Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just talked to an aquaintance of mine and he works as a smog tech, so I'm assuming he's pretty knowledgeable about what he's talking about. He said that if you get pulled over and a cop checks your engine, he's gonna check for a BAR label in your door, and if there isn't a sticker that nowadays they'll impound and crush the car, no questions asked.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: (SoCal EJ1)

Hopefully Planning to pay the fine and does anyone know how to remove and restamp engine code ?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 PM

[<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MEH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's true what John666 said..... In CA the CHP needs a search warrant to search your car, trunk or engine compartment unless you give them probable cause. If they stop you make sure you pull over right away cuz if you take a while then they can say you were trying to hide something, so just pull over right away and your good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probable cause means nothing unless your hiding drugs or guns. You have an exhaust or you car is lowered and thats enough probable cause to search your car for illegal aftermarket parts. If they don't find any, hey, they just give you a ticket for your modified exhaust
Old 02-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jay_cue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jay_cue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Restamping it isn't going to do anything for you. If you got a referee ticket, you have to go to a state inspector. They'll make sure everything is hooked up right, including smog equipment, correct ecu etc. Then they do an smog test. So your car will have to pass smog too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep went to a state ref...got a ticket for a intake on my bone stock Y8...they still smogged me haha...
Old 02-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Carbonyl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carbonyl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[

Probable cause means nothing unless your hiding drugs or guns. You have an exhaust or you car is lowered and thats enough probable cause to search your car for illegal aftermarket parts. If they don't find any, hey, they just give you a ticket for your modified exhaust </TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly. If you say no when a cop asks you to pop your hood, that refusal in itself is enough probable cause. But by then, you're on the cops bad side so he'll play your side of the game and call in to recieve a search warrant and he'll make sure it takes a long time. You're looking at a 2-3 hour pull-over.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 AM
New User

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ukiah, you are safe cause you are in the basic area of smog. you guys only have the two speed idle test, no dynamometer testing. so basically you lucky cause they are not as strict on that county, YET</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya YET is a worry. I just moved to Ukiah acutally. I used to live in Santa Rosa. Drove to SF and San Jose all the time. Got me worried now to drive down there. CHP's in the Bay sending people to the ref often?

Also major to FMR for even knowing where Ukiah is! haha.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MEH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MEH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will work, my homie that built my car has got out of tickets that way. He even has his own stamp that says "jerrybuilt"</TD></TR></TABLE>

while it MAY work for a while it is HIGHLY illegal. thats as illegal as changing vins. thats jail time...over a ref ticket... not worth it. course you have to get caught first i suppose

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just talked to an aquaintance of mine and he works as a smog tech, so I'm assuming he's pretty knowledgeable about what he's talking about. He said that if you get pulled over and a cop checks your engine, he's gonna check for a BAR label in your door, and if there isn't a sticker that nowadays they'll impound and crush the car, no questions asked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your aquaintance is mistaken. cars get smashed for racing in some citys and counties....not for an illegal motor swap. you are just sent to a state ref station (which is owned and operated by the state of California, and you cant buy them off...) and you have to pass smog.

The impound part CAN be correct. i've ahd a lot of friends pulled and hit with a ref ticket around here in Ontario/Montclair and only a couple have had their car impounded, both for a month, and upon replease they had to be taken to a state ref station and if they didnt pass them the registration is revoked and moved to a non-op setting. Depending on the department you will/may get some sort of emissions ticket (which are pretty expensive from what i hear)

you then have to swap stock everything back in, or build your swap to pass. pain in the ***.

what i've heard that has worked (and worked much better than the SUPER illegal grind and re-stamp method) is if you swap your b16 or gsr make sure they are swapped in so they will legally ref. get them Ca BARRED and them build the internals. you're car will be stamped (or stickered) proudly proclaiming its street legalness so cops cant really expletive with you.

and just try to keep things that are visible (intake and header) carb legal, and even with a swap most cops wont mess with you. and if you're going to get rid of your car punch the stock one out and bolt it back up...same as a test pipe and it looks stock.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: (Pr0ject93hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pr0ject93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">while it MAY work for a while it is HIGHLY illegal. thats as illegal as changing vins. thats jail time...over a ref ticket... not worth it. course you have to get caught first i suppose

your aquaintance is mistaken. cars get smashed for racing in some citys and counties....not for an illegal motor swap. you are just sent to a state ref station (which is owned and operated by the state of California, and you cant buy them off...) and you have to pass smog.

