Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ignition lock & gauge cluster swap on auto to manual conversion 93 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition lock & gauge cluster swap on auto to manual conversion 93 hatch

I have a 93 DX hatch. It used to be automatic, and I changed it to manual about a month ago. I just tried swapping out the automatic, non-tach gauge cluster with a standard gauge cluster that has a tachometer from a 93 Si. Also the ignition lock was broken during a theft attempt, so I am replacing the steering column and ignition switch with the ones from the Si.

DX dashboard w/ gauge cluster removed.

Front of both gauge clusters DX/auto top, Si/manual bottom.

Back of both gauge clusters DX/auto top, Si/manual bottom.

If you look at the backs of the gauge clusters, you can see that the auto/non-tach cluster has a large green plug for the prnd1 lights, but doesnt have the small green plug that is near the bottom center of the manual/tach cluster. I was wondering what that small green plug near the bottom center is for. It looks like the wire for the tachometer is the solid blue wire that is shielded with tan or beige plastic on the yellow plug. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Or maybe even let me know what the green plug is for?

Si ignition switch from the front of the steering column.

Si ignition switch from below.

DX ignition from passenger side.

DX ignition on drivers side floor.

My question about the ignition switch is why are they different? I removed the tumblers from the DX ignition switch and swapped them into the ignition switch from the Si, so now my DX key fits and turns the ignition. The problem is the DX ignition switch body has 2 more switches going to it. If you look at the pic of the DX switch body on the floor, you can see there is the one switch on the top that makes a beeping sound if your key is in the ignition and the door is open (the Si switch body has that switch on it also) but there is also a switch on the front, and one on the bottom. Does anyone out there know what the heck these are for? I cant find it anywhere in the service manual, and they werent even on the Si switch. Is it an automatic vehicle thing?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ignition lock & gauge cluster swap on auto to manual conversion 93 hatch (Dokta)

ok, first things first, just plug up the 93 si gauge to your dash, every thing will work fine. the green plug is for the auto dash to show when you are in drive, park neutral, etc...

as for the ignition, those extra wire are for the auto set up as well.
1 running to the locking mechanism, which prevent you from removing your key when the car is off but left in drive. the other is to allow the car to start when it is in park or in neutral.

both those wires can be bypassed since you have converted to manual from auto.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ignition lock & gauge cluster swap on auto to manual conversion 93 hatch (philosofy1)

Thank you for the quick response. I know the green plug on the side is for the prnd1 lights. But I was wondering what the smaller green plug on the bottom of the gauge cluster is for.

I have swapped over the ignition harness from the Si to the DX now, so all the plugs are accounted for.

After installing everything it all works, except for the speedo. So I'm going to troubleshoot that right now.