Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

induction length??? and cam ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default induction length??? and cam ideas??

hey guys and gals, i was refered to u guys for help on my b16a...

the look has finished and its now time for the go..

i have been told to go for a colder air induction... this can be obtained throough an extension in the pipe to the front grill or some piping from the grill up to the filter...

doesnt it lose power from the extention to the induction???

also has anyone tried using the TODA killer cams and what sort of power did they produce..

they are a little expessive and i am not sure if they will reap the benefits...

i have a small aim.. and that is to be able to beat a bpu subaru wrx... they r not fast but are decent... plans for an ecu are finalised and hondata will run the set-up.. other upgrades are in the mix but i need advise on these 2 items...
the cams and the induction..

thank you very much..
Old 11-27-2002, 08:03 AM

Default Re: induction length??? and cam ideas?? (crx_project)

cummon guys....

Old 11-27-2002, 09:04 AM

well in theory with a longer intake tube you might lose some force from the air coming to the they are but also you gota figure how much denser the air coming to the motor is. engine cold is better i engine is kinda like a computer in the sence that within reason they will run better the colder. i would get get a aem i use to have a dc sports cac and after a few weeks i bought the extention to make it a cold air. i would stay away from getting one of those look like a intercooler intakes all they do is such up water with out any diffrence in gains. The toda cams... the vtec killer cams are not intened for street use. Due to the fact that they will no produce any power till about 4,000 rpms. i would sugest a nice set of skunk2 stage 2 cams better price range better all around power. or you can also get a set of itr cams, if seen nice gains for them aswell. anyways i hope i helped peace

[Modified by hondafreakc5, 1:08 PM 11/27/2002]
Old 11-27-2002, 06:17 PM

Default Re: induction length??? and cam ideas?? (hondafreakc5)

thanx heaps...

so wat there is NO power from 4k down???

also mounting the filterbehind the grill... wouldnt that suck u p rain in the wet???
Old 12-08-2002, 06:42 AM

back to the CAI... would i be best to use pvc piping or just run black flexi hose down???

thanx...
Old 12-08-2002, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do not use PVC under your hood. It can melt and give off toxic fumes. That is not a very good idea.

For intake length, you have tradeoffs. If you use a short ram style intake you will have a bit more top end hp, but less low end torque compared to a cold air style intake. The cold air not only sucks in colder air, but keeps the intake veocity up with gives you the better low end.

If you are looking for cams, dont get the VTEC killers for the street. Those are made for race purposes only. The Spec A is pretty mild and will give stock idle. The Spec B and Spec C both give more power than the A. You will want to upgrade your valve train with either B or C.

The B and the C also have the same non-VTEC lobes, so idle is indentical on the two. The C's just have a rather large VTEC lobe for amazing top end. Just remember, new valve springs are a must.

Another thing to consider is the fact that you will not see the full potential of any of your larger cams without and increase in compression. If I were to put any of those cams in, I would at least get some CTR pistons and a thinner head gasket.

Keep in mind, tuning is key.

Kenton
Old 12-08-2002, 08:30 AM

for a second I thought you were referring to me