Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I'd really appreciate you guys' help, Paint estimates... please

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd really appreciate you guys' help, Paint estimates... please

alright, my buddy has been doing body/paint work for years and I'm having him save me some money, but I'd liek to know how much paint and clearcoat will be needed, so anyone who knows how many pints/quarts/etc will be needed to paint the following, let me know, or direct me to someone/somewhere who will know, thanks!...

-1/2 of a front bumper (previously painted from factory)
-1/2 a fender (previously painted from factory)
-2 of the OEM sideskirts which are black (this is all for a 99 Civic Hatchback)
-a new Type-r rear lip

also feel free to estimate primer for the rear lip and the sideskirts, I'd appreciate it,t hanks!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: I'd really appreciate you guys' help, Paint estimates... please (Naudlee)

A.) the guy won't paint half a panel. It's much easier to do the whole thing and the result looks better.

B.) it should take less than a quart, but not much less, so I'd just get a full quart (of the paint) and let him have at it.

C.) primer isn't necessary if he's painting a pre-painted panel. He'll probably sand it down and use spot putty on any dents before blasting it with the topcoat.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:29 AM

some lady hit my front passener side of my car, causing minor fender damage and a scuffed and scratched bumper. He looked at it and said he'd bondo the fender and paint, not sure if he meant the whole thing, and I know he did say he'd fix the scuffs/ding in the bumper and paint it and then "fade" it to it'd match perfect. Thats why I posted what I did, anyone have any ideas? And do you mean a quart for the whole job, all of those things?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:21 AM

not trying tobe a pain, but bump. I'd just liek to know how much $ I'm gonna spend on paint/primer, so I can figure out how much $ I'll be saving... thanks!

As of right now I'm guessing...
quart paint
quart clear
pint primer

how you feel ont hat too close to cutting it?

Modified by Naudlee at 11:55 AM 6/26/2006
Old 06-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Naudlee)

Your answer has been given. I don't see why you are seeking another.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: (Naudlee)

Yea he's gonna have to paint a whole panel due to paint matching. Painting half a panel can be done, the paint just wont match very well. From what ive read and been told by a few body shops,its best to use an adhesion promoter on any plastic peices such as side skirts that werent originally painted from the factory, then u just paint over that because sometimes the paint and primer will just chip off of plastic from the release agent in the molds. Oh and u can buy rattle can primer from walmart for 2.20 a can. Im not too sure on how much paint is a quart, it depends on where u buy it. I have a keystone automotive in my town so i could just run down there and get all the paint supplies i need(and they make new headlights,taillights,radiators and condensors). Maybe i'll give them a call tom. and see how much paint is.