Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ignition is making clicking noise, car starts sporadically

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (HELP) car starts sporadically(not usual, advise wanted)

my car starts for the most part. this isn't a usual starter problem. my car starts for the most part. could the battery be old. this has been going on for a month now. i have to turn the key a couple of time until the car starts sometimes. right now it won't start now

Modified by eternaljihad at 1:06 PM 7/9/2004

Modified by eternaljihad at 1:07 PM 7/9/2004
Old 07-09-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Re: (HELP) car starts sporadically(not usual, advise wanted) (eternaljihad)

what?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Re: (HELP) car starts sporadically(not usual, advise wanted) (eternaljihad)

Explain it a bit better. are you saying that sometimes when you start it, it will just click real fast. THen after a couple of tries, it will start?????????

fs
Old 07-09-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: (HELP) car starts sporadically(not usual, advise wanted) (filthy_shovel)

yeah what happens, at first i would have to try once or twice to start the car. if i cut the car off when i go to class when i come back it might take a couple of tries to start the car. there is a click, everything comes on but the car. if i'm lucky on the second or third or fourth try the car will start. but if i mess with the battery wires the car cuts on most of the time, it just now stopped.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there any build up on the battery terminals? Blue or green fur, corrosion, or a loose rusty connection? You could get a battery test done at autozone i think for free. Worst case secnario it is your starter or alternator. It just sounds like a battery problem to me though.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Re: (HELP) car starts sporadically(not usual, advise wanted) (civic-si-2000)

i sure hope that it's just the battery. there is a sort of green looking powdery whatever the hell type of stuff around the + - chargers. i have an alarm and i runs like crazy, sometimes i leave the lights on for a whole minute. the same battery has been on the car since i've had it(a year and a half). how did you get Street fighter alpha ken on your picture thing.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:41 AM

clean your battery terminal with baking soda mix with water. then tighten the terminals, besure that when you try to move it to see if it loose. check all the grounds point for loose connection. now try to start the car and see what happen.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Re: (HELP) car starts sporadically(not usual, advise wanted) (2lua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> check all the grounds point for loose connection. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the grounds where?
do i clean with a toothpick preferably.
sounds good though
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 AM

This is what you do.

1. Go to your battery and tugg on the black wire at the battery? Is it tight, loose, broken, worn,... If worn or broken, replace it.

2. Unbolt that black wire from your battery and with a piece of sandpaper (220 grit or so) scuff the terminal on the battery and on the cable itself. What this does is make the surfaces new. Bolt it back to the battery

Do the same for the red wire +

3. find the starter and trace down the wire from the battery to that. Now tugg on it a bit. Is it tight, loose, broken, worn,... If worn or broken, replace it.

THe start the car.

fs
Old 07-09-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: (HELP) car starts sporadically(not usual, advise wanted) (filthy_shovel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Th

3. find the starter and trace down the wire from the battery to that. Now tugg on it a bit. Is it tight, loose, broken, worn,... If worn or broken, replace it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

excuse me if i don't know but where is the starter and how will i know that that's it(looks like what)
Old 07-09-2004, 11:14 AM

If you stand in front of the vehicle, the starter will be to your left, about half way down. Sorta looks like two cylinders one on top of each other like.

Maybe someone here has a pic.

fs
Old 07-09-2004, 11:21 AM

My car would crank a few before turning on sometimes, would even make that clicking noise you were talking about. One night I was driving my car home and it turned off on me. It turned out to be my distributor. Got a new one and fixed it all up. Do yourself a favor and check yours out, when my car died on me it was night time in a neighborhood you dont wanna leave your car in.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:30 PM

its a starter problem for sure! if u need to get from point a to point fix, try tapping it with a stick a few times. fix it soon or it may soon be a major problem. it is east to fix and no more than 100 bucks. once fixed the car will start like a champ!