Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine..

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine..

Alright... i'm getting really frustrated lately because I can't seem to make up my mind on what I want to do to my engine.. I'm looking at not trying to spend more than 5k on it.. sooo...

if i go:

n/a: then I can "hide" my power very easily, and nobody will know whats done to the engine... but should i go with a stroker kit, gude head package, put a b18 or b20 bottom end on, etc.

turbo: lots of power, but everyone will know.. won't get as much respect because the power was just "bolted on" quick and easy.

nos: no way. people "dawg" on people with nos and alot of back talking goes on, plus i DON"T want to hear "your cars just fast cuz you've got NOS" from the stunnaz out there. There is always ways of hiding the NOS, but i would only do that if my engine was built to handle it.

I want to be in the 13's, for sure. If i can get lower, well i'd love that too... but i just can't decide what to do. Right now my engine sits completely stock, even a stock intake and header

please help me decide.
thanks
Old 09-08-2002, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (grinched)

why does everyone have to know your turbo?
flat black IC and piping
very stealth BOV
they will only hear the spool but by then youll be long in front of them
Old 09-08-2002, 04:35 PM

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (KAMiN)

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to be "sneaky"?

Street racing?

If you have $5000 to spend, you can easily do a decent turbocharger setup. That would get you some nice times...
Old 09-08-2002, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (delsolguy)

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to be "sneaky"?
When I get my turbo, the intercooler is getting painted flat black, know why??

Shiny **** attracts theives!!!

No matter what it is, my friends chrome valve cover stems get jack a lot, my black one, untouched, chrome get jacked of of my friends cars, my dark gunmetal painted one, untouched, chrome license plate surround on friends car, jacked, my smoked sheild/black surround combo, still on my car, untouched.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nos: no way. people "dawg" on people with nos and alot of back talking goes on, plus i DON"T want to hear "your cars just fast cuz you've got NOS" from the stunnaz out there. There is always ways of hiding the NOS, but i would only do that if my engine was built to handle it.
Why everyone hatin on the giggle juice . It makes me happy
Old 09-08-2002, 05:13 PM

Pound for pound , dollar for dollar... You seem to be well aware that Boost typically gives you the best bang for buck... Especially in a 5K budget situation.
I personally choose n/a because of maintence and dependability.
5k will get you a lot w/ b16a engine. +Weight Reduction, weight reduction, Weight reduction! Will put you closer to the 13 sec mark you want.
For N/a , a good bet could be
1: a Port flow head package> valves, springs , retainers, port/polish. All for ~900
2. Used Toda spec B Cams W, Gears. ~ 500-600 I think maybe less!
3. A b18c5 Complete block w/ internals if you can find it. Or Gsr W/ internals. Then> Sell Your B16a block w/ internals. regain some mula
4. Apex Vfac , Tuned ecu, Hondata.. whatever...
5. Civic Type R pistons. Or Toda, or Endyne are good choices!
6. Integra R intake manifold and throttle body. Aem intake, Good header and exhaust.. You could get into high-mid 13's pretty easily..
Old 09-08-2002, 09:21 PM

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (C5_ALLMOTOR)

throw that block in the river, purchase an itr shortblock, or a b20 block and get some pistons
You could get aprox 400-500 for a b16a block w/ internals!
Old 09-08-2002, 09:41 PM

My plan for my b16 is a b20 with some goodies
Old 09-08-2002, 09:50 PM

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (SpoonFanatic)

Pound for pound , dollar for dollar... You seem to be well aware that Boost typically gives you the best bang for buck... Especially in a 5K budget situation.
I personally choose n/a because of maintence and dependability.
5k will get you a lot w/ b16a engine. +Weight Reduction, weight reduction, Weight reduction! Will put you closer to the 13 sec mark you want.
For N/a , a good bet could be
1: a Port flow head package> valves, springs , retainers, port/polish. All for ~900
2. Used Toda spec B Cams W, Gears. ~ 500-600 I think maybe less!
3. A b18c5 Complete block w/ internals if you can find it. Or Gsr W/ internals. Then> Sell Your B16a block w/ internals. regain some mula
4. Apex Vfac , Tuned ecu, Hondata.. whatever...
5. Civic Type R pistons. Or Toda, or Endyne are good choices!
6. Integra R intake manifold and throttle body. Aem intake, Good header and exhaust.. You could get into high-mid 13's pretty easily..
that sounds good to me basicly what i was thinking.. but.. this is in a del sol.. and i've heard that you shouldn't do any weight reduction over 200lbs... also, i want dependablity.. thats why i was leaning towards n/a..
Old 09-08-2002, 09:51 PM

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (delsolguy)

[Modified by grinched, 6:51 AM 9/9/2002]
Old 09-08-2002, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (grey16)

you can do like the diamond start people and plumb the bov back into the system so you won't get that sound. personaly i have always though of getting an aem sbypas valve and cutting out a part of it large enough to hold the bov and hten mounting the bov on the udersides of hte piping. the take your cut up aem bypass valve and place it over the bov so that it hides everything from someone looking under the hood. you could compleate the look with an aem sticker if yo wanted. (i hope all of that made sence) now i have seen pics of people useing the vx exhaust manifold to mount turbos. it makes the turbo sit a little lower and you can put your heat shield on. at first glance no one will notice you have a turbo system.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (snail)

turbos not cheating, its just an excuse for all motor peeps when they lose to the turbo folks
Old 09-09-2002, 06:55 AM

