Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

icebox CAI's - Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default icebox CAI's - Problems?

I was thinking about buying one of these (dont' ask me why...think I was just thinking about wasting money like it would be on my stock D16), but the first thing I stumbled on was this link:

http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_294113/tm.htm

Man, dat ****'s rediculous...that's the type of **** that would happen to me...definately...that's just what I need, my brakes to go, and of course it'd be my fault.....

I'm assuming that's ONLY for a neon SRT? THough whatever, point's quite simple, is there any other bullshit problems like this about civics that anybody knows about with their intakes? Like anything to STAY AWAY FROM? Or recommendations? Or how the icebox compares to a regular CAI?

I mean ****, the last thing I need is a 50 car pile up b/c I wanted 2 extra HP...

Any info is thx...and if your gonna be an ******* and reply with "search" - give me a "keyword phrase" that'll answer all this ****...

Old 08-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there will be no problems once so ever with using the iceman CAI on a civic...i had one on a 94 integra Ls for 3 years...it worked fine and was good in performance....Get it and dont worry....its a very good intake
Old 08-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: icebox CAI's - Problems? (Syndacate)

not on a civic!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i have a z6 also......... i went out and bought a nice lil aem short ram intake for my car thinkin o yea this will add like 8 horses... haha year prolly not i dont think it did a damn thing besides waste my money and look good... although now wit my dc 4-1 header and a quiet gsr muffler i can kinda hear vtec crossover........ imho if i done it over again i would of left it alone..... they dont react to bolt ons well unless turbo'd my .o2
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its hard for me to understand why people spend that much money when your car comes from the factory with one installed.......just gotta make a couple cuts......
Old 08-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its hard for me to understand why people spend that much money when your car comes from the factory with one installed.......just gotta make a couple cuts......</TD></TR></TABLE>

try and race someone with a intake...you'll definitely be slower unless your motor is stronger....btu intakes will always make more power...how much more is dependant on the motors demand over stock...
Old 08-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tempsohc)

intake goes nowhere near brake lines on a civic. Also, the SRT kid probably installed it improperly, its hard to believe an intake company would bring to the market an intake that could potentially cause such a problem.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:43 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tempsohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try and race someone with a intake...you'll definitely be slower unless your motor is stronger....btu intakes will always make more power...how much more is dependant on the motors demand over stock... </TD></TR></TABLE>

ROFL are you shitting me? An intake will always make more power? How much, 1whp? WOwowowoowooo. I'm rolling an LS with a 99-00 si airbox. I make no more power than if I have an intake. I feel no difference. The only power i feel with an intake is the power of that annoying whistle.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

Originally Posted by Eran

ROFL are you shitting me? An intake will always make more power? How much, 1whp? WOwowowoowooo. I'm rolling an LS with a 99-00 si airbox. I make no more power than if I have an intake. I feel no difference. The only power i feel with an intake is the power of that annoying whistle.
That's probably doutful b/c the air box ur using is made for a smaller engine.

Yeah, I didn't come here to argue about whether the D-series responds well to bolt-ons or not - In my opinion, it does not. In many others' opinions, it doesn't either. Though I have to say regardless of how shitty the D-series respond to bolt ons, I do feel there was a 1 or 2 hp diff after installing a short ram (aem filter)...or maybe it was just an upped throttle response - take your pick. Either way, regardless of what pple tell me I felt a **** hair of a difference, with that being said...

My point was only on the icebox cai, if anybody had it, problems with it, etc., now how well a D-series responds to bolt ons...

Originally Posted by instrument
its hard for me to understand why people spend that much money when your car comes from the factory with one installed.......just gotta make a couple cuts......
It's people like you that get me aggrivated, your probably the type of person that'll close out this window now, and then go order a JDM coin pocket for 250 bucks, please don't talk to me about wasting money.

Damn. Why must everybody critisize people's choices on what they put on their car. This is the reason I stopped bothering the JDM people over spending 400 bucks on folding mirrors or some **** like that which in my humble opinion is completely pointless but if they want to spend their money on it - power to them. Same with the punk *** ricers who wanna put a body kit on their car, I only like the body kits that are at pro car shows, where there's 80,000 dollar cars, and 40 speakers in the trunk, and **** like that, but if they wanna put their wal*mart body kit on it - more power to 'em, not my place to judge how they want their car to look - not my job to be the defender of all things Honda either, if that's waht he wants to do, let him do it, I'm not going to herass him and tell him he's wasting a perfectly good 13 year old honda chassis. More people should think like that...it really is a more effective way of looking at something.

With that said, I wasn't asking if it was worth it, or how much extra hp or throttle response or hp that I'm not getting or anything of the sort out of a CAI on my crappy POS D-series motor, I wasn't asking that at all (I suppose the views got distorted) - I was j/w if anybody had any problems with full wrap around CAIs...not like, problems with the cops in the **** traffic state of california, but like...engines blowing up and ****....y'know? Brake lines being cut....any important **** that I should know about or stay away from... In my opinion, an air intake is NOT worth total brake failure on a highway (like what happend to that dick in the original thread I posted) - it just isn't worth it, that kinda **** usually results in an accident.