The impound part CAN be correct. i've ahd a lot of friends pulled and hit with a ref ticket around here in Ontario/Montclair and only a couple have had their car impounded, both for a month, and upon replease they had to be taken to a state ref station and if they didnt pass them the registration is revoked and moved to a non-op setting. Depending on the department you will/may get some sort of emissions ticket (which are pretty expensive from what i hear)

you then have to swap stock everything back in, or build your swap to pass. pain in the ***.

what i've heard that has worked (and worked much better than the SUPER illegal grind and re-stamp method) is if you swap your b16 or gsr make sure they are swapped in so they will legally ref. get them Ca BARRED and them build the internals. you're car will be stamped (or stickered) proudly proclaiming its street legalness so cops cant really expletive with you.

and just try to keep things that are visible (intake and header) carb legal, and even with a swap most cops wont mess with you. and if you're going to get rid of your car punch the stock one out and bolt it back up...same as a test pipe and it looks stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he is B20v not b16 .. he wants to carve b16a2 on his bottom block
Old 02-26-2007, 02:56 AM

i dont know if im to late but. if you can, drop your b16 back in and take it threw inspection to clown on those guys then jump your b20 back in. headsup if it worked man!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pr0ject93hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pr0ject93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

your aquaintance is mistaken. cars get smashed for racing in some citys and counties....not for an illegal motor swap. you are just sent to a state ref station (which is owned and operated by the state of California, and you cant buy them off...) and you have to pass smog. </TD></TR></TABLE>
He told me this (most likely referring to a JDM motor). I had hopes of getting a JDM ITR motor cuz I can get a good deal on it, and he said if the cop pops the hood and sees the B18C without a VIN, he's gonna check for the BAR sticker. He said no sticker = crushed car. I was kinda thrown off as well because I saw on the news recently that if they find stolen parts on your car, they'll crush it, but I've never heard anything about getting it crushed just because it doesnt have a BAR label.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt see anyone state the fact that you would be BUSTED for sure if you re stamped or welded or mod'ed your b20 block code...

Did you all forget that a b20 is not a vtec block and would have a VTEC OIL line hanging off the back of the head = BUSTED

Swap a OEM b16a2 short block back in. Save time and money.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: (havok hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by havok hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt see anyone state the fact that you would be BUSTED for sure if you re stamped or welded or mod'ed your b20 block code...

Did you all forget that a b20 is not a vtec block and would have a VTEC OIL line hanging off the back of the head = BUSTED

Swap a OEM b16a2 short block back in. Save time and money. </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you actually think pigs know what a VTEC OIL LINE is and look for one? i doubt it someone with a LS/V w/ "VTEC oil line" hanging got pulled over did he get caught ?? nope cops most only look at the numbers bud
Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ThaSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThaSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do you actually think pigs know what a VTEC OIL LINE is and look for one? i doubt it someone with a LS/V w/ "VTEC oil line" hanging got pulled over did he get caught ?? nope cops most only look at the numbers bud</TD></TR></TABLE>

You tool... The Ref is gonna find the oil line...

