eye on the fluid level in the resivor). Then tighten the nipple. Your cluch is now bled.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sweet thanks dude... i dont have all that but i do have somethings that will have to suffice.. "white pvc tape, small bowl, lawnmower clear gas line, and a friend ;-)" lol...
Old 09-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i got pressure back, an i got car to go into gear, but as i eased off the clutch an onto the gas my car went absolutely nowhere.. it moved like barely barely anywhere at all with my foot completely off the clutch an other foot slightly on gas..... before my car wouldnt even go into gear but now it goes into every gear perfectly just doesnt move.... what does it look like im dealing with now..???

::edit::

I didnt mess with my axles or anything like that and there is NO grinding noise coming from anywhere, I can literally shift through all 5 gears with car on an it just does not go anywhere... No noises, no smoking, no nothing... Just rev's pretty much an will not move even with foot completely off the clutch.. Doesnt stall either.. Worked fine for like 2 shifts after I put everything together than all of a sudden just blam, nothing..

Modified by JDM_SOHC at 10:27 AM 9/4/2006
Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you bleed the clutch line did u have you or your friend see if the slave was pushing the fork in and out??
Old 09-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGG_y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you bleed the clutch line did u have you or your friend see if the slave was pushing the fork in and out?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah the fork is going in an out... an if it was my pressure plate then the car wouldnt even go into gear right..??
Old 09-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it was the CMC the car would feel like it needs a clutch. And it wouldn't go into gear. Maybe this will help, also when your bleeding the clutch take a whole bottle of Honda brake fluid and turn it upside down into the reservoir that what when your bleeding the fluid doesn't run out and you end with more air than when you started. Don't worry the bottle will seal itself with the reservoir

Modified by ht834 at 11:48 AM 9/4/2006
Old 09-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (ht834)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ht834 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it was the CMC the car would feel like it needs a clutch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i just put new CMC an Slave Cylinder on yesterday... the problem i first encountered was Friday, on my way home from work i switched from 3rd gear to 4th gear an it wouldnt go in 4th... an pedal stuck to the ground.... well 3 days later, i have pressure back in clutch an car goes in all gears just now it doesnt move anywhere....
Old 09-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's surprising that it would function immediately after install with no bleeding.

Not knowing you or your attention to detail we must consider something missing, fell out, or not fitted correctly since it's being interchanged. Pull the cylinder off at its mounting bolts without loosening the fluid lines. Remove the boot around the clutch fork where it enters the bellhousing and peer into that spookhouse with a good light and see if everything is still together properly.
Put it back together carefully.

btw...Bleeding the slave on an Accord I had was the most difficult bleeding I ever did...I thought it would never pump up.

edit...my slave failure wasn't instantaneous come to think of it, but I guess it's possible. Hope you didn't break a mainshaft or something horrible.

I want to know what this is.....
Old 09-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure... (B and B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B and B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's surprising that it would function immediately after install with no bleeding. .....</TD></TR></TABLE>

naa dude i spent all night gettin air out of the system... i've bled it over an over an over, thats how i got pressure back...
Old 09-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B and B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Pull the cylinder off at its mounting bolts without loosening the fluid lines. Remove the boot around the clutch fork where it enters the bellhousing and peer into that spookhouse with a good light and see if everything is still together properly</TD></TR></TABLE>

also if something were wrong with the pressure plate, release bearing, ect... would it still allow my car to go into gear..??? cuz it seems as if everythings fine, until i give it gas an it goes no where...

also, after I was bleeding it for a while the clutch pedal still would stay stuck to the floor an needed to be pulled back up... but there were no more air bubbles in the hose....
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

... the problem i first encountered was Friday, on my way home from work i switched from 3rd gear to 4th gear an it wouldnt go in 4th... an pedal stuck to the ground.... ....</TD></TR></TABLE>
So this is how it started? With the first slave on, then you changed it?

I guess it's possible that there could be some sort of simultaneous failure of more than one system...challenging. At least your getting alot of help..you'll get it.

I'm going outside for awhile, my hatch's guts are spread all over the garage.
Spun a rod bearing, swapping in a Z7 lower end, swapping over Z6 head, swapping trannys (my Si onto Dx lower) and considering replacing those F'ing synchros while it's out!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

also, after I was bleeding it for a while the clutch pedal still would stay stuck to the floor an needed to be pulled back up... but there were no more air bubbles in the hose....</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's still doing this it isn't fully bled! When your finished it will be springy and you'll feel the tension of the PP. There's still hope.
Slave bleeding sucks.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B and B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

edit...my slave failure wasn't instantaneous come to think of it, but I guess it's possible. Hope you didn't break a mainshaft or something horrible.

....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B and B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If it's still doing this it isn't fully bled! When your finished it will be springy and you'll feel the tension of the PP. There's still hope.
Slave bleeding sucks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i kno it does suck... dude i appreciate the **** outta ur help, its tremendous thats why i love HT.... but back to my problem lol.. would gravity bleeding work in this scenario too..?? I hooked up the lil hose, into a bowl full of brake fluid, unlocked bleeder, an pressed clutch probably about 20 times, an there was no more bubbles at all coming out.... I guess ill try it again, unless u think that the gravity bleed will work better maybe... thanks again dude...

Quick Reply: Installed new Clutch Master Cylinder no pressure...