Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Improving Ek Hatch Power/MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving Ek Hatch Power/MPGs

So I am new the the forum so I wanted to just first say hello! I am looking to get into the Honda game since my V8 Cutlass us pulling 6 MPG right now. I am currently planning the car I want to buy/build and I want to pull together some opinions. I am going to start with a Ek Hatch. I want to improve power without losing and hopefully improving MPGs. Fuel Mileage is most important however. I want to go turbo something: Y7, Y8, B16. But I am open to anything. Like I said, I just want opinions and maybe some peoples setups along with their power ratings and MPGs. I am pretty car fluent and have been restoring Muscle for a few years now and have swapped a couple Hondas so I should be able to keep up with what you guys are saying. So don't hold back just because I'm new.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Improving Ek Hatch Power/MPGs

I forgot to mention that this is going to be my daily so reliability is important.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Deseries.org they have plenty of info there
Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
Good way to redirect the new guy somewhere else.

About all you can do is a full tuneup... And boosting will not improve MPG's
Old 07-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hyperblu

Well as far as boosting not improving MPG's, that is debatable. If you fill up the intake with Big injectors than it probably won't, but If your just shooting for more efficient combustion and leave the stock injectors, you have a good chance of improving MPGs. There are Chevy trucks that have gained 5 MPG's by just putting a Turbo on the stock Engine. They also have like 150 more horsepower. I'm not shooting for massive gains in horsepower, I just want a little extra. I should also mention Boosting a car is something I really want to do, and I figure a Civic is a good place to start.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You didn't search did you?

Normally when you turbo a Honda, your going to push on it a little harder. Which will kill your MPG's. Most poeple don't turbo these cars to just daily them.

Secondly, turbo or swap is your option.Single cams were only meant for reliablity, and MPG.
And it's going to be pretty difficult and expensive to pull good realible power from this car, without a turbo or a swap.

If you can keep your foot out of it enough there isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to net 20+mpg. If you really want to boost it. Look into doing a mini me, and while your in take a look a vitara eagal setup. These setups can make damn good power, and are pretty cheap. This would also help a bit with keeping the car reliable.

"Most" people are going to reccomend swapping the car. A b16 can and will be called gutless. But, it will be a pretty nice upgrade from the Y7.

if you want to swap the car, take a look at a LS. They aren't vtec, but will make more tourqe then a b16, ever will without quite a bit of cash.

Also, with doing a LS/b20 swap now, you'll have the abilty to go LS,B20/vtec down the road.

How much money are you looking to spend, and how mechanicly inclinded are you? (this could save you a ton of money!)
Old 07-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
You didn't search did you?

Normally when you turbo a Honda, your going to push on it a little harder. Which will kill your MPG's. Most poeple don't turbo these cars to just daily them.

Secondly, turbo or swap is your option.Single cams were only meant for reliablity, and MPG.
And it's going to be pretty difficult and expensive to pull good realible power from this car, without a turbo or a swap.

If you can keep your foot out of it enough there isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to net 20+mpg. If you really want to boost it. Look into doing a mini me, and while your in take a look a vitara eagal setup. These setups can make damn good power, and are pretty cheap. This would also help a bit with keeping the car reliable.

"Most" people are going to reccomend swapping the car. A b16 can and will be called gutless. But, it will be a pretty nice upgrade from the Y7.

if you want to swap the car, take a look at a LS. They aren't vtec, but will make more tourqe then a b16, ever will without quite a bit of cash.

Also, with doing a LS/b20 swap now, you'll have the abilty to go LS,B20/vtec down the road.

How much money are you looking to spend, and how mechanicly inclinded are you? (this could save you a ton of money!)
By new to the Honda game I mean't I have never owned one.

Did you read what I wrote in the original post? I've swapped Hondas before. I've done B16 into Ek Hatch and that is actually what changed my mind about Honda. I was taught Muscle, and just applied it over. (Fuel Injection is still new though) I have been wrenching since I was little.

Why Is B16 Gutless?

I like boosted B16 with a leaned out tune but I also like boosted Minime leaned out.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
Thank you lots of good info! Already finding much of what I was looking for.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Dhanns
By new to the Honda game I mean't I have never owned one.

Did you read what I wrote in the original post? I've swapped Hondas before. I've done B16 into Ek Hatch and that is actually what changed my mind about Honda. I was taught Muscle, and just applied it over. (Fuel Injection is still new though) I have been wrenching since I was little.

Why Is B16 Gutless?

I like boosted B16 with a leaned out tune but I also like boosted Minime leaned out.
Yes, I read your post. My buddy has swapped a few, but he's still brain dead about a lot of stuff. We did a GSR swap into his 95 in a weekend, he went to replace the clutch and freaked out. lol

No torque, well less then the GSR/LS.

A boosted b16 is a different story.

