12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

I need to make a DECISION.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to make a DECISION.

Hey guys im in between a rock in a hard place. I currently have a 00 Honda Civic EX Coupe with a B16a2 swap. The Block is stock except for the Eagle crank and rods I planned on putting the CTR pistons in soon the head has Crane STG 2 cams, buddy club cam gears, blox valvetrain valves, springs, retainers etc, mild ported head, AEM V2, Blox FPR and gauge, Edlebrock Header and Throttle body, Megan racing full catback, Magna flow high flow cat, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, Zoom Stg2 Clutch, and Apexi VAFC 2. I have more I cant really remember the rest haha. My question is although the engine is good runs strong and ironically runs smooth even though its not tuned should I put the pistons in first and get it tuned and see where i end up or should I do something else. Its still a 1.6 which means not enough torque for me. Im lookin for more torque and I was wondering should I go with an ls-vtec setup or should I go with a B20-vtec setup. I want to have more torque but not over do it to where im snapping axles every other weekend. But like I said earlier the B16 runs very good quick off the line but I just feel like I need a bit more ***-end ya know. Those are the only options I could think of, so for you hardcore honda enthusiast out there I need the help, please point me in the right direction it would be GREAT..
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: I need to make a DECISION.

The way it is now I would get it tuned and I sure as hell would get it tuned after going through the trouble of opening it up again to swap out the pistons!

FWIW I would get something, ANYTHING bigger than 1.6L, B20 sounds good.

lol @ snapping axles every other weekend. This is a four banger not an LS1

Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO I'd stay away from slapping VTEC heads on LS or B20 bottom ends. Some people do successfully but most people that I've known just have problems. All this custom crap just to still be outpaced by a stock GSR swap.

So, LS-VTEC? Just get a GSR.

If you want real torque, get some sort of forced induction. If you want it from the bottom, get a supercharger but you'll have traction issues. If you're okay waiting to 3,000 or so, get a turbo - more adaptable and upgradable.

A supercharged B16 would eat your average LS-VTEC in both torque and power.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say, just tune ur b16. u might have some hidden torque in there waiting to be unleashed.
- what kind of rims are those? there sick
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

U have a honda, dont worry about torque. If u wanna go fast accent ur upper powerband and stretch that torque longer. nitrous wet shot is the best bang for ur buck without tuning. Sounds like u got some money, just turbo it and u will fall in love.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree. Top end is where its at. I love those wheels. IMO I would just keep the setup you've got now and get a proper tune. It will be a night and day difference.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i turboed my em1 last yr. still a torqueless wonder below 3500-4k but after that its a total different beast!! around 300 whp 200 wtq stock block with a garrett 57 trim
Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put an h22 in that thing
Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

57 trim sounds bout right. If ur on street tires and below 100mph, once that things kicks to the high cam it will b spinning no matter what. So what do u need torque for son?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya, its crazy.even on the low boost setting, i get bad torque steer. next thing on the to buy list is lsd lol

and thats on a stock b16! if the OP builds it, he would have WAY more then me
Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lude72
put an h22 in that thing
Put in a H22 *then* turbo it. Enough torque for pulling stumps LOL.

You'd need some really sticky tires to keep that under control.

Look up H2B if you want torque and don't like FI.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought about supercharging it but if I put the CTR pistons in, its a wrap. I see some of you said stay away from the LS and B20 vtec I did some research and to be honest with ya I dont like what im reading on the LS and B20 vtec forums. I know if I supercharge it that biatch will torque steer into a different zip code haha. On the other hand I would like to drop the pistons in the only thing is I have to keep it a secret from my girl she'll make me sell my car if she finds out i've put anymore money into it hahaha. Thanks guys for all the help if you have anymore suggestions feel free.

Last edited by hondaman991; 04-01-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you looked into any after market final drives to bump up the torque?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM

b20b-T do somethin nasty... just make sure u get the lifetime replacement cv axels from somewhere cause ur definently gonna break.. speaking from experience..
Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you willing to go forced induction, or set on NA? For turbo, you'll need totally different...just about everything. If you go H series, the bay will be sort of cramped from pictures I've seen. Even staying NA and making much more power will require a lot and then it's not as reliable for a daily driver. There are pros and cons to each option, it's really something YOU need to weigh out and make a decision about.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekftw
Have you looked into any after market final drives to bump up the torque?
ekftw. what do you mean by final drives for more torque can you explain what your talking about. It sounds like your sayin a different FD will result in more torque I have the factory 4.4 in now what would you recommend?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
IMO I'd stay away from slapping VTEC heads on LS or B20 bottom ends. Some people do successfully but most people that I've known just have problems. All this custom crap just to still be outpaced by a stock GSR swap.

