Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need some wheel measurements.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some wheel measurements.

Hey guys, I need y'all to do me a huge favor...

I'm looking to buy the Wilwood brake kit ( http://www.wilwood.com/products/kits...rabk/index.asp ), but after making a template for the caliper/ disc, I find that it doesn't fit inside my 16" Enkei RSE wheel. I know there are some 16's out there with alot of room inside them, but since I don't really pay attention to wheels (I like the ones I have), I don't know which ones they are. What I'm asking you to do is to print this out: http://www.wilwood.org/fl78.pdf and then make a full sized template from the measurements and see if it'll fit inside your 16" wheel and report back what you find.

In the mean time, I've heard that Rotas have lots of room? True? False? I'd like to stay 16" because I absolutly LOVE 225/40- 16 tires. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need some wheel measurements. (House of Boost)

man, look into the fastbrakes kit...it uses a wilwood caliper on a rotor they say will fit most 16" wheels. Actually i think they claim they will clear some 15's....maybe

www.fastbrakes.com
Old 12-12-2002, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need some wheel measurements. (BigZ88)

Diameter isn't so much the issue as caliper width. If I used the 4 pot calipers, which I want to, then I'd have to get some 13mm spacers. The wheels already have an offset of 38mm, so with the 13mm spacers, I'd be looking at an offset of just 25mm. Aside from sticking out and tracking like ****, this will wear out my wheel bearings like nobodies buisness. And this is my concern with the fastbrakes kit- they use the same calipers.

I know I'm limiting myself to 16's, but I know it can be done...
Old 12-12-2002, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree that it can be done...I have seen many people with the fastbrakes kit on this site....hopefully one of them can help. if not email Brian at fastbrakes and see what they have to say.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for 2nd shift.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:41 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to buy the Wilwood brake kit...
You planning to run at LeMans or something?
Old 12-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need some wheel measurements. (BlackDeuceCoupe)

You planning to run at LeMans or something?
No. Daytona 500. If'n Wilwood is good enough for dem good 'ole boys, then the sum'bitches is good enough for me!

But to answer your question, road racing, insane mountain roads, and 11 lbs. per HP dictate some big brakes. My brake budget cap is a grand, so why not go for the best?

*edit- and to add to it... brakes are the single most important part of a car. Why settle for some ghetto fastbrakes kit? Sure, they work. And it's cool. But it doesn't meet my personal standards, and that's pretty much what my decision comes down to- my personal standards.

[Modified by House of Boost, 10:52 PM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-12-2002, 02:20 PM
HT White Ops

...My brake budget cap is a grand, so why not go for the best?
Well, the starters, you aren't going to be able to stop your car if the brakes aren't hot...

SOURCE: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

...The true racing pad, used under normal conditions will be noisy and will not work well at low temperatures around town...

...The question remains, what pads should be used in high performance street car - relatively low temperature street pads or high temperature race pads? Strangely enough, in my opinion, the answer is a high performance street pad with good low temperature characteristics. The reason is simple: If we are driving really hard and begin to run into trouble, either with boiling fluid or pad fade (or both), the condition(s) comes on gradually enough to allow us to simply modify our driving style to compensate. On the other hand, should an emergency occur when the brakes are cold, the high temperature pad is simply not going to stop the car. As an example, during the mid 1960s, those of us at Shelby American did not drive GT 350 or GT 500 Mustangs as company cars simply because they were equipped with Raybestos M-19 racing pads and none of our wives could push on the brake pedal hard enough to stop the car in normal driving...
Old 12-12-2002, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can't answer my original question, don't bust my nuts. You're going in the wrong direction. Instead of assuming I'm going to run carbon discs and pads, why not ask me why I'm chosing Wilwood over fastbrakes or AEM?
*edit- After some musing, I've found a pattern in your posts. You cite websites and quote them directly, but have never used any information in your own words. This leads me to two conclusions- you're a desk racer and have never gotten your hands dirty under or in a car and don't really understand HOW and WHY people come to certain decisions, and the second conclusion is that you're not really that smart, so you have to rely on a vast resource of bookmarks. But I digress, please... get off my thread.

[Modified by House of Boost, 11:28 PM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-12-2002, 02:27 PM
Don't Trust Anyone

He just trying to save you from wasting your money on brakes you dont need.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need some wheel measurements. (SpoonSportsEH2)

He just trying to save you from wasting your money on brakes you dont need.
Well, two things come to mind... the Wilwood system utilizes (sic) pads that are meant for street performance and not nessicarily the race track. The compromise here is that they're not going to whistand racing conditions. Enter the larger brake. Larger brakes run cooler and require less pedal pressure, and this, from my experience and others, will offset the pads inability to work at higher temperatures. Over disced and under padded (reread my post to see what I mean before you comment on that) works out to a great system for a daily driver and a weekend warrior. No, it's not going to work as great as a FULL race setup, but everything is a compromise, and this is the best of both worlds. If I was going to waste my money, I'd buy the AEM Big Bullshit kit.

*edit- i kan spel.

[Modified by House of Boost, 11:31 PM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-12-2002, 02:34 PM
HT White Ops

...After some musing, I've found a pattern in your posts. You cite websites and quote them directly, but have never used any information in your own words...
If you 'muse' enough, you will realize it's a no-win situation. If I offer a personal opinion, then I'm asked for proof. If I offer proof, then they say it's a copy 'n' paste. If I offer proof based on personal experience, then it's anecdotal. Some ppl just can't handle the truth, and I would put you in that category.

So, enjoy your folly! I'm outta here...
Old 12-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I offer a personal opinion, then I'm asked for proof.
I never asked for a personal opinion, or about pad temperatures. I ASKED FOR THE ******* MEASUREMENT OF A WHEEL! Jesus H ******* Christ, I swear you go looking for arguments!

So, enjoy your folly!
Hardly a folly. Have you even driven a car with the Wilwood kit? Nah, don't bother replying because...

I'm outta here...
Don't let the door hit you in the ***.

[Modified by House of Boost, 11:38 PM 12/12/2002]