Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Individual Throttle Body on a D16Y8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Individual Throttle Body on a D16Y8?

Ok honda guys! i have a d16y8 that i would like to put itb's on. i noticed ITB's for d16z6 all day but nothing for the D8.....do they make them for the D16y8 if not can i throw the z6 ITB's on there? am i **** out of luck? (i happen to like the D8 engine)
Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Individual Throttle Body on a D16Y8?

Why?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cuz he has a newer civic or at least engine. And he wants ITBs because he thinks there will be an actual benefit from em.

my dad's 1.6 4age blacktop 5valve engine has ITBs. I dont think its special nor worthwhile.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

wtf is a d8? Are you tracking? Is your motor built? Why do you think your cylinders are starving for air? Have you thought about custom making your own? Are you not capable of such easy task even though you thought about adding ITB's to your car?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

personally, if the basic understanding of ITB's is not understood you prbly dont need them and the amount of work that is to go in to them is not going to be worth the time or money.

the z6 and y8 have the same bolt pattern for the intake. if you buy ITB's of the shelf they will bolt up ( i mean literately bolt up. NOT bolt on, start car, job done)

do you understand what needs to be done with ITB's or what the benefit of them actually is? does this Y8 have any other mods?

an ITB setup is not cheap either way.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

pass on the ITBs and go for a turbo set up. You will actually make power.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you really want to just do it.. Do u have access to a dyno? I'm curious to see if there will be any decent gain, cheapest way is yo build ur own itb with like motorcycle throttle bodies, or check out OBX itb's twice the price tho but cheapest complete itb available, and as stated before same bolt pattern so the z6 one will work
Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITB's don't make power so much as they make throttle response. Yes, you can bolt a Z6 ITB setup onto a Y8. OBX hardware is garbage - don't waste your time. You will need to get your car tuned, and not every tuner knows what they're doing with ITBs - they are a completely different beast than turbo or superchargers, and take a completely different skill set in tuning.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not looking for serious power I'm one of those "small hinges swing big doors" kinda guys. i want that in combination with a few other parts including a high flow exhaust system (emissions legal) and other minor swaps. i have a fully rebuilt d8 engine (oem internals) I'm surrounding the engine with what I feel are more efficient externals for the sake of long term vehicle integrity and damage control. i am staying naturally aspirated because of the wear on the rods it often causes on D8's. (or so i have researched through other forums here) other than turbo if you gentlemen have any recommendations for parts that would help performance in the sense of long term integrity, please, I'm all ears. lets treat this as a brainstorming session. (BTW i am a D series fan because ive always loved the 6th generation and i have a 2000 civic ex which was the last year of this generation. i dont want to do an engine swap because i feel the engine is what makes the car. im not swapping for the integra engine or SI engine as my car came with the one it had and i love my car)
Old 03-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also notaracist your right about obx i have seen previous posts you and a few others have made about them on past forums.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also if a traditional aftermarket throttle body is just as good im all for it (saves me money) just let me know
Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Wear on the rods? There is no wear on the rods if the motor is built, assembled, and tuned correctly. Fact of the matter is, quite simply, that you will not gain any power worth mentioning without some form of forced induction. Turbochargers really are ideal for the entire D series family of motors. ITBs are fun and all, they sound cool, and they'll add a little more pep to your step with better throttle response, but they realistically won't add power. Yes, you'll see a power gain from them, but that's only because you absolutely must have the car set up and tuned properly, and a good tune will also net a power gain. They also add a good number of moving parts, which means more maintenance, and more room for failure.

Regardless of what you do, without major head work and some serious internals, you'll still be slower than any B series engine if you don't have some form of forced induction.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

And it's not the rods of the Y8 that's the issue it's the single oil hole per journal of the crank that is the weakness of the Y8 and every other d series bottom end with the exception of the Z6. The Z6 has two oil holes in each journal. It's that single feature that makes the Z6 bottom end superior to all other D series bottom ends. The B's (B, B2, B7. B8) are even more fragile with the single oil hole and smaller journal size.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 PM

The rods do have their limit, though - put too much power through them, and even with the greatest tune in the world, they'll bend. I knew a guy who had his stock D16Y8 tuned to a comfortable 300 to the wheels. Perfect tune, car ran beautifully, had zero problems and zero detonation. A year later, his quarter mile time was noticeably worse than it was when he first ran it. Still no problems with the motor, so he decided to split it up, break it down, and see what was wrong.