Why would you want a leaned out tune!?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I read your post. My buddy has swapped a few, but he's still brain dead about a lot of stuff. We did a GSR swap into his 95 in a weekend, he went to replace the clutch and freaked out. lol

No torque, well less then the GSR/LS.

A boosted b16 is a different story.

Why would you want a leaned out tune!?
http://www.d-series.org/forums/force...64-8mpg-5.html

I'm still learning about all of this tuning stuff, so it might not be the totally best move. But that post is making me look at what I can do. I'm still a few months from buying the car. I'm just trying to get a plan in place so that I don't regret any decisions. I'm used to Carburetors and not Fuel Injection and Computers. This is as much an experiment for me as it is an easy way to beat 6-8 MPGs on my Cutlass.

I was thinking Gutless like a bad idea
Old 07-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Master Detailer

Yea, **** that 6-8mpg stuff.

You'd have to try pretty hard to get that low with a honda.

Those things were meant to run like that, to get max MPG.

Your driving habit's play such a large roll in your MPG, by keeping your foot out of it, and keep the RPM's as low as possible are key. Also, bigger wheels can knock your MPG pretty quickly.

I lost about 3mpg with my 15's
Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What the op means by running a lean tune is having the engine run lean until the turbo spools up so u can keep a good mpg and have power wen u need it. If the tune is done correctly the ecu should richin once a certain rpm is reached( usually wen the turbo spools)
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b18b swap for cheap or b18c swap if u can afford
Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killahatch
What the op means by running a lean tune is having the engine run lean until the turbo spools up so u can keep a good mpg and have power wen u need it. If the tune is done correctly the ecu should richin once a certain rpm is reached( usually wen the turbo spools)
Precisely what I'm shooting for. I have other cars to race around and stuff, Like I said I come from the Muscle background. This car is a daily hopefully a Kick when needed. I understand that once I get on it the MPGs will go down, that is totally expected. I just want to be able to save money with everyday and rip around when needed.

Beating on it is still going to give me better mileage than my current car...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, **** that 6-8mpg stuff.

You'd have to try pretty hard to get that low with a honda.

Those things were meant to run like that, to get max MPG.

Your driving habit's play such a large roll in your MPG, by keeping your foot out of it, and keep the RPM's as low as possible are key. Also, bigger wheels can knock your MPG pretty quickly.

I lost about 3mpg with my 15's
I haven't considered the loss of MPGs by changing the wheels. Is your car the same height after the change? My plan was 15" Slipstreams on a lowered chassis . I could see the raised height due to the wheels causing a little more drag, but I wouldn't expect 3 MPG.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put in a boost gauge. You can use the vacuum numbers to watch your throttle position. Keep the numbers down there and your mileage will go up.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenext
Put in a boost gauge. You can use the vacuum numbers to watch your throttle position. Keep the numbers down there and your mileage will go up.
I got a kia forte as a rental car while my jetta was in the body shop and it has a little green light that illuminated if you're in the "eco mode"... Too much throttle, light went off... pretty neat.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Dhanns
I haven't considered the loss of MPGs by changing the wheels. Is your car the same height after the change? My plan was 15" Slipstreams on a lowered chassis . I could see the raised height due to the wheels causing a little more drag, but I wouldn't expect 3 MPG.
It's actually about a 1'' lower. lol

It's very well known that larger wheels/tires can affect MPG. There was a guy on here that claimed 5mpg going from stock 14'' wheels, to 15'' SI wheels.

Also the weight of the wheels can play a roll. I am running OEM wheels that aren't all that light. My 14's weigh next to noithing compared to my new wheels lol
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperblu

Sure it can. If you get a good tune and don't try to constantly keep it in boost.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's actually about a 1'' lower. lol

It's very well known that larger wheels/tires can affect MPG. There was a guy on here that claimed 5mpg going from stock 14'' wheels, to 15'' SI wheels.

Also the weight of the wheels can play a roll. I am running OEM wheels that aren't all that light. My 14's weigh next to noithing compared to my new wheels lol
Any idea what causes the loss of MPG?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's called unsprung weight.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Larger diameter equals same speed at lower rpm/load. It also creates a larger contact patch, creating more friction, meaning less mpgs. However, I would go back to the lightest choice possible. Unsprung weight savings affect the mpgs more than anything.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I would also recommend reading about 3-stage VTEC. D15Z7 engine. May be the combination of HP and FE you're looking for.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by leoaa777
Larger diameter equals same speed at lower rpm/load. It also creates a larger contact patch, creating more friction, meaning less mpgs. However, I would go back to the lightest choice possible. Unsprung weight savings affect the mpgs more than anything.
Doesn't a larger wheel make the car go the same speed at a higher RPM/Load? That would make more sense as far as lowering MPGs.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.aerocivic.com/

Quick Reply: Improving Ek Hatch Power/MPGs