IAT is confusing me??...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAT is confusing me??...

According this diagram below;

#23 is the IAT(Intake Air Temp) 96-00 Civic EX

I'm currently using a 96-00 EX stock oem intake system on my 98 gsr hatchback. Also the car has NO CEL's. Please refer to pictures below:

/\This is how it's currently hooked up. An IAT sensor in the intake tube near the throttle body. This IAT sensor is from a 96-00 civic ex.

/\ The sensor I'm pointing to is the IAT for the GSR.

Problem is, I can't find the plug connector for the IAT on the gsr. I assume that the IAT from the civic being used, is functioning to replace the IAT for the gsr?

I unplugped the connector on the IAT on the intake tube. To see if it would fit on the IAT sensor on the gsr, which it wouldn't. So obviously plugged it back to the civic IAT.

Also, for the IAT sensor in the intake tube, can it be moved or re-routed somewhere else? I want to connect my charge pipings for my turbo setup. But can't do this if the IAT sensor is in the way. Cause I've never heard or seen any intercooler pipings with a bung hole for an IAT sensor. Unless you just drill a hole in the charge pipe for placement of the IAT.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

which engine harness are you using? the one for the civic? then you will not have the plug for the one in the IM, on the one in the intake arm.

no reason why you can't reroute and repin the plug and run the GSR IAT.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Relic1)

just to clear things up. the knock sensor plug, and the iat plug are near each other, be sure to not mix them up or youll end up having to replace both sensors
Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unless you have a harness I've never seen (doubtful) the knock sensor plug is one wire, the IAT is two wires, plus the general plug lay out is different. Not possible to mix up.

the IACV, IAT and EVAP purge will plug into each other, are about the same length and in same area.

OP: if you have it plugged into the IAT on the intake arm, it's obvious you have the right one, the other plugs that will plug into the IAT are not that long.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which engine harness are you using? the one for the civic? then you will not have the plug for the one in the IM, on the one in the intake arm.

no reason why you can't reroute and repin the plug and run the GSR IAT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure it was the civic harness. The swap was originally done by the previous owner. I want to reroute it somewhere, but how would I repin the plug to fit the gsr IAT?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longshot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just to clear things up. the knock sensor plug, and the iat plug are near each other, be sure to not mix them up or youll end up having to replace both sensors</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure I won't be mixing up the knock sensor and IAT plug.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unless you have a harness I've never seen (doubtful) the knock sensor plug is one wire, the IAT is two wires, plus the general plug lay out is different. Not possible to mix up.

the IACV, IAT and EVAP purge will plug into each other, are about the same length and in same area.

OP: if you have it plugged into the IAT on the intake arm, it's obvious you have the right one, the other plugs that will plug into the IAT are not that long.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, for sure the IAT in the intake arm is plugged correctly, cause there's no other plugs in the engine bay harness that would even fit it.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a teg/EG IAT plug (same thing) pull the pins out of your plug and put them in the other plug, or cut/splice.

the IAT/EVAP purge/IACV(2-wire) plugs are the same. so don't only look for a IAT plug.
Junk yard packet item.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good, but what I'm also thinking is if I do this. And the IAT on the gsr is bad, causing a CEL. I'd either have to buy a new IAT sensor(GSR) or re-do the wiring again, and plug it back to the IAT in the intake tube.