Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol?

hey guys- quick question. should i get an Injen short ram intake for my 1994 Honda del sol with SOHC VTEC engine? or the AEM short ran intake? i can get either one for about $125. (i'm not going to get a Cold Air Intake because there's been way too much flooding when rain comes in my neighborhood and the snow in the Chicago area gets pretty bad)
Old 12-28-2001, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (ckdelsol)

your not going to get any noticeable house power difference with the aem over the injen,both intake are pretty much the same, between the 2 i would just go with which ever one you think looks better.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:52 PM

if your worried about getting water in your engine, then get a bypass valve

your not going to notice any power difference with a short ram. It's just suckin' the hot air from the engine bay.

later,

aj
Old 12-28-2001, 10:30 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you want the Short intake, don't waste your money and keep the stock setup.
Only 2-3 choices,
AEM or Injun LONG tube or the Slatertake.

[Modified by Mista Bone, 2:30 AM 12/29/2001]
Old 12-29-2001, 12:00 AM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (Mista Bone)

Well if you want the Short intake, don't waste your money and keep the stock setup.
Only 2-3 choices,
AEM or Injun LONG tube or the Slatertake.

[Modified by Mista Bone, 2:30 AM 12/29/2001]
Keep the stock box. Get yourself a DOHC air tube off the Sol.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (ajn)

don't the Injen intakes come with a heat shield or something?
Old 12-29-2001, 08:27 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

heat sheild don't matter, it is the tuned length fo the tubing.
http://www.darksol.com
Old 12-29-2001, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (Mista Bone)

i just got my AEM cold air for my Civic coupe and i love the thing to death.....would recommend this to anyone.....it rained the day after i intalled it, so i pulled my wheel well back again and there was not even a drop of water in where the filter was
Old 12-29-2001, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the AEM is a 2 1/5 tubing ..the injen a 3 inch. tube...i chose the AEM cuz the mounting bracket makes for a real clean install..and the narrower tubing of the AEM vs. t he 3inch weapon s actually show d an improved power increase...u tell me
Old 12-29-2001, 09:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (fifthgearonline)

Just get the cai and get a bypass valve.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (Krow)

Just get the cai and get a bypass valve.

i love mine.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (KAMiN)

if you go with a 2.5" tubing you are going to have faster air flow to the throttle body. with a 3" the air will get to spred out and then will slow down. You are better off getting an AEM CAI...., another 2.5" CAI, OR bending your self your own intake out of 2.5" tubing
Old 12-30-2001, 12:31 AM
New User

Don't bother with "filter on a stick" with your setup. Get a CAI, AEM w/bypass is best choice if you've got flooding in your area.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:06 AM
HT White Ops

(i'm not going to get a Cold Air Intake because there's been way too much flooding when rain comes in my neighborhood and the snow in the Chicago area gets pretty bad)
Just go with an Iceman. You can switch from a CAI/Drylands setup to a Short Ram/Wetlands setup in about 5 minutes. You just 'break' the intake at the split and mount the filter inside the engine compartment when it's "flooding".

Old 12-30-2001, 11:12 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (ajn)

if your worried about getting water in your engine, then get a bypass valve

your not going to notice any power difference with a short ram. It's just suckin' the hot air from the engine bay.
True and false, bro!

Short rams do NOTHING for performance, but are the best LOOKING setup appearance-wise. It's a trade-off for tuners, as always; looks or performance.

Secondly, AEM bypass valves do NOTHING BENEFICIAL unless they are completely SUBMERGED. I don't know how many ppl drive their CiViC in water up to their headlights, but for everyone else all the bypass valve does is disturb the air flow.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:17 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (fifthgearonline)

if you go with a 2.5" tubing you are going to have faster air flow to the throttle body. with a 3" the air will get to spred out and then will slow down...
Thank you! This is another reason to get an Iceman. The Iceman air tube starts at 3-inches by the filter and gradually tapers to 2 1/2 at the TB. This increases BOTH volume and velocity. AEM CANNOT COMPARE to Iceman in this regard - period!
Old 12-30-2001, 11:45 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

AEM bypass valves do NOTHING BENEFICIAL unless they are completely SUBMERGED. I don't know how many ppl drive their CiViC in water up to their headlights, but for everyone else all the bypass valve does is disturb the air flow.
I know I'm going to be attacked by the AEM zealots for questioning their little 'candy apple' gods. So, in advance...

