Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Importing a EG or EK civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a EG or EK civic

Hello since the theft of my old eg hatch a year ago I told myself I would never bother fixing up another car ever again. I know some on here have probably said the same thing at one point its rough seeing your once pride and joy raped and defiled in a impound lot.

Anyway I've been toying with the idea of having either a 92-95 hatch or 98-00 civic type R shipped to the USA from overseas. Having a RHD civic on the streets of Los Angles, CA probably just screams steal me but I've told myself thats the only way I would consider fixing up another car again.

I tried to do a search but all I found were treads on coverting to rhd and photo treads which only made me want one more. So my question is once I get the car here how hard is it to get it regstered and all that. I will be buying it from a private party so will have all the paperworks from the car with me from their country not sure if that helps at all. I know its is possible but takes some time to do so any insight on the time/cost would be great.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Importing a EG or EK civic (jillwill)

i would just find a legit jdm civic already in the states that's been registered, so you dont have to go thru all of that
Old 04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Importing a EG or EK civic (nicks-eg6)

i bet hes balllin
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Importing a EG or EK civic (slikz714)

I have a friend who exports cars corvettes and porsche's so he said he could get me a deal on shipping not sure how much of a deal. So thats why I kind of want to find my own

The problem with finding one here is who ever has one for sale knows what its worth and is gonna charge a premium for it especially being registered and all. I can wait however long it takes to get the paperwork stuff done so if the car has to sit and I get it for cheaper better for me.

Beside that finding one here completely stock with not a single thing done to it is another thing. Its hard enough trying to find a cheap un-molested usdm one
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Importing a EG or EK civic (jillwill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jillwill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a friend who exports cars corvettes and porsche's so he said he could get me a deal on shipping not sure how much of a deal. So thats why I kind of want to find my own

The problem with finding one here is who ever has one for sale knows what its worth and is gonna charge a premium for it especially being registered and all. I can wait however long it takes to get the paperwork stuff done so if the car has to sit and I get it for cheaper better for me.

Beside that finding one here completely stock with not a single thing done to it is another thing. Its hard enough trying to find a cheap un-molested usdm one </TD></TR></TABLE>regardless however you go about getting it... you are going to end up spending some coin.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Importing a EG or EK civic (nicks-eg6)

I suggest you try and find one in the states first,it would certainly make life alot easier for yourself.

I import jdm cars to the Caribbean as part of my buisness, and trust me dont ever get a car shipped through Jamaica..it will arrive missing so many parts you'll wish you never bought it.rims,spoilers,lips,interior,gauges,engine parts, you name it..a R33 GTR Skyline arrived once in a container with no engine and tranny believe it or not.

Shipping is a big part of the price on these deals though;yes a mint EK9 ctr looks good when its selling for US$7000 or a modified EG6 SiR for US$1500..but add anywhere between $1000 to $3000 to that and remember you will be paying for it when you order it,it will then sit there till the little Japanese guys stop eating sushi and manage to fill a ship with cars their exporting,then time at sea,plus a total of a few days to weeks spent sitting around in different countries and your looking at 2-3months before you even get the papers much less the car..

I guess it does depend how much of a deal your friend can get you but your looking at pretty big bucks no matter what you do.
I suggest though that you buy a usdm car,and use the rest of your money to get yourself a garage or decent security system.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:57 AM

Check with your local DMV regarding having a RHD car registered first. I Checked it out about 8 years ago here in AZ and the car has to be imported a certain way to even be qualified to be registered in the states. Just my .02