So asside from hydrolocking is all I'm asking, anybody have any bad experiences or good ones from this.

I AM NOT asking how much hp it will give me or anything else of the sort.

If somebody wants to paint their valve cover red b/c they claim it'll reflect sunrays better and give 'em 40 extra whp on their slower than mine D16a1 and that's what they wanna spend their money on, MORE POWER TO 'EM.....

Damn, pple always be critisizing other people's ****.

I stopped doin dat ****, most of H-T should also. Do I think a parking poll is useless as **** on a bull? Of course, if I knew anything about hooking them up and some JDM freak wanted to put on on his car would I help him? Hell yeah I would. People need to learn the world doesn't revolve around them, it's their car, it's what they drive, if it's what they want, why tell them it's wrong? Please, if somebody's got the answer tell me, 'cause I don't ******* understand why...
Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 AM
HT White Ops

Smaller engine? By .2 litres .... and by the way, the b16 head is more free-flowing than my B18 head, so I imagine the airbox is a wee bit less restrictive than you think. Either way, it's a stock airbox on a stock motor. If i had my head decked and flowed, them maybe an intake would help it breathe better to a notiable ammount.

By the way, wasn't talkin to you, chief.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SRI...will make more power than a stock airbox anyday...back in the day they did a top speed test with a 92 civic si....all stock it could only go 119 or osmething after installing a aem cai....the car achieved 122 or 23....and we all know how much power it takes to achieve 3 mph...no matter where it is...it aftermarket wasnt any better than stock then why would erick aguilar and all other 9-10 sec all motor hondas not use the stock airbox from any vehicle...????...those guys are dumb.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:48 PM

the stock airbox works great. its only problem is when you go WOT its not as free flowing as an aftermarket intake. also since the aftermarket intake is bigger, it will flow more air but with less velocity.

try driving ur car with the intake and w/the stock air box. with the stock airbox u'll see its easier to let out the clutch n have more low end torque but wen u get on it, the intake will give the car more OMPH in the upper rpm range.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:51 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (STI champstar)

Thank you
Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

Syndacate

I've had a DC sports intake on my 96EX since 99. No problems what-so-ever. Get whatever company CAI you want, but in the end it's a CAI wether you spend $150 for a name brand or spend $30 on ebay for one. I'm not telling you that to flame you, if you like the ICEMAN... get it!! But imho i wouldn't. I'm pimpin a $30 intake from ebay and it serves the same purpose. But to answer your OP, LOTS and LOTS of people have CAI on thier civics... i know at least a dozen off the top of my head, never heard of any problems. Not on a civic.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah syndacate, thats why i chopped my stock airbox, added an arm from a 5 dollar ebay intake and made my own cai.

how bout you suck on the roll of quarters in my coin pocket.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BigRonDawg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigRonDawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Syndacate

I've had a DC sports intake on my 96EX since 99. No problems what-so-ever. Get whatever company CAI you want, but in the end it's a CAI wether you spend $150 for a name brand or spend $30 on ebay for one. I'm not telling you that to flame you, if you like the ICEMAN... get it!! But imho i wouldn't. I'm pimpin a $30 intake from ebay and it serves the same purpose. But to answer your OP, LOTS and LOTS of people have CAI on thier civics... i know at least a dozen off the top of my head, never heard of any problems. Not on a civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm running short ram right now w/ K&N filter...I don't wanna go full CAI b/c I don't wanna hydrolock Heard there are covers for it...but blah, I don't know. I don't want the threat that if I hit a puddle too hard I'm goign to total my engine.

EDIT:
I live in upstate NY, and when it rains, it RAINS....so there's a lot of driving on wet pavement, especially in spring/summer.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I'm running short ram right now w/ K&N filter...I don't wanna go full CAI b/c I don't wanna hydrolock Heard there are covers for it...but blah, I don't know. I don't want the threat that if I hit a puddle too hard I'm goign to total my engine.

EDIT:
I live in upstate NY, and when it rains, it RAINS....so there's a lot of driving on wet pavement, especially in spring/summer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i live out in florida, and trust me it doesn't rain like it does out here. it rains atleast once a day, usually heavy for about 20-30 minutes. i know it sucks.

as for the CAI, you have to literally drive it into a big *** puddle to hydro lock the motor. it actually takes some effort.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i live out in florida, and trust me it doesn't rain like it does out here. it rains atleast once a day, usually heavy for about 20-30 minutes. i know it sucks.

as for the CAI, you have to literally drive it into a big *** puddle to hydro lock the motor. it actually takes some effort.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Takes some effort, eh? What about this "cover" I keep hearing about, what's the deal on that? What is it, just a plastic shield?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

IDK anything about this cover, but i read in a magazine way back about the AEM crap that goes in the middle of the intake piping. they did a teat submerging the whole CAI from a NSX into a 10 or 20 gallon tank. the motor was still running, no hydrolock. maybe that's something to consider.