So, LS-VTEC? Just get a GSR.

If you want real torque, get some sort of forced induction. If you want it from the bottom, get a supercharger but you'll have traction issues. If you're okay waiting to 3,000 or so, get a turbo - more adaptable and upgradable.

A supercharged B16 would eat your average LS-VTEC in both torque and power.
KORMAN! my favorite troll! when you suggest forced induction you have to factor in cost... for the same price of a sc'd b16 you could have a gnarly ls/v. i'd love to see that race. it would be pretty damn even.

the problem with sc's is that they dont make any big ones for hondas. you'll have trouble making over 250whp with the jrsc, they just dont push enough air.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
the problem with sc's is that they dont make any big ones for hondas. you'll have trouble making over 250whp with the jrsc, they just dont push enough air.
Good point - I was going for a reliable way to make good torque from the bottom. But if you want more power, SC probably isn't the way to go.

The problem is that Honda 4-cyl engines (with the exception of the K) spin *backwards* as opposed to the rest of the world. That's why the transmission is on the other side of the car as opposed to most other FWD vehicles. This makes no problems when turbocharging, but you need special superchargers in order to work properly. You could probably *rig* something, but that destroys the purpose of supercharging in the first place, the plug-and-play reliable simplicity.

Combining that with the idea of a bunch of torque steer, looks like best bet is compact turbo + LSD... In my opinion, of course. Just remember that the turbo is the smallest bit of the equation... there's a lot of other support work that has to be done.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends on your financial situation. But being the kind of person I am I would strongly suggest you see your b16 build through to the end and see the kind of numbers you get. None of us know your enthusiasm for cars or "these" cars in particular.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sr420Det
57 trim sounds bout right. If ur on street tires and below 100mph, once that things kicks to the high cam it will b spinning no matter what. So what do u need torque for son?
ya, no lie here! this guy that owns a local tire/service center had i believe a 98 ex coupe
with a b16a2, stock head mildly built block from what i kno, he made around 450whp on pump
gas and in the 500's on race gas. he has to do like 80 pulls to not spin, he balded drag slicks
in less than a mth without doing a single burnout!! it's redic fur shur, he's shootin for 600whp this summer
from what i hear
Old 04-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b16's fur shur r great motors, kitten-cougar instantly yes that's kinda corny lol but it makes sense
Old 04-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think im pushing more toward building and tunning the B16a2. I know a few guys already who have tuned and buil there B16a2 buckets and they have made some pretty good numbers the only thing im missing are the Pistons, injectors, intake manifold and maybe another ECU. My buddy just tuned his with just about the same mods I have and he came out with 177.22hp and 121.62tq so i guess thats not to bad for all motor. If I can get close to that atleast then I'll be happy then I'll sell it and get something else to play with haha.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

See mikeJ94civex I wouldn't know what the to do with THAT much POWER other then wrap my *** around a freakin tree lmao. Thats insane and on top of that he wants even more power thank you but no thanks he kinda sounds like this guy I use to know in PA. He had a 98ex coupe it looked like crap but he later fixed her up and he had about the same numbers I would never ride with him though lol.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaman991
See mikeJ94civex I wouldn't know what the to do with THAT much POWER other then wrap my *** around a freakin tree lmao. Thats insane and on top of that he wants even more power thank you but no thanks he kinda sounds like this guy I use to know in PA. He had a 98ex coupe it looked like crap but he later fixed her up and he had about the same numbers I would never ride with him though lol.
ya lol i never rode in the car myself but a few of my buddies have, they all said u cant pull ur back
off the seat and he hits 100mph faster than this guys gsr while spinning tire!! i agree with u tho all i need
is a 14sec car and i'm happy

btw he has this huge decal in his rear window that reads "god invented boost lag to give v8's a chance" lmao
i love that!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of wheels are you using on your civic? sorry for the offtopic.

Quick Reply: I need to make a DECISION.