Source: AEM Web Site

<u>Air Bypass Valve</u>

AEM’s Air Bypass valve for Cold Air Induction Systems virtually eliminates the unlikely chance of water ingestion should the filter element become wet from deep puddles, rain, hail, sleet or snow–or any other scenario in which the filter element could encounter [bullsh!t hype - bdc] or become <u>submerged in water</u> [read their lips! - bdc]. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe on the same axis as the throttle body centerline. Should a drop in pressure occur within the pipe due to <u>filter submersion</u>, the valve shuts down induction at the filter and routes incoming air through its external orifices, eliminating any chance of water ingestion.

AEM’s Air Bypass Valve is for use on AEM Cold Air Systems only.
Despite what AEM claims [or doesn't claim depending on how YOU read it], their BV WILL NOT magically seperate water from air. It is simply a "bypass" valve that opens when the air filter is completely <u>submerged</u> and closes when it isn't. They've also been subject to a massive recall recently because they came apart, got stuck in the TB and jammed them in the WFO position.

The mags test these cheap plastic valves by dropping the air filter into a fish tank full of water at 5000 RPM. The water is sucked about half way up the tube, then the bypass filter opens. Question: What happens to the water in the intake tube when the 'photo op' is done??? This is as bad as those fuc*ing Dura-Lube commercials, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, it's your life. Personally, I use the OE airbox with a K&N panel filter. I think Honda engineers are smarter than ppl realize. They did a nice job of designing a filter system that flows nicely, quiets the sound and keeps the water out. That's the route I would suggest you go.

If you want the most performance and configurability, go with the Iceman. If you want to join the AEM groupies, have at it...
Old 12-30-2001, 11:54 AM
HT White Ops

One last point. I've done this AEM vs. Iceman thing before...

Yes, the Iceman comes with a 3-inch K&N Cone filter, however, Knight Engineering usually puts either blue or gold oil on them instead of the red pictured here. AEM use a much smaller 2 1/2 version.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:04 PM
Boba Connoisseur

DBC, you are rambling about **** you have no clue about. Stop.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:08 PM
New User

Heres one more idea...

AEM short ram, dont take that one...

I would take the Injen Intake --&gt; Why you ask - well because you can convert this to a CAI with the help of a cold air extension....

Or try the DAC (DC sports intake), its a short ram but you can buy a cold air extension for that as well...

That would be more suited to what you want

ENJOY!!!
Old 12-30-2001, 03:24 PM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (SkyeC)

Yes, BDC, please stop.

You are correct on some points, but others are complete wrong.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:26 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (B18C-EJ1)

You are correct on some points, but others are complete wrong.
Fill us in. What am I "complete wrong" about??? Just curious...
Old 12-30-2001, 06:40 PM
B18C-EJ1

The Iceman air tube starts at 3-inches by the filter and gradually tapers to 2 1/2 at the TB. This increases BOTH volume and velocity. AEM CANNOT COMPARE to Iceman in this regard - period!
There are some AEM units that are 3" in diameter.

What AEM does have over Iceman units is the aluminum intake. When air passes through the tube, it gets cooled instantly. The coated aluminum acts like a heat exchanger.

We've done temp tests on a working AEM, and you'd be supprisied how cold the tube gets at full throttle. The Iceman remains at the same temp, or gets warmer because plastic doesn't disapate heat as well as aluminum.

Yes, the Iceman comes with a 3-inch K&N Cone filter, however, Knight Engineering usually puts either blue or gold oil on them instead of the red pictured here. AEM use a much smaller 2 1/2 version.
What does that have to do with anything? The 3" cone filter iceman uses actually has less surface area in which to draw air from. Also, AEM doesn't use just a 2.5", they also have a 2.75" and a 3" version. It all depends on which intake you purchase.

