Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I JUST Got a Honda Civic. Need some answers. Im a real Car Newbie! Please help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **I just got a Honda Civic. Need some answers. Im a real Car Newbie! Please help me out!**

Ok so I got a Honda Civic 1996 Coupe 2 Door.
I would like to add a whole Audio system to the car.

I currently live in canada, so I have to spend Canadian currency, incase that will help in your answers. I really prefer to buy Audio parts on Ebay but if there is a better place please Lead me in the right direction if you can.

So I came here, because well Its a Honda forum, and I guess it's the best place to get some answers. So my questions about an Audio System are:

My Friends said These are the things that I requrie:
-Speakers
-Subwoofer
-Mp3 Player (Deck)
-Amplifier

Please if you can explain why I need these things, what they are used for and if I really need each one of them. Also how much will this cost me and Where should I buy them?

I mean, Can I not just buy speakers and a Mp3 player for the car, and two subwoofers? What is this Amplifier thing? What is it used for?

Is there something else I would need to buy? Is that too much? I would just like the best possible audio Set up with a good price.

Please educate me if you can
Thanks for your time.

/Andy
Old 10-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: **I just got a Honda Civic. Need some answers. Im a real Car Newbie! Please help me out!** (****

you need the amplifier for power to the big woofers. The deck does not provide enough power, the amplifier gets it's power directly from the battery. Its attached to the battery by a really thick wire, with a big fuse on it, then it connects directly to the amp.
You will need to ground the amp on the chasis, whick means for the negative terminal on the amp you just put a wire to that and a wire to the car under a bolt or something and tighten it up. THen you need to run a wire from the deck to the amp, this is usually a blue color from the deck, you run this into the amp for signal, or else the amp wont work. You'll also need RCA cables from the deck to the amp, this is for signal also. The deck and amp should have all the "terminals/areas of interest" already there so that's the easy part. Then you jus need to connect all the speaker wire from the woofers/speakers to the amp. there's so much to explain, maybe try to search on "howstuffworks.com"
Old 10-04-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: **I just got a Honda Civic. Need some answers. Im a real Car Newbie! Please help me out!** (****

Okes, here are the basics...

The headunit is the brain of the stereo, most (all) aftermarket headunits have small amps built into them already which is sufficient to run your speakers in the car (you have midrange speakers in the doors, tweeters in the door corners and midrange in the rear deck of the car.

Now, if you want bass, you can either upgrade the rear speakers to a mid-bass speaker (same size, just beefier woofer/speaker cone) or you can get a subwoofer. If you get a subwoofer, you will need an amp to power the subwoofer plus an amp wiring kit.

Usually, as I am guessing you don't want to be all bling boom blang, a single 10" subwoofer will do ya fine. A nice 200 watt amp will be sufficient to run said sub.

Now for the prices and brands:
entry level headunit that plays MP3 cds: 150-300. I suggest sony or alpine. Both have great decks that have multiple features and are pretty much bullet proof.

speakers (only if you want to replace the factory ones: 150-300 a pair. You can get a component set (speaker, crossover/bass blocker, and a tweeter or get a coaxial speaker which has the tweeter already attached to the speaker. I again suggest sony or polk audio.

subwoofer: 50-300. Go with a nice JL Audio 10" sub. The best you can afford. The beefier the sub, the bigger the box and power you will need to run it.

sub box: 50 bucks or upwards to 500ish bucks for a custom job.

amp to run sub: 100-400. I would go Alpine for amps as they are clean as hell and have never let me down.

amp wiring kit: 50 bucks. ask the salesmen what guage wire you need based on the amp power

Good luck mang! Feel free to IM me with questions.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:37 PM

Ok For the first thing im just look to buy a cd player for the honda an Mp3.
My car doesnt take cds right now so what would i have to buy from these:

I know the store is expensive, but just look around at the products and what would I need:

Car Deck ( http://www.futureshop.ca/catal...=1101 )
AND
Car CD Changer ( http://www.futureshop.ca/catal...=1117 )

Or does the CAR DECK take cds?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:39 PM

whoa.. honda-tech didn't bash a noob.. odd. good job guys

<oops this was a double post here> <EDIT OUT>
Old 10-04-2005, 01:43 PM

f that place mang, go to http://www.crutchfield.com for good deals or try the classified section on this place.

Also, with an MP3 cd player, you won't need a changer when you can fit 8 full albums on a single cd
Old 10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watch out for future shop... they run on comission so the guys there will sell you the most random bs they can find and make you think you need it.

when i went up to canada this summer i was checking out some things and i got some pretty whacky salespeople. never going back to futureshop
Old 10-04-2005, 02:43 PM

inbefor deleted hopefully.