Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ignition Tumbler replacement w/out Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Tumbler replacement w/out Key

Ok, so I have searched high and low, looked on every site that I can think of, and still I have not found a concrete answer. I know that the subject is taboo because of thieving bastards, but this is my final attempt at a resolution.

My problem is this:

I purchased a 98 EK. It came with 2 keys. One for the ignition, and another for the doors. I went to take the car for a ride one day, and the Igniton key was no longer on the ring. It must have broken off, and I never noticed (not my DD). I took my owners card and title to the dealership, and had new keys cut. They will open the door, but DO NOT start the car. Apparently the ignition tumbler was replaced at some point with a unit that does not match the Original. I purchased a new tumbler. I have fought for days now to try and get the old one out. It is NOT out. It is still in. How on God's green earth can I get it out without going to great lengths.

Please, if you posses this knowledge contact me via PM. All haters feel free to blast away on this post. I know it's coming. I have just hit a wall, and need some help.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition Tumbler replacement w/out Key

Originally Posted by PGH95EG8
Ok, so I have searched high and low, looked on every site that I can think of, and still I have not found a concrete answer. I know that the subject is taboo because of thieving bastards, but this is my final attempt at a resolution.

My problem is this:

I purchased a 98 EK. It came with 2 keys. One for the ignition, and another for the doors. I went to take the car for a ride one day, and the Igniton key was no longer on the ring. It must have broken off, and I never noticed (not my DD). I took my owners card and title to the dealership, and had new keys cut. They will open the door, but DO NOT start the car. Apparently the ignition tumbler was replaced at some point with a unit that does not match the Original. I purchased a new tumbler. I have fought for days now to try and get the old one out. It is NOT out. It is still in. How on God's green earth can I get it out without going to great lengths.

Please, if you posses this knowledge contact me via PM. All haters feel free to blast away on this post. I know it's coming. I have just hit a wall, and need some help.
you need to drill out the shear bolts in order to assess the steering lock assembly:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x97-012e.pdf
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that would definitely work IF I had the original key. I understand that it would make stealing Hondas even easier if this was cut and dry. I may stop at the local dealership to see if they have an easy resolution to this. With everything else on a Honda being so easy I guess I'm just perplexed as to why there is no simple answer to this problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PGH95EG8
Yes, that would definitely work IF I had the original key. I understand that it would make stealing Hondas even easier if this was cut and dry. I may stop at the local dealership to see if they have an easy resolution to this. With everything else on a Honda being so easy I guess I'm just perplexed as to why there is no simple answer to this problem.
I dont understand, using the instructions above, you should be able to remove the entire old tumbler, you said you had keys cut to the original tumbler? you said you tried everything for days, can you give details on which part exactly you are stuck on?

In addtion to the tumbler, I think you will probably need to replace the steeing lock assembly as well then if you really cant get the old one to unlock.

Once you drill out the shear bolts the whole steering lock assembly will come off. New steering lock set runs like $150

Last edited by sweesiong78; 09-09-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Call a locksmith, have them rekey the ignition with the door locks.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Call a locksmith, have them rekey the ignition with the door locks.
Is this possible without removing the tumbler? I called a locksmith, told him my situation, and he said there was nothing he could do. I've read that a "jiggler" key is the only way I'm going to get the ignition to turn. I've tried to jiggle about 30 different Honda keys in the ignition, and I'm still searching for an answer.

I did have keys cut from the VIN, but the tumbler that I'm trying to replace is NOT the original. Hence the problem. If I had the right key I wouldn't have a problem. The LOST KEY and tumbler that I'm trying to replace worked just fine.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove steering colom and take to a locksmith. No drilling, no problem. Did this several times and didn't cost 50 bucks here. It's just time to r and r the colom.