Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm not a Honda guy, help me out please

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm not a Honda guy, help me out please

I'm a VW guy but my girlfriend has a Civic and I do all the work and maintenance to it, I'm looking for a reputable and cost savvy website for replacement parts. Also her car is a 98 EX manual trans with about 223,000 miles on it so I'm thinking about replacing or upgrading the engine (I believe its a DY16?), where can I get a good replacement engine and what would be the best swap if I wanted to upgrade it for her? I'm not looking for looking for crazy expensive swaps just something that will give her a little more fun in driving the car. What can I expect to spend as far as replacing or swapping (assuming I'd be doing all the work)? Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm not a Honda guy, help me out please

right now you have a d16y8
you can go GSR b18c1 or b16a
Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For parts, a lot of people just play the online stores, ebay, craigslist against their local Dealers. The prices vary on different things

I have heard a lot about this site for parts.
Majestic Honda - http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

I personally bought an engine from http://www.hmotorsonline.com/ so I would recommend them for sure.

and...
Originally Posted by Ruben19
right now you have a d16y8
you can go GSR b18c1 or b16a
Your saying he cant put a h series, k series, or d series in his car? he can only go with B series?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2 sites above are the best. If your on the west coast you can use slhondaparts, but majestic is the cheapest and they are in R.I. Really good with orders too, I've ordered same crazy little parts and they always get it right.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think he mentioned a K series since it would cost a lot to swap everything for a K engine. A B series engine should be more than enough
Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B series
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can get a jdm sohc vtec from hmotorsonline for like $500 plus shippng to where your at. Their customer service is extremely good and they're pretty cheap

You can swap in a b18b(dohc nonvtec with about 25 more lbs of torque than a d16 with similair mileage) for about $1500.

But if you just want a replacement go with the jdm d16 for $500-$700
It will definitely be "more fun" than your current setup with 1/4 million miles on it
Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtimekillzxx
I'm a VW guy but my girlfriend has a Civic and I do all the work and maintenance to it, I'm looking for a reputable and cost savvy website for replacement parts. Also her car is a 98 EX manual trans with about 223,000 miles on it so I'm thinking about replacing or upgrading the engine (I believe its a DY16?), where can I get a good replacement engine and what would be the best swap if I wanted to upgrade it for her? I'm not looking for looking for crazy expensive swaps just something that will give her a little more fun in driving the car. What can I expect to spend as far as replacing or swapping (assuming I'd be doing all the work)? Thank you in advance for your input.
Sorry to hear about the VW thing. That SUCKS. Anyway...

Your GF's 98 EX has a D16Y8. 127hp. ~7200rpm rev limit. Leave the engine alone. 223k miles is fine if the car has been taken care of.

There's a FAQ on swapping engines at the top of the homepage for this forum. Check that out. If you need to ask more specific questions after reading, it will be easier to answer them.

This is the equivalent of me asking you which engine I should put in my Golf without saying anything else specific (it's a hypothetical question, I'd never even go near a Golf).

I can tell you, however, that your GF has about the nicest of the SOHC motors. So a cheap upgrayyedd is out of the question. To move up from the Y8, you'll be looking at a B series swap which involves new mounts, trans, ECU, linkages, accesories, manifolds, etc. Companies do sell complete swaps. Figure like $1200ish for a non VTEC 1.8L. The prices for B series VTEC motors start at ~$1800ish for OBD2 B16As (similar to the engine in the U.S. 99-00 Si). They go up to around $4500 for 1.8L Type R swaps.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95EG690022
I dont think he mentioned a K series since it would cost a lot to swap everything for a K engine. A B series engine should be more than enough
I guess, but H is not that much more. Your already buying mounts and axles.
I was just offended that he was like 'B series is your only option'
Leaving out the d15b or h22
Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 AM
New User

Hey don't Sh*t on the dub, lol, I have a handfull of them (besides I'll only personally own german cars) and they are a PITA at times but they never cease to amaze me. Like I said it's my gf's car, I'm not looking for any crazy or intricate swaps, I basically wanted to know what my best route to go would be IF and when I replace her engine for a little more fun, she personally doesn't care whats under the hood, a car is a car to her. So say I keep the D16Y8 (or replace it with the same), what would be the best mods to give it some more *****? Personally I love driving it but I can never leave anything as it is.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:15 AM

Really the only thing you can do to single slams is go F.I. But with 220k miles....Iduno if I'd go F.I.

F.I. can be complicated no matter how many miles you have on the car. Especially if it's your GF's car.

What I find funny is that you said your GF doesn't care what's under the hood but you want to give the car more *****. MAYBE deep down inside, you're a closet Honda guy? It's cool. My friend recently traded his 08 GTi for a 09 Civic Si and he couldn't be happier. He has a car that, in his own words, "doesn't have to be in the shop for a few weeks once every month or two".

Maybe you should hop over that fence too. Stop modding your GF's car and just buy what you really want allready.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get another y8 and boost it
Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 AM

...it's his GF's car. She doesn't care about cars. Why complicate things for her by having to worry about the problems that come with boosted cars?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

I'd swap with a b18b or a b20z. Both fairly cheap and torquey.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I second the b18b.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How bout' just change the oil and give it a wash/wax. If she's into cars, then I'd think about a swap. In my personal excperience, girls only care if it looks pretty.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ferio252
In my personal excperience, girls only care if it looks pretty.
I personally know a couple of girls that would strongly disagree with that...

As far as the OP is concerned, if you want more power, swap in a B-series, everything fits like OEM, because everything will be OEM, no poor axle angle and aftermarket/custom mounts like the H-series. No K-pro like the K-series. No turbo crap to worry about.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol im sure some girls like to get their trucks dirty. but yea leave the y8 in it. if not get a ZC engine.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
New User

I never said I didn't like Hondas, I do like them, I've been considering buying a 97-01 Accord for quite some time (can you convert the 6 cyl to a manual trans from an Acura or something?), as far as the comment made about having the VW in a shop everyother month, it's not a stereotype, it's the f***ing truth and it's pushing me to insanity but once you put so much money into a car there's really no turning back, you can't sell it because you invested so much time and money into it and you hate the thought of the continuing problems.

Anyway I'm really thankful for everybodies input, you're alot more friendly and helpful then, oh I'd say about 75% of the VW forum I belong to, but then again I try to ask the right questions. When I do (and I will, I promise) get a honda you'll see me floating around the board more and more