All four rods had equally bent. Perfectly equally. Still balanced, still ran great, but the bent rods had tanked his static compression from the stock 9.6:1 down to about 7:1.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

To make it brief, in order to make power with a d series, either swap or boost it.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARacist
The rods do have their limit, though - put too much power through them, and even with the greatest tune in the world, they'll bend. I knew a guy who had his stock D16Y8 tuned to a comfortable 300 to the wheels. Perfect tune, car ran beautifully, had zero problems and zero detonation. A year later, his quarter mile time was noticeably worse than it was when he first ran it. Still no problems with the motor, so he decided to split it up, break it down, and see what was wrong.

All four rods had equally bent. Perfectly equally. Still balanced, still ran great, but the bent rods had tanked his static compression from the stock 9.6:1 down to about 7:1.
Yeah wasn't saying there weren't any limits. Just noting where the Y8 weakness was noted and why they spin bearings more often than the Z6.

Your friend was crazy putting that much power to stock rods in my opinion.

I was under the impression stock rods were good to about 250 whp. After that Forged was needed to take the abuse.

Wild that it was still balanced and they all bent perfectly like that. Never heard a story like that one. Wicked stuff.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Itb setup will cost as much as two of your motors.........yeah...sensible.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually in the phoenix market a rebuilt d8 is going for 1300-1800 with a 12/12 warrenty. Ive done my research i do bankruptcy and tax law so if it comes to financials i know how to save, however, vehicles I AM starting out but i do know that an engine swap is NOT an option. i saw forums where a guy said he beat a FI car with ITB's. must have been ebay turbo because i dont buy that haha. i understand i wont see substantial gains but NotaRacist you proved my point. i will have a pep in my step! thats ALL i want. i know you guys can relate on how it sucks trying to get out of someone's way on the freeway with a stock d8. Holy **** that blows. i am NOT trying to ask if ITB's will change my life by any means but damn it they sell it and the advertisements look wonderful and to a newbie vehicle consumer like myself you HAVE to ask. i WILL take your word for it though and get a traditional throttle body. (Basically my engine is new but my car has 200k miles) i want to make sure the "exterior engine components" are up to snuff. i NEED a throttle body. (why not get the best) i need a torque converter (why not get the best) and so on. i do appreciate the input. this forum will be a great help to anyone looking to buy ITB's or not. as you guys know, there isn't a ton of information out there so this is by far the best forum that we have created to give people insight on them. please add more and i will stay away from them. (im just going to get a skunk throttle body) no itb ****. Thanks Guys! =]
Old 03-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Its not that we're telling you to stay aways, it depends on what your setup is for. We can all turbo our cars any day all day, but with the proper tuning and proper gear ratio it can be for the track or the strip. But for a daily with a little pull when you feel like taking someone, TO ME, ITBs are not the ideal setup.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with you. Upon your responses I got that realization and did some more research the gains aren't where I would like them to be. I actually have an issue that JUST came up at 9:30pm 3/21/14 *maybe* with my exhaust smoke depending on the gear setting of my automatic transmission. Should I go further into detail here? Or start a new forum? (If I start a new forum under what category is proper?)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

itb's AND an auto trans? tell you what, give me a grand, ill fly out to you, kick you in the nuts and youll STILL come out on top.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by mdemroo1
I agree with you. Upon your responses I got that realization and did some more research the gains aren't where I would like them to be. I actually have an issue that JUST came up at 9:30pm 3/21/14 *maybe* with my exhaust smoke depending on the gear setting of my automatic transmission. Should I go further into detail here? Or start a new forum? (If I start a new forum under what category is proper?)
Start a new thread (A forum is where threads are housed, aka 92-00 civic "forum). What were are posting in is your ITB on D16Y8 thread. Start a new thread for your transmission woes.

Also just to clarify so hopefully you can speak in the same lingo as the majority of the Honda folk here. You use the last two digits of an engine model number when talking about D series engines and possibly other series too. When you say D8 most people are like "What???" because there was no D16D8 or D15D8 motor. So in your case if you wish to be understood by all you say a Y8, then everyone knows you are talking about the D16Y8 motor. If you insist on saying D8, you will just be insisting on being misleading and confusing to the general Honda public. And this is why your D8 idea doesn't work, is it a D15B8 or the D16Y8? While there was only one Y8 in the D series. I doubt a Y8 got used on other series too.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not even going to get involved in this thread other then to say WHAT A WASTE all motor d-series is financial suicide you better get a s300(600$) just to get it running right.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eghatch i actually laughed when i read that! you got me there, i cant lie, Tomcat thanks for the advice.....We were all new once. i consider myself a rookie but my heart is in my car for sure. ill start the new thread! thanks for the constructive criticism it ws taken well.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome. most people get very butthurt. good luck with it

Quick Reply: Individual Throttle Body on a D16Y8?