Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

im stuck with a D

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im stuck with a D

ok as stated i have a d16y8 my dad bought it for me about 6 months ago and he is very against me doing any mods what so ever to the car. i talked him into wheels and tires but even an intake and a exhaust he is against. So my question is what can i do to my car that will look close to stock and is not to hard to install. my dad does know his cars so i cant bs him about my car being tied up for a few days. thanks for any suggestions i have spent a long time researching and looking for parts but i dont know if any of them are even worth putting on.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im stuck with a D (SpeedoKing)

welp ur screwed, d series make no power unless theres a turbo attatched

does he know what a nitrous bottle looks like?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, the D series is a great motor. A good cam will take away virtually any advantage that the DOHC has, just ask Endyn. And the valve angle of a SOHC is superior.

Secondly, your dad is a mechanic so there is very little you can do. Why are you going to stab him in the back like that anyway? Pretty much the only things you can do are going to be internal. I suggest changing the pistons for high compression and changing the cam.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:09 AM

Strip weight? What do you want the car to do? You could probably swap suspension but if he knows cars he'll definitely notice your ride hide unless you stuck with stock ride height but that'd almost defeat the purpose. Carbon fiber if you're seriously obsessed with dumping money into your slow car in some way or another.

I drive the save engine right now... I wouldn't dream of trying to make a fast car out of that engine. It can be done, but certainly not in your situation.
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is nothing you can easily modify without him noticing. I mean, if you install an exhaust (or even just an aftermarket performance muffler) it will be loud and visible. If you install an intake it will be louder and visible if he opens your hood (especially since, as you say, he knows his cars).

Either install those things anyways and take the beating he gives you, or don't do anything at all.
Honda-Tech Member

you could do a sneaky pete set up like dom did in the f&f 1 hazzrd button for engagement and all. your dad would never find that.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im stuck with a D (giddyup21)

yea in your situation just hold off save some money and when u turn 18 swap it and boost it lol
Old 08-16-2007, 08:12 AM

I was there about 3 years ago, I feel your pain. I just told my parents that I was not going to race on the streets and that I could be doing things that were a lot wores. they came around but it took a while. frist I could do nothing, then just show mods, then engine but turbo and spry. after while they stopped caring what I did because they saw that I was having fun and staying out of trouble. good luck let me know if I can help in any way I feel your pain. Good luck
Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pynikal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pynikal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could do a sneaky pete set up like dom did in the f&f 1 hazzrd button for engagement and all. your dad would never find that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, until one day when his dad is driving the car to get groceries or something. Blows out a tire. Pulls to the side and hits the hazard button.

What a surprise he will be in for.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andoxviii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, until one day when his dad is driving the car to get groceries or something. Blows out a tire. Pulls to the side and hits the hazard button.

What a surprise he will be in for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL

thats your way to a b series.
and it would be his fault!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have fun with it being stock lol, once in a while I have fun with my y7. I don't know if you could use fun and y7 in the same sentence though.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lasty K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lasty K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have fun with it being stock lol, once in a while I have fun with my y7. I don't know if you could use fun and y7 in the same sentence though.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

He has a y8, not a y7. Atleast he has vtec.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He has a y8, not a y7. Atleast he has vtec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I read that he has a y8. I'm just saying, I had fun with my y7.

If I had fun with it, he should be able to have some more fun with a y8.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, is he against any suspension upgrades? You could just upgrade the thing until it handles like a miata. Other than that, I say the only thing you will really be allowed to do would be to get OEM replacement parts until the entire car looks brand spankin' new. You could also do your best to get that y8 to run like new.

That brand new OEM look is just as good as any lip kitted, exhaust ridden Honda in my eyes. And it technically would be repairs, not upgrades.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lasty K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I read that he has a y8. I'm just saying, I had fun with my y7.

If I had fun with it, he should be able to have some more fun with a y8. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I will agree with that. Honestly, a cold air intake make a big difference with the y7 and y8. I had mine installed right into the fender. I'm not saying there is a huge performance difference, because if there is its pretty negligible. But when you floor the throttle, the motor just opens up and SCREAMS! Even if you're not actually moving very fast....atleast it sounds like you are lol
Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im stuck with a D (nix94delsol)

yeah my dad knows what a nitrous bottle looks like. his main concern is that if i start to mod the car then it will lose its dependability which is not true if the work it done right he also doesn't want it to be a money pit he wants all my cash going into college. i may end up doing some work on my internals when im down at school this year b/c he wont know about it, the only problem is finding a good shop and the money to get the parts and to install it. i do plan to turbo the car so ill jus start to strengthen the internals to hold a higher boost thanks for the help any good places to find cheep good parts more specifically a cam and springs and valves?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Bahahaha, I remember taking off the airbox off my y7's intake. That thing sounded pretty mean, but I put it back on for mpg
Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was going to do suspension but it is going to be a DD but maybe i can talk him into me doing that my shocks are starting to go in the car now. also i live in Chicago and go to school at Eastern Illinois university in the middle of a corn field we do get a lot of rain down there so i cai is no good for me.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (SpeedoKing)

Good shocks, some mild springs like tein s. techs or H&R sport, and sway bars. It will increase the fun factor a lot more than intake and exhaust would.

Just tell you're dad you wanted to lower it a little.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good shocks, some mild springs like tein s. techs or H&R sport, and sway bars. It will increase the fun factor a lot more than intake and exhaust would.

Just tell you're dad you wanted to lower it a little. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (takea$wigg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by takea$wigg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

yeah that's a good idea, and it wouldn't be too expensive or damage the reliability of the vehicle.

you could also rely on the fact that your dad has more experience with life and might be correct in telling you not to waste your money, that you'll probably regret it if it comes down to money for car mods versus money for having fun / taking girls out / paying for books / school supplies / not eating at the dining hall every night at college. some of the money i put into my car i regret, some of it i think was a good choice. don't do it just to do it... do it because you want to see the difference in your car, and you don't think you'll regret it in 6 months and wish you had the money back. modding Hondas for the most part does not add value to the vehicle.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (giddyup21)

especially if its your first or only car, dont expletive with the engine just yet. There is plenty of time to that stuff later on.I mean simple little bolt ons are ok but nothing big like turbo, or fully built race engine. You need a reliable car, if you want to fix up a car, save up buy a shell and figure out what you need to do to it. Take time and help yourself learn, and on the way maybe your dad can show you a little bit.Then if you screw up on something youre not in the *******, cause you still have a reliable car.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 AM

what about him just swapping out the intake manifold and throttle body for a bigger one off of another honda? I did that with my crappy motor...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (metroya_performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metroya_performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about him just swapping out the intake manifold and throttle body for a bigger one off of another honda? I did that with my crappy motor... </TD></TR></TABLE>

He's already got the best oem intake manifold he can get.

A TB would really only increase throttle response, true gains would really be minimal.

Quick Reply: im stuck with a D