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (bretx0r)

turbos not cheating, its just an excuse for all motor peeps when they lose to the turbo folks
May be some good truth in that statement. I wouldnt say its cheating, but It would be too easy of a solution In my opinion) and nos is the same way. But when one wants the thrill of sick speed, turbo / nos is a wise way to go. I am no one to knock someones style.
But me, I would feel more gratification and satisfaction, beating cars with n/a power and all Oem internal parts! My town has a ton of punks w/ v8s that walk around mumbling phrases like "man I ate that civic it tasted yummy" .. Or the classic " the rice mobile got spanked" .I hear they get license plates like "8AHonda" ..."VtecThis"...
The sad thing is those v8s are slow considering they have all that displacement and still are in 14's-13's range.
No one in my town is serious about building a fast Na honda so I plan to show these punks I can beat um n/a 4 cylnder style. (Insert dr. evil laugh here) "mmmmwwwahhahahahahahaha"

[Modified by SpoonFanatic, 10:57 AM 9/9/2002]
Old 09-09-2002, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (C5_ALLMOTOR)

but who would want one is the question
I'm going turbo here in a few months, so the more spare blocks I gots, the better.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:23 PM

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (xThexHeadx)

but who would want one is the question

I'm going turbo here in a few months, so the more spare blocks I gots, the better.
See Told you, b16a blocks w/ internals are a dime a dozen but you can get a couple hundered buckaroos off em.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Please don't hurt me!

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (SpoonFanatic)

why u so worried on every 1 elses views of ur car ???? if ur here to impress people go some where else my car is all about me and i dont care what any 1 thinks of my car

ill be turbo in decemeber
Old 09-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Maverick

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (b18ccivichb)

good call
Old 09-09-2002, 03:00 PM

Personally, I'm doing the all-motor thing. But like someone said on this post, it's fairly easy to hide your turbo setup. Flat black heat shield, black piping, DSM side-mount intercooler, silent-vented BOV...

It's all on you and how you view building engines. For me, it's all about NA.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:36 PM

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (JDM B-Series)

personally i'd rather go n/a because i have alot of respect towards others that have gone n/a..

btw, i couldn't care less about what others "think" about my car/setup. I'm just shooting for to be fast and not noticable.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:43 PM

turbo: lots of power, but everyone will know.. won't get as much respect because the power was just "bolted on" quick and easy.

Racing for respect

Race because it feels good to go fast!! Race Because it feels good to win, Respect? Its all money anyways just a pissing contest, who ever has more money will go faster so I dont see how racing will get you any respect All motor Or Boost, And if you do want and get more respect the All motor route, will you be dropping your block off, gapping the rings, installing every single part of that motor, then dropping it in your car and THEN tunning it? If your going to just drop it off at some shop and then go get it 4 months later why would YOU get any respect?
Old 09-09-2002, 04:49 PM

Default Re: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine.. (EneMy X)

Racing for respect
Old 09-09-2002, 05:16 PM

Racing for respect

Race because it feels good to go fast!! Race Because it feels good to win, Respect? Its all money anyways just a pissing contest, who ever has more money will go faster so I dont see how racing will get you any respect All motor Or Boost, And if you do want and get more respect the All motor route, will you be dropping your block off, gapping the rings, installing every single part of that motor, then dropping it in your car and THEN tunning it? If your going to just drop it off at some shop and then go get it 4 months later why would YOU get any respect?
Good point! But before you scold someone..
not everyone has a place ...(garage to do their own work) or a friends place for that matter.. and thus... You have to pay someone to install your stuff. Also some have to work 65-80 freakin hours a week to pay for this crap! And have no time. We cant very well take a Honda mechanics course to learn how to build a motor, then do our own swap if we work a lot and do not have a garage.. and so on.l
Old 09-09-2002, 05:28 PM

Good point! But before you scold someone..
not everyone has a place ...(garage to do their own work) or a friends place for that matter.. and thus... You have to pay someone to install your stuff. Also some have to work 65-80 freakin hours a week to pay for this crap! And have no time. We cant very well take a Honda mechanics course to learn how to build a motor, then do our own swap if we work a lot and do not have a garage.. and so on.l
Yo, I have to say I agree, sorry I didnt mean to come off as "Scolding someone" but ya know it just comes out that way on a message board because you cant hear my emotion's through text ya know....

But yea I agree, not everyone has the time, if you cant build your motor, then you better become that Bad *** driver so you can get some respect I will always respect the awesome drivers as well as the awesome engine builders, be it turbo/NA or whatever...

It takes allot to build an engine no matter what route, I do agree that getting power out of a 4 banger N/A is a harder task, but its not really to people like me and you because all we will do is follow a path that was set before us, Skunk, Spoon ETC ETC I will always respect cause they blazed the trail, they didnt just follow it, make power and be like "yea look at me respect this!"

[Modified by EneMy X, 2:32 AM 9/10/2002]
Old 09-09-2002, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're just looking to go fast, and smoke people on the street/strip, don't even worry about what they think. They can blame their loss on that fact that you're squeezing or boosting, but bottom line is, you smoked em. I used to have a stroked b16 (to a 1.9) in a CRX and it was a blast to drive. I did the motor behind closed doors, cause I used to street race all the time, I know, I know . I'd pop my hood and they'd see b16a, a DC header, and stock airbox, and under estimate my car. As far as nos, I wouldn't use it personally, but it works well, and can be hidden pretty easily, it can make almost any car a beast (until the bottle is empty). In the end, it's your money
Old 09-10-2002, 12:57 PM

(EneMy X)
Ok, I C. Sorry for getting upset.
Cool , you got a smart head on your shoulders brutha.
There is something about NA Vtec that brings tears of joy to my eyes !
The technology and sophistication of the motor is just awesome!

Quick Reply: i'm frustrated! What should i do with my B16a3 engine..