Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need help saving my EM1 (engine head reassembly)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 I need help saving my EM1 (engine head reassembly)

Background:
About 6 months ago my civic died of a head gasket failure and oil in the coolant. I sent it into a shop to be fixed because doing that kind of repair on my daily myself scared me. They came back and told me that my camshaft had marks on it so basically I'd need a whole new engine head. They then called a few scrap yards around them and found that all the available engine heads had the same markings that mine did, so he quoted me upwards of $2,000 for a brand new head from Honda. Seeing as this is a relatively clean, but far from perfect 17 year old car with 240k miles, I chickened out, had it towed home, and it's been sitting in my yard ever since with the engine disassembled under the hood.

Questions:
---Is this a futile project?
-The car has a ton of new stuff and was the perfect driving machine before it died. A whole lot of love and care went into making it run perfectly and it did so without a hiccup before it overheated (never red-line overheated, maybe 3/4th of the temp gauge before I pulled over and had it towed to the shop).
-The engine components have been exposed to the weather more or less. The hood was always closed, but the bare engine block was exposed underneath the hood for probably close to 5 or 6 months through the cold and snow, as well as everything else in there. Will it ever run again?
-I'm going to try to do this without removing the engine block, Is that possible? Does it need to be machined too?
---If not, where do I start?
-I have everything that came from the car when it was running all piled up in a box in the front seat of the car.
-Should I try to use as much of this as I can? or should I try to find a complete engine head to use?
-I Have a buddy with another disassembled Y8 engine head which might have better components than mine, but his had more miles (300k) vs mine with 240k. Should I mix and match?

In conclusion:
I am fairly experienced with a wrench, on this car in particular, but this is BY FAR the most complicated and involved thing I've ever attempted. (I haven't even taken a valve cover off before for fear of messing something up) but I figure now that I have a daily driver I have nothing but a couple bucks to loose by trying my best to save my first car. I know I will be relying a lot of these forums and my friends to figure out what I'm doing, so I thank anyone on here who's willing to take their time to tell me my *** from my elbows. Here goes nothing!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: I need help saving my EM1 (engine head reassembly)

First, can you clarify what engine you have in the car ??? Your title says "EM1" which would suggest you have a B16A2... however, near the bottom of your post, you mentioned your buddy has a "Y8" head... which is a single cam engine. Single cam parts don't work on dual cam engines. If you actually have a D16Y8 engine in the car, you can buy a solid used engine for less than the $2000 head casting cost and eliminate the potential issues with a six month exposure to the elements.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
First, can you clarify what engine you have in the car ??? Your title says "EM1" which would suggest you have a B16A2... however, near the bottom of your post, you mentioned your buddy has a "Y8" head... which is a single cam engine. Single cam parts don't work on dual cam engines. If you actually have a D16Y8 engine in the car, you can buy a solid used engine for less than the $2000 head casting cost and eliminate the potential issues with a six month exposure to the elements.

Probably would be cheaper for him to just get a JDM engine and swap it in. If only he were near my garage...
Old 01-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Thanks for the reply! Sorry I forgot to actually clarify that I do indeed have a d16y8 engine block in there as it's the EX model not the SI. I would totally go for an entire engine but I don't really have the tools, equipment, or manpower needed to drop out a whole engine and hoist a new one in. And my budget for this project is limited to a few hundred dollars. So that kinda rules out "JRCivic1"'s idea about a JDM swap. Don't get me wrong I'd love more power, but I really just want this car to run again. I'm fairly confident everything in that car can withstand the cold, I've driven it through a winter before, the only thing that concerns me is my exposed cylinder walls and piston heads and whatnot. Is it possible with some swear words and starter fluid to get it running with a different head? is there anything I can do to prep the mating surfaces and clean out the cylinders like some alcohol pads or something? Sorry for all the questions lol, I really do appreciate the help
Old 01-31-2018, 12:34 PM
Trial User

My Suggestion:

Go to the nearest Pick-N-Pull Junkyard and look for a Civic EX with a clean Head. The used head should be under $100. The total price of the repair should be under $150 (Used Head, Head Gasket, Anti-Freeze and other misc items).
Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just rebuilt my b16a2 engine in car. Removed oil pan, head pushed pistons/rods out through top. Resurfaced/cleaned up head. used flex hone dingleberry tool to deglaze hone cylinders, installed eagle rods, arp head studs, npr 10:5:1 pistons with npr rings, acl std bearings. runs great!

I did this because it was burning oil and leaking. Does not do either anymore.

I did a lot of reading and all that and took my time it took about 3 weeks on and off between work etc.

Read about 'how to turbo your honda part 2' on youtube and you should be set.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cupajoe
I just rebuilt my b16a2 engine in car. Removed oil pan, head pushed pistons/rods out through top. Resurfaced/cleaned up head. used flex hone dingleberry tool to deglaze hone cylinders, installed eagle rods, arp head studs, npr 10:5:1 pistons with npr rings, acl std bearings. runs great!

I did this because it was burning oil and leaking. Does not do either anymore.

I did a lot of reading and all that and took my time it took about 3 weeks on and off between work etc.

Read about 'how to turbo your honda part 2' on youtube and you should be set.
Very interesting, sounds like fun too, how much did all of those parts end up costing you? Also there's a fair layer of rust and corrosion on the underside of my car and a lot of the engine bolts, does that rule out a lot of these upgrades? (I even had to cut my exhaust bolts because they all rounded off with the rust... damn michigan)
Old 02-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupajoe;51547122

I just rebuilt my b16a2 engine in car. Removed oil pan, head pushed pistons/rods out through top. Resurfaced/cleaned up head. used flex hone dingleberry tool to deglaze hone cylinders, installed eagle rods, arp head studs, npr 10:5:1 pistons with npr rings, acl std bearings. runs great...
Sounds like my project, 'cept I kept my old rods and pistons. Went w/ new rings...
Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Sounds like my project, 'cept I kept my old rods and pistons. Went w/ new rings...
How hard is it to change your rings? is that a good thing to do while I'm looking at them without the head on?
Old 02-04-2018, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Murphy
How hard is it to change your rings? is that a good thing to do while I'm looking at them without the head on?
Well you will have to pull the rod/piston assemblies.

Not sure how comfortable you are with that?

I wanted to measure my pistons and cylinders and if good, then de-glaze the cylinders with a ball hone.