Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!!

i got a ticket for a loud exhaust but now i'm running with a itr polish stock exhaust like always i go to chp for the approval and they say i have to go to the ref just so they can hear my exhaust stupid cops . so im wondering what should i expect from the ref . i have 98 civic dx ,cold air intake,headers,2.5 piping ,8.5 sparkplugwires. should i be prepared for something. thanks for help
Old 08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!! (Jdmcivic98)

Is the header Carb legal? If not put the stock one back on. Cold air carb legal? if not put the stock one back. I would just put the whole piping back to stock, if you can. The less mods you have the better. Just put the whole car back to stock it will make things easy.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!! (JDM CTR '00)

Search! this has been covered

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=867722
Old 08-13-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!! (JDM CTR '00)

nothing is legal cosmo intake , obx header , obx plugs ,
Old 08-13-2004, 12:29 PM

Change out your basic bolt- ons with your stock parts, if you kept em of course. It simple man.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jdmcivic98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nothing is legal cosmo intake , obx header , obx plugs , </TD></TR></TABLE>

Shouldn't matter....you are only there for a decible level check, not emissions part check.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!! (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shouldn't matter....you are only there for a decible level check, not emissions part check.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what if the Ref, decides to open and look whats under his hood?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!! (stockegsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what if the Ref, decides to open and look whats under his hood?</TD></TR></TABLE>

they just want to verify the motor in the car is the one that came with it when it rolled of the assembly line. if you have a swap then that changes everything.

btw where we're you pulled over???
Old 08-13-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!! (eg6si)

no engine swap orig. engine
Old 08-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with all those non carb approved bolt ons, they will send you home. Trust me
Old 08-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!! (eg6si)

Actually i have a swap in my car that WAS NOT bar certified. I still passed the sound decibal test for my exhaust ticket (es oval). These is a big HOWEVER, in this case. They checked my car (94 CX) and verified that it had a 1.5 liter engine in it - i have a JDM D15B engine swapped. They seen that i had a 1.5 liter engine, and went on with the test, without verifying that i had it BAR certified or anything of that nature. All they wanted to know was that there was still a 1.5 still in there.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:42 PM

i spoke to a the person on the phone that setup my appointment and he said that i am only going for what i got cited and shoul'nt worry (he was real cool ) he ask me if i had a intake i said yes and also headers he said it was alright just as long that it's not loud but im still worried
Old 08-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with all those non carb approved bolt ons, they will send you home. Trust me</TD></TR></TABLE>

NOPE! I went and they poped my hood to check the oil level. I have a turbo setup on there, and a show-only nitrous system. They said the any nitrous stuff is illegal, but I'm there for a exhaust/sound check only and they can't do anything about emissions parts. They will only check the sound level on the car and make sure all your fluid levels are full.

They can ONLY check for what your were CITED for. They are NOT there to be SMOG POLICE. Can only verify setups after you have been given a ticket for it.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:33 PM

Seeing that your in LA, you should try to set up the appointment at the EL camino college ref. I went there and the ref was pretty cool. Hell, everyone of the students there had some type of modified car. All of those cars were definitely louder than 95 db. He did check my motor, cause I had a gross polluter ticket as well as the modified exhaust. He bassically said, I don't care what you have on your car, as long as it is carb exempt. He actually pushed me to fight the ticket, he hates cops who give tickets for false reasons. All I payed was $10 bucks for processing on a $500 ticket.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have to go see the bar ref for my exhaust help!! (sinister00)

is EL Camino really that cool..? cuz I've been through many other refs and they're all bastards...I've just got my REF ticket as of yesterday..I've been searching up the websites and forums for ways to pass it..some ppl say that you can just pay it off and some say you can't...so what's the deal.?..ne thing would help...I got the tickets for modified emissions and modified muffler....since some say that we could just pay the fine...would that cover for the muffler and emissions or just emissions..? I have an Apexi N1 NA exhaust with a CAT and everything..it's not even that loud he just gave me the ticket cuz i was rollin with my buddy that downshifted next to me...(that bastard) and he got us both for that....oh yea..and I had to stand there and argue with the cop too..he popped my hood and started to point at everything...1st he said is that intake legal..i'm like yeah cuz it has the EO CARB # on there (comptech icebox) and then he said it's ok..and then went on to my headers..i'm like those are stock man..he insisted they're not..i'm like dood that's an OEM heatshield u can buy that at any Acura dealership..and then he skipped onto the next..and he finally got me for my fuel pressure regulator..i'm like "what"?..i told him that the CHP said it's ok unless the fuel rail is modified but i'm runnin on a stock one...but yeah that's how I got a ref ticket...so if you guys could have ne suggestion let me know ne thing would help..if you could..thank you

btw I have a stock JDM ITR in an EG but i made everything stock or OEM as possible...