Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

inspection is killing me

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inspection is killing me

I took an inspection and they said for me to keep driving the car cause the computer showed this:

Catalyst : not ready
evaporative systems: not ready
oxygen sensor: not ready

everything else was ready, but i have driven for a bit and just yesterday i got an ticket for failing to go thru with inspection has anybody ever had this experiance?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inspection is killing me (psyonicdeath)

Yeah, I sold the car lol
Old 09-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inspection is killing me (SkAnK_aSS_BRyAn)

Lol so did I. Poor guy that bought it is gonna be pissed off in about 6 months. What i had to do is get a waiver. Showing that I spent $150 trying to fix my emissions problem. Or if there's a county nearby that you live near, that doesn't have emissions. Just get a PO Box there and register in that county.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inspection is killing me (rfoster03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rfoster03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lol so did I. Poor guy that bought it is gonna be pissed off in about 6 months. What i had to do is get a waiver. Showing that I spent $150 trying to fix my emissions problem. Or if there's a county nearby that you live near, that doesn't have emissions. Just get a PO Box there and register in that county.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol you scammer. I sold it telling him the problems but oh well. What you want to do it get it checked out by a mechanic. Just keep driving the car like the guy suggested. Is it throwing CELs?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:16 PM

how am i supposed to keep driving it and my inspection is due, it doesnt throw cel's, thats the problem.

we in new york city have money hungry ticket police so i need this fixed soon
Old 09-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can't you just sit in the parking lot and let it warm up? Why should you have to drive it around just to get it warmed up or just take it there after you've got it warmed up good.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was your car warmed up to operating temps before doing the test?

What is involved in the test I know every state is different
Old 09-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psyonicdeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Catalyst : not ready
evaporative systems: not ready
oxygen sensor: not ready
</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF does that mean? That tells you nothing.

What has been done to the car? Anything ECU related?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: inspection is killing me (Auex)

OBD2 OWNZ you
Old 09-09-2005, 11:18 PM

you guys dont sound like you know how emissions work. its hooked up to the ecu, yes the car was warm and at normal operation temperature. It obviously doesnt make sense what not ready means, but thats the only peice of info i have to work with from the inspection place...
Old 09-09-2005, 11:32 PM

What motor are you running? with which ecu? i also live in NYC and i know what ur going through all i can say is good luck but also more info will be helpful to answer ur questions!
Old 09-10-2005, 04:56 PM

stock ecu on a 97 dx coupe engine is d16y7
Old 09-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (psyonicdeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psyonicdeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock ecu on a 97 dx coupe engine is d16y7</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you ever or do you know if the o2 sensors have ever been changed?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ROK801)

How much are the tests? It might be worth it to borrow a friends ecu and try again.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Auex)

It might be worth buying a new car, or moving to a County that doesn't have emissions or like I said ealier, does New York have any counties nearby that don't require emissions. If so, get a P.O. Box there, go to your nearest AAA store, and change your address for like 35 bucks. Better off that way, trust me...
Old 09-11-2005, 09:19 AM
95DxSi-R2

i forget what it's called, module status. readiness, monitor?the only way your going to tell if your cat, 02, evap systems are ready is with a scan tool. when you drive any vehicle 96 up, your emissions systems go through a check. you have to be in certain perameters for the tests to complete. When i worked at the chevy dealer here, i had a 02 buick century that was doing the same thing. i don't remember the exact parameters, but i'll try...Cat.- operating temp. of cat (2,500 degress F). But it might have to view data of the o2's to pass cat. Evap.-Cruise speed of 55 mph or more, drive time "20miles" (had to do this one for almost 2 hours). o2- can't remember, i'll try and get the specs. monday. Also, is it all of your monitors that aren't ready, or just these? If so, it would most likely be your pcm, i would ask a honda dealer if there is any tsb's on this.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: inspection is killing me (95DxSi-R2)

only these are not ready
Old 09-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as the car isnt parked on the street you shouldnt have a problem with tickets. for the right price alot of places here in ny will help you pass inspection.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when your battery is unplugged, or the battery dies, and when you go to a smog station, the obd II needs to be resetted. The way you do that is keep driving the car around. One of your best things to do is go to Auto Zone grab your local Haines book. Read the area about System readiness. Take notes as you'll see each sensor needs a different type od drivability. the best bet for you to do is get an extension and a sticker to say you may drive the vehicle. Sorry buddy. im a smog tech only reason why i know. good luck
Old 09-11-2005, 09:24 PM

try changing ur o2's the one on the cat and the header, because im pretty sure i read somewhere that we have problems with our o2's (96-98)
Old 09-11-2005, 09:47 PM

Try to drive your car on the highway at about 65mph crusing(no hard accelerations or braking) for about 50 miles straight. If nothing is wrong with the car, it should trip all the monitors to ready.

Also, if you have access to a dyno, you can do it on a dyno, that's what we do in Cali .
Old 09-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inspection is killing me (raffiT78)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raffiT78 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when your battery is unplugged, or the battery dies, and when you go to a smog station, the obd II needs to be resetted. The way you do that is keep driving the car around. One of your best things to do is go to Auto Zone grab your local Haines book. Read the area about System readiness. Take notes as you'll see each sensor needs a different type od drivability. the best bet for you to do is get an extension and a sticker to say you may drive the vehicle. Sorry buddy. im a smog tech only reason why i know. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

nailed it. same thing happened to my brother's accord. the O2 sensor got disconnected and caused a CEL. i reattached it and the CEL went away. the next day, i went to smog the car and the O2 sensor wasn't "ready" yet. it took 2 weeks of regular driving to get it "ready". i had to get a temporary extension for the emissions test.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inspection is killing me (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nailed it. same thing happened to my brother's accord. the O2 sensor got disconnected and caused a CEL. i reattached it and the CEL went away. the next day, i went to smog the car and the O2 sensor wasn't "ready" yet. it took 2 weeks of regular driving to get it "ready". i had to get a temporary extension for the emissions test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

after the CEL, did you reset your ECU with an obd scantool or unplug your battery? a CEL just doesnt always go away by itself right away. starting the car a certain number of times without any further problems may wipe the CEL. and thats not the same thing as being ready, only the obd scanner can tell you that. usually driving the car for about 15 minutes/10 miles should do the trick. ive never heard of it taking 2 weeks...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: inspection is killing me (EKcivicEX)

does your registration say *nyma*
if no...then pm me
Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: inspection is killing me (raffiT78)

my chiltons book mentions nothing about system readiness

Quick Reply: inspection is killing me