Short rams do NOTHING for performance, but are the best LOOKING setup appearance-wise. It's a trade-off for tuners, as always; looks or performance.
Incorrect. Short rams do provide additional performance over stock. In fact, they can provide more overall HP and torque over a CAI. There are cases which engines have put more HP to the ground with a short ram over a CAI.

Personally I use a stock airbox and a drop in filter. I don't care much for flashy stuff like CAI's etc....

Pick what you want because you like it, not because someone told you that it was better or worse.

There are always 2 sides to every story. If it works for you, have fun with it.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:15 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol? (B18C-EJ1)

There are some AEM units that are 3" in diameter.
Are you saying AEM makes a 3" unit for a del Sol? That's what we're talking about here. The Iceman is 3" then tapers to 2 1/2" increasing air velocity along the way. Besides that, ALL AEM's use parallel-wall tubing. No increase in velocity can possibly take place, even in a 3" model because it's the same diameter all the way through.

Add their BV and the situation becomes moot anyway. It's like putting a stop sign in the middle of a freeway. Increased velocity means increased HP and Iceman makes them both in spades; AEM doesn't...

What AEM does have over Iceman units is the aluminum intake. When air passes through the tube, it gets cooled instantly. The coated aluminum acts like a heat exchanger.
The reason the tube feels colder is because air temperature drops in a vacuum. Air temperature increases when compressed, like when you're running a FI setup. Secondly, the aluminum transfers heat from the engine compartment when the hood is closed and the car is at a rest, when there is no air movement, such as at a stoplight or sitting on the start line at a drag strip. The longer an AEM 'sits there', the more power you will lose!

We've done temp tests on a working AEM, and you'd be supprisied how cold the tube gets at full throttle. The Iceman remains at the same temp, or gets warmer because plastic doesn't disapate heat as well as aluminum.
Think about what you're saying... The engine compartment is the hottest place in your car. The whole idea of CAI is to take cold air from outside the engine compartment and deliver it to the TB. Which way do you think the heat is going to go? Do you think the intake is going to cool the engine compartment, or the engine compartment is going to heat the intake??? Cold is the lack of heat, and there's PLENTY of HEAT in an engine compartment.

What does that have to do with anything? The 3" cone filter iceman uses actually has less surface area in which to draw air from. Also, AEM doesn't use just a 2.5", they also have a 2.75" and a 3" version. It all depends on which intake you purchase.[/i]
Many ppl see blue [or gold] filters on Iceman's and incorrectly assume they have some sort of cheap generic filters on them. My point was that they do indeed come with genuine K&N air filters. I only said this to preclude some bonehead from claiming that AEM's come with K&N filters and Icemans don't. This usually pops up further along in the dialog. I was trying to 'head it off.'

Incorrect. Short rams do provide additional performance over stock. In fact, they can provide more overall HP and torque over a CAI. There are cases which engines have put more HP to the ground with a short ram over a CAI.
I'm sorry, but I don't know any way of putting it nicely. This really shows how stupid your arguments are. Short rams, so called, draw air from the engine compartment. You lose 1%-HP for every 10-degrees F increase in air temp. Even in the winter, engine compartments can quickly reach the boiling point; 90-100 degrees [or more] above ambient air temp. That's a 9-10% loss of HP any way you cut it. In the summertime, a 130 degree hotter air charge from an exposed underhood air filter can result in a 14% decrease in HP. It's a matter of fact, not opinion. To argue otherwise is just --- well, stupid! True CAI's, like an Iceman, or even an 'long' AEM, will out-power a short ram EVERY TIME!!!

So, was there anything else I was "complete wrong" about???

[Modified by BlackDeuceCoupe, 10:41 PM 12/30/2001]
Old 12-30-2001, 10:08 PM
New User

Yes the AEM will outpower the short-ram on most cases, but some guys with heavily modded cars with high lift cams (i.e Toda Spec B's), prefer to use short ram for more top end over the AEM. But a CAI is still the best overall choice, but also depends on your setup and if you mainly drag or road race.

Quick Reply: Injen or AEM short ram intake for my del Sol?