Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I WATER STEAM CLEANED MY ENGINE AND HYDROLOCKED *VIDEOS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I WATER STEAM CLEANED MY ENGINE AND HYDROLOCKED *VIDEOS*

Nah.. I didn't hydrolock lol. Anyways..

I was bored today and kept reading on where you can clean your engine using water. Many people swear AGAINST it because it will hydrolock your engine.. Bleh.. We all know that a tiny amount won't hydrolock an engine (Some of you swear that it could.) This isn't a DIY or anything, but just showing what I did to MY car to do this process.. I could convert this in DIY format but tired at the moment..

I let the car warm up, disconnected the brake booster line, filled a 1.5 gallon container with automatic sprayer with really hot water, then just started spraying away into the line. Process took a LONG time since you're not shoving a bunch of water at once. This process requires time and patience. Here are some vids.

(My car sounds like a v6 at times)

The 5th video hasn't finished processing yet so I'll update later. Anyways..

After I was done (I didn't use all 1.5 gallons but used about 1 gal) I went out for a spirited drive. As I was pulling out of my driveway and slowly driving down my block I started to laugh. I just could not believe on how smooth the car was when it picked up in rpms. At idle the car is QUIET. FLKJJLGLJKGJLKFKL When I start to accelerate, there's less buzzing inside my car. I could feel it ALOT less in the steering wheel.

Powerwise I don't know if it made any difference but I didn't bother trying to check for power increase.. I was just amazed on how smoothly the car ran.

I'm not telling anyone to go out and do this. I'm just simply posting what "I" did on my free time about an hour ago. If you wan to try this, go ahead. It's your engine. You CAN ruin the engine by adding too much water at once. I'll edit and fix up this post in a little. Just wanted to get this out there.

This is a pic of my bumper after cleaning the engine.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think most people steam clean the outside of the engine to get the grease off. Never heard of this to clean the inside.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm why would you do that? are you trying to blow it up?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

something about that just doesnt look right.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pynikal)

I know with motorcycles it is not uncommon to pour water directly into the TBs/carbs to get rid of carbon build up in the combustion chamber. I've done it many times and it works great. Hydrolocking an engine is much harder then most people think.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you really wanted to clean your motor...you should of just use seafoam...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dann6968)

Interesting
I've never heard of/seen this.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostedb20EH2)

Water is the old way and some still swear by it and use it often.

Cold water or hot water no matter either way.

Seafoam is my choice.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.automotiveforums.co...83211
http://www.berrysweb.com/steam_clean.htm
Old 08-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

Like many say, have you ever looked at an engine with a blown headgasket? Do you notice how spotless the piston/cylinder is of carbon?

Here are some pics of MY old D15B7 with a blown headgasket.

When I removed my head, this is what I found.^^^

Notice the piston on the right how it looks? The rust on the cylinders is because of the engine sitting out in the rain for days. I wasn't planning on using this engine anymore since i got a nearly new D16Y7

Do I believe it works? Yes of course. It's even been proven. Is it safe? Not if you don't know what you're doing. This is a risky thing to do if you're clueless. If you're someone who always has that concept in life "More is always better" then DON'T do this... You'll end up being hard headed and shoving more water than needed into the engine and BOOM...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM

this post is going to cost lot of people alot of money... if you want to be a dumb *** do this.. you sould be draged out in to the street and shot for posting this info.. you have to be the dumbest person in the world to try this.. you can get a real injection cleaning done for $20 why would you risk your motor to save $20...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely not something I would do
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY a steam clean engine treatment using water can hydrolock your engine.

You're not supposed to just dump a can of water in the intake, use a spray bottle, like windex, full of water, and just spray it into the throttle body (with the butterfly open a little) and use the whole bottle.

It CAN'T expletive up ur engine, it's atomized already, the heat will just atomize it further, it's a whole different ball game than pure water straight from a cup or something.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dann6968 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know with motorcycles it is not uncommon to pour water directly into the TBs/carbs to get rid of carbon build up in the combustion chamber. I've done it many times and it works great. Hydrolocking an engine is much harder then most people think.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it's the same exact thing as that. People do it on bikes, people do it on cars, ****, you can do it on a ******* lawn mower if you wanted to.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Water is the old way and some still swear by it and use it often.

Cold water or hot water no matter either way.

Seafoam is my choice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What's the difference?

A water based substance like seafoam, or water? You can hydrolock with seafoam too, it takes a hell of a lot of liquid to hydrolock an engine.

With that said, seafoam can be dangerous on older engines, especially high mileage ones. If sledge is keeping the rings together, and you blast all that **** off of there with seafoam - you'll have blowby - then you gotta rip apart the whole motor. Water won't clean it as good, so you don't have to worry about a blow-by effect from it.

Actually if you think about it, since seafoam is a water base, with extra chemicals added, it actually has a higher evaporation point than water. Therefore, it'll actually stay in liquid form (where it's possible to hydrolock your engine) LONGER than water would...so it's more dangerous than water if you think about it. And with the blow-by effect, on high mileage engines, it can be catastrophic to the engine when ran through the brake booster.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

This is completely safe, I would almost best if you TRIED to hydrolock a motor you couldn't do it. And as mentioned before if you have ever seen a motor with a blown hg you will know why this is so effective.

You water squirter OWNS!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some people just dont believe it unless theres a bandwagon backing it up i guess.

i cant agree with p00n anymore, this works
Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM

you know what im going to expletive alot of people over..

hey i been a honda certified mechanic for 28 years.. and im only 26.. i would recomend everyone to do this to there car... even if you have a $10k motor it works even better..
Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I WATER STEAM CLEANED MY ENGINE AND HYDROLOCKED *VIDEOS* (sageuvagony)

ur not suppose to use water. ahhaha. use seafoam. wtf u thinking
Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

Your an idiot^^
Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gezzuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezzuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this post is going to cost lot of people alot of money... if you want to be a dumb *** do this.. you sould be draged out in to the street and shot for posting this info.. you have to be the dumbest person in the world to try this.. you can get a real injection cleaning done for $20 why would you risk your motor to save $20... </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no difference between this and Seafoam or fuel injector treatments. All use fluids that only compress to a point and ALL can cause engine damage if used improperly.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoffer)

Its been done and it works. If you don't believe in it then don't do it.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

oh i can see this going bad very quickly for people
Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

people have been injecting water into engines for years. go to wikipedia and look up water injection. it takes more water then any of you think to hydrolock a motor. when mine hydrolocked the cylender was a quarter full. ad to that the fact that the water isnt even going to reach the cylenders in liquid form. steam can be compressed water cant. now if you pour a gallon into your car you deserve to blow it up. but putting a small amount of water through a tiny hose is almost fool proof.
ps... i even have the link for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W...es%29

Modified by slammed00si at 2:54 AM 8/8/2007
Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (p00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is completely safe, I would almost best if you TRIED to hydrolock a motor you couldn't do it. And as mentioned before if you have ever seen a motor with a blown hg you will know why this is so effective.

You water squirter OWNS!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is safe, as long as you know how to do it. I stressed it before but many people think you will hydrolock an engine, its not that simple.

I think its stemming from this thread where people said it can't be done, guranteed some people read the topic and were about to say, I told you so.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2047713
Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting idea. ive never actually seen anyone do it. brake booster is a cute idea, ive heard of the spray bottle intake side of the throttle body. the links in above post said pcv. sounds like you can just put it in anywhere and it works. principle seems sound enough to me.

Quick Reply: I WATER STEAM CLEANED MY ENGINE AND HYDROLOCKED *VIDEOS*