Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I NEED more power!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED more power!!!!!

I just recently got a 94' Del Sol, its got a d16z6 SOHC, with header short ram intake and a 2.5" exhaust. Its got a 5 speed tranny and its pretty quick(well i thought) but just the other day me and a buddy race(on proper racing grounds of course) and he drive a 98' cavalier with a SOHC 2.2 and i kept up for a bit but then he went right on past me. What should i do for more power quick without spending a whole lot of money?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Default Re: I NEED more power!!!!! (dillonG_B)

also you'll notice my S button doent work so well i forgot a few, and it headers and short ram intake
Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

swap or budget turbo setup

/thread
Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (thursday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thursday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">swap or budget turbo setup

/thread</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats right
Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dillonG_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also you'll notice my S button doent work so well i forgot a few, and it headers and short ram intake</TD></TR></TABLE>
You only have one header so you had it right the first time.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dillonG_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also you'll notice my S button doent work so well i forgot a few, and it headers and short ram intake</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, you had it right the first time its header.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:20 PM

ok, header but im saving for a turbo, and i just kinda wanted some stuf to put in there thats cheaper, i also want to do a swap down the road but for now i wanna make this one go fast to make some money off it.?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is all you need!!
octane booster!!

+ 40 hp!!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dillonG_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, header but im saving for a turbo, and i just kinda wanted some stuf to put in there thats cheaper, i also want to do a swap down the road but for now i wanna make this one go fast to make some money off it.? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, if you lost to a 2.2liter Cavalier something is wrong with your car or driving habits.

Check ignition timing, replace plugs, wires, do a tuneup, dump dead weight, etc.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unless you swap or turbo no parts you buy for the single cam are really going to make you faster.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah...for an NA d your cheapest option for somewhat faster would be to gut the **** out of it and make it borderline not street legal.

then it may hang with a stock b16 del sol haha!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 PM

Default Re: I NEED more power!!!!! (smileycvc)

also i thought id through this in there its a JDM engine(w/ low miles) and it V-tech but when im going i cant really tell the v-tech kicking in. mabey something wrong there?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Re: (thursday)

gut the **** out of it like strip it and border line not street legal...i want some details on this
P.S. My friends give me **** about the SOHC they actually call it my DEL SOLO
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (dillonG_B)

swap in a b20 and feel the torque whip you back in your seat
Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 PM

Default Re: (Midori Green)

i was thinking h22 but which has more power? either way dont have the cash for that right now.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you're going to need to read up, search is good my vtech friend.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dillonG_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking h22 but which has more power? either way dont have the cash for that right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the h22 has more power because its a bigger engine overall but the b20 is very cheap so my decision was easy i got the full motor for under 1k
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dillonG_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also i thought id through this in there its a JDM engine(w/ low miles) and it V-tech but when im going i cant really tell the v-tech kicking in. mabey something wrong there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ughh. another day of looking at the terrible v-tech. can we all from now on refer to it as v-tec? look on the valve cover. its not a phone, its a engine.

on to the problem. oil change? proper amount of oil for V-TEC to engage? better shifting? clean air filter? dirty iacv (since everyone throws that in there)? timing? any smoke out the back? give us something to work on
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Re: (davefromPA)

+1 for the complete tune up! When you first buy a car you should always do a work over of the fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, rotor and cap, etc.... This will not only make it run better but possibly save you in the long run if something may have been wrong from the get-go. I did all of that to my D16y8 in my 97 coupe and pretty much every bolt on possible, including and obd2-obd1 conversion with a chipped and tuned p28 ecu. This helped quite a bit to where i can hang with an SI. Try phearable.net great stuff for great prices. Even helps with gas mileage, Cant hurt when it's freakin 3.50/gallon! Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dillonG_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking h22 but which has more power? either way dont have the cash for that right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would discourage the h22 idea.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 PM

Default Re: (smileycvc)

h22 is very expensive... dont get me wrong power is great but when u done maybe cost u like 3k in stock form
Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the op is probly a 16yr old who just got his lisence and is on his way to get his first ticket.

ps. your parents will be so proud of you son
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (queda)

Hey we were all there... just some were more dumb than others at 16. I remember my first ticket . Although a few years later I still have my d16z6 engine and its still near stock . While its no 200hp beast its at least zippy and still fun...

Personally I'd go with buying suspension/tires etc first, I like driving and cornering fast, I'm not too worried how long it takes to get up speed. Never really been in to racing somebody especially on the street in a straight line. I'd rather challenge someone at an autocross event than a drag . Maybe when I get a new daily driver, I'll try and turbo the d16 just the engine is collecting too many miles. Of course depending on how far away that is b20s will be even cheaper .
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (davefromPA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davefromPA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ughh. another day of looking at the terrible v-tech. can we all from now on refer to it as v-tec? <u>look on the valve cover.</u> its not a phone, its a engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You know what's pathetic? You giving the guy **** about a commonly misspelled word here on H-T.

Wanna know what fuggin hilarious? You not taking your own advice.

I don't see a dash between the "V" and the "T"

I believe this deserves fail cat on you
Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">h22 is very expensive... dont get me wrong power is great but when u done maybe cost u like 3k in stock form </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you think that 3000 dollars is to much for a motor swap, you need to get out of the car game now.

Quick Reply: I NEED more power!!!!!