Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I think my shock is shot! Need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my shock is shot! Need some insight

So a few days ago on my way to work I hear this knocking noise coming from the rear of my car. After about a mile it stopped, so I didn't think anything of it. The next morning it did the same thing and stopped after a couple of minutes. This morning the rear-left side of the car was about an inch lower than the rest of the car. So this afternoon I went down under to investigate and found what I think is a busted shock. There's all this black junk around the bottom of the shock where it connects w/ the arm. And now I hear the knocking noise every time I turn. Has anyone been through this before that can give me some advice? How long could I ride like this before causing long-term or major damge? My car is a 2k civic ex sittin on eibach sportline & koni reds if it helps.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I think my shock is shot! Need some insight (DJtal Chaos)

yeah that would be your STRUT not shock. Dose the Same thing, but in a different way.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:41 PM

Default Re: I think my shock is shot! Need some insight (sohcvtec1995)

details, details, who has the time?
Old 12-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Trial User

Mine does the same thing. But I'm riding Neuspeed Race w/stock shocks. I'm a

little confused though what's the difference between struts and shocks. I know I

need new shocks, because 2.25" drop on stock shocks is not a comfortable ride.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJtal Chaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone been through this before that can give me some advice? How long could I ride like this before causing long-term or major damge? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Replace it. It's as simple as that. Shock, strut, schwhatevurr the terminology you want to use.

You can ride around for quite a bit of gentle miles without doing long-term or expensive damage. I've never ridden with a busted strut, but I'd imagine it throws off your alignment? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But riding with the busted strut will put load on other related suspension parts (i.e. bushings, springs) (and the chassis?) which would otherwise be absorbed by the strut. Obviously the longer you wait, the more less-than-typical wear you'll be putting on those parts.
Just replace it. You said they're Koni Reds? They're not even expensive. Go buy another one.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:30 PM

Default Re: I think my shock is shot! Need some insight (R_EG)

It throws the hell off my alignment! It'll be replaced within a week or so regardless of it being busted or not. But what would cause a shock/strut to bust? And is the black junk caused by the gas inside?
Old 12-30-2003, 04:38 PM
tangb2023

if it is gunk it might be your cv boot is busted.. plus u said it was popping while turning.... if it is your shock that is leaking it would be a finer oil.. like brake fluid.. i have never seen blown struts that have gunk around.. just oil..
Old 12-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJtal Chaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It throws the hell off my alignment! It'll be replaced within a week or so regardless of it being busted or not. But what would cause a shock/strut to bust? And is the black junk caused by the gas inside? </TD></TR></TABLE>

black junk caused by gas? no. it's shock fluid.