Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!!

UPDATE: Done! See below.... more pics now...

I'm not going to ask what's the best way to do it... because it's an opinion thing. I would, however, like to know how most people do it (with success of course).

A second thing, I'm going to have to use additional sealer when I reassemble because my lights get condensation. Will regular silicone come goop apart in the oven again like the factory sealer? I need to know this incase I ever want to do it again.

Take the poll for the first question... advice and horror stories are welcome

Modified by CycloneBlue_1.6EL at 5:19 AM 3/5/2005

Modified by CycloneBlue_1.6EL at 11:00 PM 3/5/2005
Old 03-03-2005, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

Lower temp longer. HIgher temps can melt them.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (Ricey McRicerton)

I was thinking the same thing myself. However, others who have done this before say that the lower temp for longer method makes the housing and the lens hard to seperate because it cools much quicker...
Old 03-03-2005, 05:55 AM
sifu pai mei

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

i used between 250-350 degree and a butter knife to pry it open
Old 03-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stay on the cooler side of 250 and you'll be alright.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also heard leaving them in scolding hot water for about 5-10 minutes works aswell... Without worrying about melting them... Might wanna try that first as theres no real risk... Just besure to dry them out completetly before u reinstall them or theyll condensate...
Old 03-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have done it twice i did it at 250 and layled the headlight on a damp cloth in the oven for about 4-5 mins. Just keep checking untill the glue is soft. It helps to pickout as much as you can defore you put the light in the oven cause it will break off in chucks when its hard and it becomes a stickey mess when its melted.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From being a hockey player this sounds like the same idea as changing a blade, just melt the glue. has anyone ever tried a heat gun? or those with alittle more time on their hands a hairdryer?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: (MAFDARK)

Ok, good enough for me. I'm going to use 220 for about 8 minutes and augment the melting/seperation process with a real heatgun (which I'm about to go buy). Thanks for all the advice, I will post pics and my results!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:10 AM

Okay then... I had some extra time tonight to do this. It only took about 2 hours including the removal of the bumper and lights.

My results: Good. I used 220 F for 8 minutes on each light, and they came apart so easily. The less heat more time method is what I would definitely recommend. When I pulled the lights out of the oven, they were cool enough to handle bare hand, and the lenses separated very easily, I didn't even need to use a flat head, they just pulled apart by hand. Some pics:

My front end... it's GONE!!!

The first light right after I pulled it apart:

The finished product without the amber lens:

Drying overnight:

They look 100% better without the full amber lens:

I will still be using amber bulbs because I don't want to get a ticket. This job was a whole lot easier than I thought it would be.

I'll post some more pics when I get them back on the car.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:54 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job dude!
Old 03-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (litterbox)

looks good.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (Built B16A)

Thanks guys. I'll be working on finishing it in a few minutes, I'll have pics of the finished product up before the end of the day.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:59 PM

Alright, take a gander. Don't mind the fact that my car is covered in salt, yes... it's winter and I'm in Canada. I just washed it on this past thursday. Anyways, here it is.

I installed some fogs when I had the bumper off.

I'm going to take some better pics of it when it's clean, and start a picture thread for my build up in the A/C forum. LMK how they look!
Old 03-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good to me.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (Built B16A)

Good job fellow ELer
Old 03-05-2005, 07:22 PM

What does baking your headlights do? Please excuse my ignorance.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (4door_ridin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door_ridin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does baking your headlights do? Please excuse my ignorance.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (4door_ridin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door_ridin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does baking your headlights do? Please excuse my ignorance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

absolutly nothing.

People bake them to open the housing up. With the housing open, they can paint the NON-REFLECTIVE chrome parts any color they want. Or in this case remove the amber reflectors. Basically its a cheap way to get black (or any color) housing headlights or clear corners.

It is important to seal the edges with silicone after, incase of leaks.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

absolutly nothing.

People bake them to open the housing up. With the housing open, they can paint the NON-REFLECTIVE chrome parts any color they want. Or in this case remove the amber reflectors. Basically its a cheap way to get black (or any color) housing headlights or clear corners.

It is important to seal the edges with silicone after, incase of leaks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any kind you recommend? I ask b/c the corner light lens came off my Sol the other day when I was working on the fender, it was odd as I just kinda came off without effort. I was glad to be there to see it happen.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Basically its a cheap way to get black (or any color) housing headlights or clear corners.</TD></TR></TABLE>

modifiying the OEM headlights still gives you great OEM quality parts, and not some cheap plastic aftermarket headlights. i baked my headlights in my integra to retrofit some BMW X5 HID's into my headlights.. still OEM quality.

(check my sig for my HID's)

and re-sealing the headlights only consits of alittle clear calking, or silocone.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any kind you recommend? I ask b/c the corner light lens came off my Sol the other day when I was working on the fender, it was odd as I just kinda came off without effort. I was glad to be there to see it happen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just go to your local auto store and pick up a tube of generic silicone. In my case, I used regular clear as opposed to RTV or other high-temp silicone because I want to make sure I can get them apart again for the HID retrofit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">modifiying the OEM headlights still gives you great OEM quality parts, and not some cheap plastic aftermarket headlights. i baked my headlights in my integra to retrofit some BMW X5 HID's into my headlights.. still OEM quality.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pick any reason you want. OEM quality is a good reason for you to DIY. Another reason (in my case) is the fact that there are absolutly NO aftermarket headlights available (that I have seen anyways...) for the 1.6EL. Another good reason is I have no $$$ to do anything else. All the $ is being devoted to my turbo project. I like the "OEM quality" reason best though.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

came out nicely
Old 03-06-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Poll: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!! (HoodsiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HoodsiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">came out nicely </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, sir I think they look 100% better than before. I was worried about being able to see the 194 bulb in the corners, but they actually turned out nice.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

modifiying the OEM headlights still gives you great OEM quality parts, and not some cheap plastic aftermarket headlights. i baked my headlights in my integra to retrofit some BMW X5 HID's into my headlights.. still OEM quality.

(check my sig for my HID's)

and re-sealing the headlights only consits of alittle clear calking, or silocone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will agree that you are maintaining OEM quality of fitment. But you are sacraficing the performance and logetivity of the product by baking them.

You are hardening the plastics to a degree, making them more brittle - maybe negligable, but still.

You are also removing the factory seal, which I think is better than the silicon IMO.

granted, we are not talking leaps and bounds of effects. But the quality is not OEM any more, the fitment is.

Quick Reply: I'm about to bake the headlights... some opinions please!!!