Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need help identifying a noise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 11:35 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help identifying a noise...

I have a 1992 honda civic hatch si. It has the stock motor with intake and exhaust.

My car starts up fine. It shifts fine , clutch engugement is great. But, when i start the car up and let go of the clutch pedel, I start to hear this rotational - spinning- grind. Like something is loose. Now when i depress the clutch pedal the spinning slows and the evenutally stops and the nose is gone. but as soon as i let the pedel back down the spinning-grinding starts up again.

Now Like i said, the car doesnt fall out of gear, i have no problem getting into any gear at any time. and the clutch doesnt slip at all. but the noise has been getting worse. Now since the noise goes away when i pess down the clutch pedal i thought it might have something to do with the clutch/Pressure Plate/Throw out bearing since those things are lifted off the flywheel when the clutch pedal is depressed. And they start to spin again when the pedal is released and the clutch is reatched to the flywheels.

I had the exact same problem with my old 96 GSR. The Trans was as strong as ever and the same noise was happening.

BTW..the car has the stock motor, stage 2 exedy clutch, and 96k on the odometer.

Can anyone give me some insite to what the problem might be?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help identifying a noise... (Lookinaround)

sounds like the a bad bearing in the transmission. It's nothing big.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:42 AM
New User

Default Re: I need help identifying a noise... (JdelMsolG)

Yeah i just talked to shop and they said it might be a bad release bearing. The noise is getting louder and more annoying.

Ive never replaces anything having to do with the clutch/trans so i guess i just take it to the shop. Man labor is gonna kill me.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help identifying a noise... (JdelMsolG)

Yeah sounds like a bearing... It kind of is a big deal, because lets say its the Input shaft bearing.... If you leave it in there too long it will eventually break... The bearing has little ***** in it, when it breaks, they will float around your tranny... It will get jammed in a gear, then it will go CLUNK... Then you are stranded somewhere because you can not put it in any gear...

You dont HAVE to change it right right now, but do it in the near future because it will eventually leave you on the side of the road...

Search ---> bearing inspect and theres a "How to"...

Good luck....
Old 06-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help identifying a noise... (PRcivicHB)

wait... does it make noise when you push the clutch in and hold it? or when you driving in gear? or when you are in neutral???
Old 06-13-2006, 12:15 PM
New User

makes noise when the clutch pedal is released. Does not matter which gear or if its in neut.

Also make noise while driving when the clutch is engauged.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats the push out bearing on the clutch... Its easier to change, just buy a $12 Haynes manual from auto parts store... It shows you... Its like changing a clutch almost....
Old 06-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably not the (clutch) throwout bearing.

If it that bearing was going bad it'd make noise when you pressed down on the clutch. When the clutch is released (pedal fully up), the throwout bearing isn't used anymore, so the noise would go away at that point. He's hearing the reverse of that.

It's probably your input shaft bearing or another bearing in the transmissions. The ISB does go bad a lot more often than the other transmission bearings so odds are it's that.

My ISB has been making noise ever since I had the new clutch installed...

BTW, don't get me wrong - you're welcome to lube up the throwout bearing. It is possible that is the source of the noise, and it's cheap to wholesale replace if you want to go that route. Just be aware that if you go that route it may not make a difference.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help identifying a noise... (MonkeyBoy668)

I still dont understand when its making the noise.... Id have to personally drive the car to be able to tell for sure...

EDIT: ^^^ The guy above me is right... ^^^ When i read it the first time, I thought it was the ISB...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:56 PM
New User

Ok let me spell it out for you.

I get in the car, press the clutch pedal down and start the car. When i left go of the clutch pedal (releaseing it so it comes back up) the noise begins. But when i press the clutch pedal down again the noise will slow and go away.

Now when im about to start off im in neutral and the clutch pedal is not being pressed down. I can hear the noise, but the moment i push the pedal down (lifting the pressure plate/and clutch disk) the noise slows and stops. But then if i shif into first and engauge the clutch the noise starts up. but the moment i push the clutch pedal in again, in gear or not in gear, the noise slows and stops.

BTW, thanks for the help!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the ISB, I have the same noise that you do. It sounds like you are taking two pieces of sheet metal and are sliding them together, correct?

I for whatever reason decided not to change mine when I was in there putting in a new clutch. It's really jammed in there, and I guess I didn't feel like taking it out, nor was I thinking about the sound. D'oh.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
New User

Default Re: I need help identifying a noise... (SovXietday)

Yeah its freakin annoying,,,, yin yin yin yin yin yin yin YIN YIN YIN YIN YIN.."WTF is that"
Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PRcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I still dont understand when its making the noise.... Id have to personally drive the car to be able to tell for sure...

EDIT: ^^^ The guy above me is right... ^^^ When i read it the first time, I thought it was the ISB...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a noise, but its not grinding, its more of a fery faint "shhhhhhh" noise when i let off the clutch when im not in gear. sorta sounds cool, but ive thought it might be bearing about to go bad.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
New User

Default Re: I need help identifying a noise... (wspcivic)

Man to me any noise other then the motor idleing, my intake or my exhaust is a bad noise!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I need help identifying a noise... (wspcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wspcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a noise, but its not grinding, its more of a fery faint "shhhhhhh" noise when i let off the clutch when im not in gear. sorta sounds cool, but ive thought it might be bearing about to go bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If it makes you feel any better, mine's been making exactly that noise for over a year. I figure if it ever gets louder I'll capitulate... then again if it still hasn't gotten any noisier come winter I'll change my tune, no point in playing with fire - that's the 2 year mark.

BTW - I thought the ISB couldn't be replaced without taking the transmission apart?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (justchilling)

If it makes the noise when you push the pedal down its the clutch bearing... If it makes it when its up or in gear driving around, its the ISB (you have to take it apart to change that one)....

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873
Old 06-14-2006, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PRcivicHB)

Definately ISB, or transmission related.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:15 AM
New User

Default Re: (Chem Geek)

Ok so the shop def said its transmission related. They also said its most likely the ISB like you all said. Im picking the car up from the shop this afternoon.

Should i try to replace the bearing myself or should i take the trans to a transmission shop?

Im pretty mechanicly enclined, i got all the tools and such, and i have a haynes maneul...what the call here felllas?