Old 02-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by havok hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You tool... The Ref is gonna find the oil line...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The REF finds everything, that is their job. Just because they aren't fully into the import scene doesnt mean they aren't given the knowledge needed to fully do their job. And if you stamp your block they are going to know (dirty worn block with a fresh surface). You have a light truck engine in your car. Everything from the ecu to the smog equipment is going to be checked thoroughly. I couldn't imagine BAR and the pigs would also go to all that trouble just for you to pay a $300 dollar fine and avoid inspection. Even if this is so, how many fines are you going to pay before it adds up to what you would have spent putting an engine in that can be BAR'D? Should have went with LS.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The REF finds everything, that is their job. Just because they aren't fully into the import scene doesnt mean they aren't given the knowledge needed to fully do their job. And if you stamp your block they are going to know (dirty worn block with a fresh surface). You have a light truck engine in your car. Everything from the ecu to the smog equipment is going to be checked thoroughly. I couldn't imagine BAR and the pigs would also go to all that trouble just for you to pay a $300 dollar fine and avoid inspection. Even if this is so, how many fines are you going to pay before it adds up to what you would have spent putting an engine in that can be BAR'D? Should have went with LS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

AMEN.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I gotta say is living a Cali must suck. I live in washington and I dont even have to do emissions.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:04 PM

but yes if you decide to go to the ref and not pay to avoid the ticket then yes the stamp is useless but if he avoid the ticket and replace the stamp maybe next time he wont get a ref ticket because it look like he fixed it duhh...
Old 02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP already got a ticket. Check the thread title.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThaSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but yes if you decide to go to the ref and not pay to avoid the ticket then yes the stamp is useless but if he avoid the ticket and replace the stamp maybe next time he wont get a ref ticket because it look like he fixed it duhh... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dirty block full of grease and wear n' tear... then you have a fresh shinny piece of the block right where the stamp is placed. Do you think they will notice? Are you taking it to a blind REF or do you just think you have an amazing story to tell? Its not going to work.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!! (ShrimpCrab)

you shouldnt have opened the hood..if you havent dont anything illegally wrong..he doesnt even have the right to pull you over....

you should fight for it.. that is what I would do.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM

it is true what you say socal ej1....which sucks...
Old 02-26-2007, 08:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dirty block full of grease and wear n' tear... then you have a fresh shinny piece of the block right where the stamp is placed. Do you think they will notice? Are you taking it to a blind REF or do you just think you have an amazing story to tell? Its not going to work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

just dirty it up after your done stamping, still not a good idea, but you must be a ******* moron
Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think they have the right to pop your hood if there has been street racing reported and you weren't caught on the scene. Honestly cops shouldn't randomly pull over cars and pop their hood for no f%$#ing reason when you were just cruising home. You should of told him to bring a tow truck over because my friend once randomly got pulled over and a cop asked him to pop his hood and he said no so the cop told him hes calling a tow truck made him step out the car and made him sit on the curb and turns out 10 minutes later the cop told him to leave.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (typeR564)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by typeR564 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think they have the right to pop your hood if there has been street racing reported and you weren't caught on the scene. Honestly cops shouldn't randomly pull over cars and pop their hood for no f%$#ing reason when you were just cruising home. You should of told him to bring a tow truck over because my friend once randomly got pulled over and a cop asked him to pop his hood and he said no so the cop told him hes calling a tow truck made him step out the car and made him sit on the curb and turns out 10 minutes later the cop told him to leave.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would do that if i had a legalized swap or a stock motor and the cop was just trying to be a dick...

Cops FTL
Old 02-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (typeR564)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by typeR564 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think they have the right to pop your hood if there has been street racing reported and you weren't caught on the scene. Honestly cops shouldn't randomly pull over cars and pop their hood for no f%$#ing reason when you were just cruising home. You should of told him to bring a tow truck over because my friend once randomly got pulled over and a cop asked him to pop his hood and he said no so the cop told him hes calling a tow truck made him step out the car and made him sit on the curb and turns out 10 minutes later the cop told him to leave.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they can pull you over for anything suspicious with that new law that passed here in cali last year (or like 8 months ago or whatnot). they dont need propable cause anymore. all you have to have is rims or a lowered car or an exhaust and you're not a legal target. the import racing scene may have slightly died on the streets, but they know we're spending our money on swaps, they're not stupid. many police forces actually have books with the years of cars listed that shows matching engine codes on the block. so they know, they arent stupid.

its the price we all pay to have fun.

sucks though

Quick Reply: I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!!